How much of The Bible have you read? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2004, 07:11 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:08 AM
I have read whatever bits the Quaker missionaries forced me to read as a child. And no more.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:49 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:08 PM
I've read the KJV three times and another translation (can't remember what it's called...not the NIV... ) once, as well as the Apocrypha.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:37 AM   #18
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:08 PM
I read 80% of the bible several times, a 2 months ago i decided to read the bible from the begining to the end in 2 different ranslations, incl. the parts i'm not interested in.

My relationship with God?
I think 80sU2isBest said it best, so i'll quote him here:
"Folks, I LOVE THE LORD!"
Old 05-26-2004, 12:32 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:08 AM
I've read all of it, but I guess that's kind of required when you get a degree in it.

Sorry to hear that some of you have been forced into reading. That's no way to raise someone in faith. But before I get off topic . . .

Let me highly recommend The Message by Eugene Peterson. Whether you're a brand new Christian, an old faithful, or are just spiritually seeking, this translation is an excellent way to read through the Bible (and highly recommended by Bono). I've had to read certain passages of Scripture so many times, but the straightforward and up-to-date language that Peterson uses made me see the Bible in a whole new way. Just a thought.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 12:08 PM
During the fall of 2002, I joined a Biblestraightthru class. The group is reading the Bible straight through and we meet every month to talk about it. I bought "The Message" for the occassion. 18 months later, I still attend the monthly meetings - but haven't been reading. I haven't been able to squeeze in regular reading.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Gosh, I guess I have read most of it except for maybe a couple of the minor prophets. Jeremiah is pretty hard for me to get through also. I also recommend The Message. Check out the back of the hardback edition b/c it has a quote by Bono about it. It is a great read and is extremely helpful. I ususally read the NKJV because it retains the beauty of the KJV and dispenses with the thees, thous, thys, eths, and -ests.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #22
Babyface

if you want to read the bible...

pick up The Message by Eugene Peterson, which is the bible in contemporary language...which means you can read it and actually follow the stories

I found it through a U2 fan who pointed out that Bono's "What can I give back to GOD, for the blessings he's poured out on me?" in the intro to 'Streets' from the Boston Elevation DVD is actually from Psalm 116 from Peterson's translation...
Old 05-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I read 'In the beginning...' and got bored.

Hmm, so you missed the talking donkey, Noah's wild night, Daniel's pet lions? okay last one, not exactly.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:32 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

Hmm, so you missed the talking donkey
So that's where the inspiration for Shrek is from!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:08 AM   #25
Acrobat

Re: How much of The Bible have you read?

Quote:
Originally posted by bugo
i've basically read genesis and half of exodus in a new living translation of The Bible, I was converted last november when I met a guy in a supermarket were i worked who was studying divinity and I tried to catch him out but he had all the answers! I havent read any since a couple of months ago due to exams which i get real stressed out about! anyway hows your Bible reading going and hows your relationship with God if you have one?
thanks for the second opinion on reading john, the "supermarket guy" told me to read that to, i'll get right on it after exodus which i'll read again after the exams!

I think most people are forced into christianity to some degree in their youth, my parents tell me its my own choice although that still didnt stop them sending me to sunday school when i was wee.. i rebelled against that, and had a disagreement with god and how he "sends" people to hell if they dont believe in him even if they are rightous - seemed unfair to me, but i guess im not certain i believe that anymore and i have asked christ into my life again. At the end of the day its up to you whether or not you endorse christianity and to what extent when you are older.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:56 PM   #26
Refugee

none there are too many contradictions.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:05 PM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by isabelle_guns
C'mon, don't you live with any contradictions?

That's what makes life so interesting.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

I just ordered Eugene Peterson's "The Message: Remix." Apparently, it's the same as the original "The Message," except now it has chapter/verse numbers for easier quotation. I'd been curious to check it out for a while now, but I didn't know the title of it!

On an academic front, I also ordered a book on the Dead Sea Scrolls, written by an academic, rather than someone with Judeo-Christian biases, and a copy of the "Nag Hammadi" translations, which is a translation of Egyptian Gnostic texts discovered in 1945. I'm aware that the latter is of dubious morality, but it should be interesting to see how others believed, in the days before Christianity was monopolized.

Melon
Old 05-31-2004, 12:21 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by isabelle_guns
So it must only be based on what others have told you
Old 05-31-2004, 12:30 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, there are contradictions, to a point, but it's understandable, considering the number of different authors and competing philosophies that wrote it over a span of 1000 years or so, not to mention the oral tradition and source texts that likely preceded the texts we have today and the amount of butchering translations that have existed over the past 1900 years since (!).

But, for me, that doesn't mean that there isn't any value in the Bible. It really depends on how you were raised or exposed to Christianity. For those who grew up on a literal, fundamentalist view, then yes, the contradictions might be a bit difficult to bear (except that I've seen plenty of writings that try to dismiss the contradictions, and I agree to a point). For those who grew up on a more liberal view, then it isn't.

I'm really only bothered by the fact that the Bible has been abused over the centuries by many different and competing philosophical movements over the past two millennia. The vagueness of the Bible is a mixed blessing, at times.

Melon