How much jail time for women who have abortions? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #106
She's the One

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
The women I know who've had abortions had varying degrees of difficulty living with that decision...
Real life is indeed a great eye-opener.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
[i]Anti abortionists (i don't like the term pro life, its far too "saintly" for what it stands for) are all religious. I don't think i've ever met a person whos against abortion who is not religious. And thats the crux.
Well, financeguy posted a link of at least one atheist anti-abortionist (or however you like to call them, but I agree with you, this is a bit more neutral).
I'm sure there are more who aren't religious.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #108
War Child

Local Time: 01:46 AM
I'm not religious but I don't support abortion on demand, only in special cases like mother's life or rape, not just because you changed your mind. I am also pro death penalty in extreme cases and pro assisted suicide for the terminally ill, which means I am not pro life. Other than this, I am basically left wing and don't like Bush.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #109
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
I'm not religious but I don't support abortion on demand, only in special cases like mother's life or rape, not just because you changed your mind.
Well, then, let's ask you: What should be the penalty for a woman who undergoes an abortion for a reason you don't support?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:16 AM   #110
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 12:46 PM
see but its a very interesting fact that anti abortionists are all quite often pro death penalty people, which i find very curious

I just don't see the thought process against being anti abortion unless you have some religious convictions. What possible reasons can be behind your thoughts if not "its a baby its alive its gods creation blahdyblah'

Now like everyone who is pro choice i don't actually like abortions and rub my hands with glee when my friend last year went and got one. I sat with her, councilled her, hugged her while she cried a little, got drunk with her and planted a tree with her. Now shes in a relationship, working hard, going overseas for a holiday and that "casual thing" with some coke addict she had last year has not blown into a life long connection and a kid growing up into a place with no money (as she can't work) and no one to help!
Old 08-05-2007, 02:45 AM   #111
Refugee

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:
see but its a very interesting fact that anti abortionists are all quite often pro death penalty people, which i find very curious
Exactly, I don't understand that either. I happen to be pro-life but I am against the death penalty also.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98

Exactly, I don't understand that either. I happen to be pro-life but I am against the death penalty also.
Well this is how it works...killing a guilty murderer is just, killing an innocent unborn child is not. On the surface it seems odd, to be so anti-murder in one scenario but quick to kill in the other, but really it's the guilt or innocence that drives it.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

Well, financeguy posted a link of at least one atheist anti-abortionist (or however you like to call them, but I agree with you, this is a bit more neutral).
I'm sure there are more who aren't religious.
For myself anyway, I'm not religious at all and I was at one time pro-life. It was actually very frustrating for me, as others around me argued against abortion while basing their contentions on faith...and I felt that their faith-based arguments against abortion were basically useless, as the people they argued with didn't share their faith. I felt like the way to convince someone that abortion was wrong was to make a rational argument about the viability of the foetus at various ages, or that the foetus was a separate being rather than just a growth/appendage/extension of the mother...but telling someone who's agnostic at best that abortion should be banned based on the belief that that unborn child is God's creation or whatever certainly isn't going to get anywhere.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #114
War Child

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

Well this is how it works...killing a guilty murderer is just, killing an innocent unborn child is not. On the surface it seems odd, to be so anti-murder in one scenario but quick to kill in the other, but really it's the guilt or innocence that drives it.
Exactly. The baby is an innocent victim of someone else's 'choice' and never got a chance to live. The murderer has, IMO, given up all rights to live and breathe and enjoy life, even in prison, by cruelly and intentionally depriving other people of their lives.

I don't think every single murder should get the death penalty, it should be case by case. If he killed one person in the heat of anger, lock him up for life, but if he molested and tortured 18 kids to death, dismembered their bodies and kept parts in the freezer, that fuck does not deserve to breathe or even eat bread. Get him out of this world. I cannot understand how pro abortionists believe this guy has a right to life and deserves mercy and killing him is wrong, when they're so okay with letting the baby die just because somebody decides they don't feel like dealing with it
Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #115
She's the One

^ You haven't answered my question yet. You've gone into great detail about other penalties, I see.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #116
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 12:46 PM
Uhm, could you not use the phrase PRO ABORTION since it is not what a pro CHOICE person is?

and i believe that no one has the right to take another persons life, even if they decided to take other peoples life. I believe in locking them up for the rest of their lives, studying them to get more clues into why some people seem to be dispositioned to go off the rails, and also, because we don't have a 100% rate of conviction guilty parties. Slimy lawyers that tangle webs to decieve and lie for money can often get in the way of a fair trial. Once you add in emotions it all goes to pot.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
and also, because we don't have a 100% rate of conviction guilty parties
There it is, my single biggest problem with the DP. The legal system, at least in the US, is far from flawless...when you factor in deliberate corruption in the investigation & prosecution, along with the continuing racial bias that sends a disproportionate number of black men to death row...even if you don't believe the DP is ethically wrong the way in which it's applied here certainly is. [/hijack]
Old 08-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Uhm, could you not use the phrase PRO ABORTION since it is not what a pro CHOICE person is?

people who support the right of juries to choose between the death penalty in some capital cases and life prison terms
could be considered pro-choice

likewise, if a person is considered pro-death penalty
because they want it to be an option

then I should be considered pro-abortion
because I want it to be an option
Old 08-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #119
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
people who support the right of juries to choose between the death penalty in some capital cases and life prison terms
could be considered pro-choice
Nonsense. Pro-choice means the woman who is pregnant makes the choice. For your analogy to work, the convict would make the choice.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
I'm not religious but I don't support abortion on demand, only in special cases like mother's life or rape, not just because you changed your mind. I am also pro death penalty in extreme cases and pro assisted suicide for the terminally ill, which means I am not pro life. Other than this, I am basically left wing and don't like Bush.
I don't believe in on-demand, at 8 months term, if it is a healthy pregnancy.

What do you think about the morning after pill or even if someone use a prescription to wash out a fertilized egg within 2- 3 weeks?