How much jail time for women who have abortions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Butterscotch said:
I'm alive today because my Dad pulled my mom out of an abortion clinic when I was minutes away from becoming a 'choice.' He told her he loved her and wanted to take care of her and the baby.
That's great, but most women in that situation are never going to hear that sentiment nor get that promise. You can't force someone, man or woman, to love someone they don't, and you can't force them to love a child either.

dazzlingamy said:
we live in a society where sex is for pleasure, not just for procreation and therefore, we HAVE to have actions in place for things that happen. Abortion is one of them.

After reading through this thread, this quote is the real clincher. Brill!

diamond said:

Thank you for sharing that bscotch.
Your dad did the right thing.

I, as I'm sure others understand your perspective better, regardless of the post counts in support of your views.

dbs

Thank you :hug: It's so nice to have someone understand and respect my views instead of bashing me for causing some one in a million hypothetical woman to 'bleed to death' because of my beliefs. That hurt me so bad I couldn't answer it. I feel sorry for all the babies who 'bleed to death' every day in abortion clinics and all the people who never got a chance to live, because I could have been one of them. All their lives are marked off as a 'choice' and nobody even cares they're dead.

Butterscotch said:
one in a million hypothetical woman to 'bleed to death' because of my beliefs.

As many as 5,000 to 10,000 women died per year following illegal abortions

You need to do more research. Before Roe v. Wade made abortion legal, many many women bled to death as a result of illegal abortions. Before they had access to safe and legal abortions, when young women would show up in an ER with bleeding, the doctors assumed (correctly most of the time) that they were bleeding due to a poorly done, illegal abortion. You can whine about "babies" all you want, and you can try to rustle up sympathy, but as long as you keep posting inaccurate things in this thread, I'll answer them with facts.

Your ignorance on this subject is astounding, yet it doesn't seem to affect your opions at all.

http://www.reproductiverights.org/crt_roe_jbroe.html

Speaking as a parent...there's a lot more to "caring" for a child than being pregnant and giving birth, way way more. It's sacrificing huge amounts of time, money and freedom that you could have spent on other pursuits, some of them 'selfish,' some of them potentially very beneficial to others. It's working together with your partner to decide who's going to be responsible for what, what your goals for your family are, and how you'll maintain your relationship despite the new stresses. It's staying up all night with a sick child to ease their pain a bit when you've got three classes to teach and two meetings to chair the next day, and spending much of what could've been both your free time and your work prep time doing things your kids want to do instead. It's being ready to drop everything in an instant, no matter how awful your day was or how tired you are or how much you've still got to do, because your child needs your direction or help or reassurance right now. It's thrilling in the excitement of watching a growing mind and heart and personality unfold, despite all the disappointments and disasters and moments of alienation and letting go along the way. I could go on and on...But, anyone who isn't able to provide these things shouldn't do it; parenthood isn't meant to be punishment, nor a child a whipping boy for all your accumulated resentments and failures of responsibility. If a woman wants to and is able to offer herself as surrogate mother for free, which is all planned infant adoption is, then great, let her do so. But that's no more 'what Nature intended' than being able to have an abortion is, and either way, the fact that it's voluntary is what distinguishes it from making a woman's body government property.

My mother was never pregnant with a child she didn't want, but she did seriously consider having an abortion when she was pregnant with me, because she had a uterine tumor at the same time and her doctors weren't sure she could 'do' both safely. I have never been bothered by this. :shrug: If I'd never been born, there wouldn't be an 'I' floating around out there whinging about it, and I'm not so arrogant as to think the world wouldn't have marched right on pretty much the same without me. I measure my mother by the kind of parent she was to me all the years I was growing up, not by whether she decided she wanted and was ready enough for another baby 36 years ago to take a medical risk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom