How much jail time for women who have abortions? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:41 PM
OK I did a post & run here, I hate when people do that, and there I am on page one...oops.

Anyway...

I guess my problem with the whole "How much time should she do?" thing is that it just proves that the pro-choice movement really hasn't the first clue to the thought process behind a pro-life stance. I think they've been fed a story about how pro-lifers are nothing but religious fundies, misogynists, and generally narrow-minded fools, so they figure posing a challenging question such as "how much time should she do?" will really stump them. Problem is, pro-lifers see abortion as MURDER. So asking a pro-lifer that question is basically the same as asking a pro-choicer how much time a parent who kills their newborn baby should do.

Personally, if abortion were banned, I'd suggest the harshest penalties for the doctors performing them, not jail time for the women.

Abortion sucks, there's really no getting around that. And I think that's the thing that most pro-lifers don't "get"...I get the sense that a lot of the more vocal opponents of abortion think it's an easy choice that women make, or that pro-choicers actually LIKE abortions and hope for the number of abortions performed to increase. That's dumb. I'm pro-choice, but I'd rather see no abortions happening.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #92
War Child

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BWU2Buffs

This could come in the form of more thorough DNA testing to identify the father when paternity is in doubt.

Or perhaps more legal teeth into the laws that force the men / fathers of the unborn baby to take responsibility for that baby from conception through a college education.

In other words, if you want to do more to PREVENT unwanted pregnancy, ramp up the legal structures around fathers taht help cause unwanted pregnancy in the first place.

There are other means too; but men get off too easy on this issue in my opinion.
Sometimes things are more complicated than just finding who is the father.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #93
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

I guess my problem with the whole "How much time should she do?" thing is that it just proves that the pro-choice movement really hasn't the first clue to the thought process behind a pro-life stance.
You still don't get it...
Old 08-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Quote:
I guess my problem with the whole "How much time should she do?" thing is that it just proves that the pro-choice movement really hasn't the first clue to the thought process behind a pro-life stance. I think they've been fed a story about how pro-lifers are nothing but religious fundies, misogynists, and generally narrow-minded fools, so they figure posing a challenging question such as "how much time should she do?" will really stump them. Problem is, pro-lifers see abortion as MURDER. So asking a pro-lifer that question is basically the same as asking a pro-choicer how much time a parent who kills their newborn baby should do.

Personally, if abortion were banned, I'd suggest the harshest penalties for the doctors performing them, not jail time for the women.

Abortion sucks, there's really no getting around that. And I think that's the thing that most pro-lifers don't "get"...I get the sense that a lot of the more vocal opponents of abortion think it's an easy choice that women make, or that pro-choicers actually LIKE abortions and hope for the number of abortions performed to increase. That's dumb. I'm pro-choice, but I'd rather see no abortions happening.
They absolutely understand, and to take that stance about pro-choice people is clueless in and of itself.

I'm pro-choice and anti-abortion. I think that we need to have it legal to give a safe option, because abortions will occur, legally or not. If it's legal, at least women are safe.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You still don't get it...
Don't get what, exactly?

Do you really think the loudest advocates on the pro-choice side of the debate really understand the thought process behind a pro-life stance? I'm not talking about the average person who is probably pro-choice (I don't have #'s handy but I'm quite certain pro-choice folks are a majority, at least in our country)...I'm talking about the activists on the front line...do you honestly think they get it, or even try to get it? I don't. Just like I don't think the hard-core pro-lifer that protests outside Planned Parenthood doesn't get the thought process behind a pro-choice stance...
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

They absolutely understand, and to take that stance about pro-choice people is clueless in and of itself.

I'm pro-choice and anti-abortion. I think that we need to have it legal to give a safe option, because abortions will occur, legally or not. If it's legal, at least women are safe.
So do I.

But don't you think both sides (not the individuals on each side, but the pro-choice & pro-life "movements" as a whole) tend to take a simplistic view of the opposite side? Hell, BVS just said I don't get it and we're both pro-choice. It's true that to take that stance about pro-choicers is dumb, but it's equally dumb to make the assumptions about pro-lifers that many on the other side make.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

I think in this country there's too many religious pro-lifers. The ones who are not actually have reasonable arguments. I just, again, think it's about the safe alternative, and I've never seen a good argument to counter that.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

nm
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I think in this country there's too many religious pro-lifers. The ones who are not actually have reasonable arguments. I just, again, think it's about the safe alternative, and I've never seen a good argument to counter that.
Exactly. That's why I'm pro-choice. I didn't used to be.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Problem is, pro-lifers see abortion as MURDER.
Well then WHY is it improper to ask them what the appropriate penalties should be? I really don't understand your point here. Our criminal justice system operates on the notion of penalties (be it in the name of deterrence, punishment, exemplary action, etc). If you feel something is murder and consequently it should be criminalized, then you better sit down and consider what the penalty will be. I mean, those amendments to the criminal codes will have to be made and it's absolutely relevant that we discuss them. I don't see why you think this is a "simplistic" pro-choice view - it is legal issue and a matter of policy which most certainly cannot be ignored.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:41 PM
gee whiz,
I posted a few pages back

pro-lifers will not suggest/admit serious punishment while they are just trying to move the ball down the field.

once the game is over
and they win
they will support laws for severe punishment and demand enforcement.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #102
The Male

Local Time: 12:41 PM
Quote:

I think that's the idea.

I'm much more conservative with my viewpoints on abortion. I'm totally against it.

That said, my personal viewpoints don't mean that legislation should be made of it. I'm pro-life and pro-choice, I guess.
For once, we definitely agree on this.

I am morally against abortion, but there's no way we need to go back to coat hangers. As long as there is demand for abortions, we might as well do it as safely as possible.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #103
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:41 PM
Quote:

Don't get what, exactly?

Do you really think the loudest advocates on the pro-choice side of the debate really understand the thought process behind a pro-life stance? I'm not talking about the average person who is probably pro-choice (I don't have #'s handy but I'm quite certain pro-choice folks are a majority, at least in our country)...I'm talking about the activists on the front line...do you honestly think they get it, or even try to get it? I don't. Just like I don't think the hard-core pro-lifer that protests outside Planned Parenthood doesn't get the thought process behind a pro-choice stance...
Well you first stated "proves that the pro-choice movement really hasn't the first clue to the thought process behind a pro-life stance." It doesn't prove anything. And yes I do believe that the majority of pro-choice believers understand the thought process. For you to completely dismiss that, and the way you approached this discussion made you sound like one of those folks that think pro choice people enjoy abortion in some way.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well you first stated "proves that the pro-choice movement really hasn't the first clue to the thought process behind a pro-life stance." It doesn't prove anything. And yes I do believe that the majority of pro-choice believers understand the thought process. For you to completely dismiss that, and the way you approached this discussion made you sound like one of those folks that think pro choice people enjoy abortion in some way.
Alright then I can understand your reaction then...no I don't, at all. That was basically my point, that there are people on either side who either really don't understand or deliberately misconstrue the opposite position. I think there's a big chunk of pro-lifers who really DO think that the pro-choice movement's goal is MORE abortions (see financeguy's post above about the decrease in numbers of women leaving Ireland to have abortions).

I have given this a bit more thought though, and I think it is kind of interesting that a lot of pro-lifers are pro-DP...so if you're truly asking them how much time she should do, shouldn't their answer be she should get the DP?

It's a hard issue to wrestle with. So many people see it as a black&white issue, and for me it's just so far from that. In my idealistic youth I was definitely pro-life; my position was always "prove to me it (the foetus) isn't alive and I'll accept abortion" but even then I wouldn't have penalized a women who had an abortion the same as a common murderer. While I was convinced the foetus was alive, I wasn't comfortable equating foetus & baby; there was definitely a difference there. Even as I got older and followed a path toward the (far) left I could never let go of my feelings about abortion being murder. I think living with poverty is what finally did it for me. I see kids living with things you can't imagine (well, unless you're poor anyway), women struggling to hold it together for their kids, and I resigned myself to the fact that maybe abortion is a "necessary evil". I'm curious actually to hear from anyone who's changed sides as I have, and how they go there...

I think, if you're pro-life, you have to ask yourself why would a woman WANT to have an abortion? I think that's another myth that the pro-life movement likes to hang on to, that women think nothing of aborting, that they do it on a whim, or out of convenience. But it's a hard choice. The women I know who've had abortions had varying degrees of difficulty living with that decision...but what choice did they have?

So I guess my problem is, we live in a society where women are in positions where they feel their BEST option is aborting their unborn child...I'd love to see the pro-life side try to make some progress with those issues. If you really want to prevent abortions, banning them isn't the answer; correcting the problems that make them necessary. Banning them just means more illegal black market procedures, more attempts at self-abortion (by coathangers or whatever), and more dead women & foetuses.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #105
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 07:41 AM

I agree totally. And i think this is the place where things go down wrong. Anti abortionists (i don't like the term pro life, its far too "saintly" for what it stands for) are all religious. I don't think i've ever met a person whos against abortion who is not religious. And thats the crux. There is no scientific evidence that its murder, or painful, or anything like that, there are rules and regulations like before 12 weeks and so on, and it seems that only the factr that RELIGION gets in the way of peoples beliefs that it all goes screwy.

We're not a religous country, we shouldn't let some "beliefs" and i hold those ideas VERY loosely change something they have nothing to do with