How much jail time for women who have abortions? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #76
War Child

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Thats a double edge sword I guess -- by having women dominate the dialog, I can see where it would absolve men of their responsibility even more. You did get my point, it is a woman's body and probably more importantly their minds and emotions -- the emotional swings, the "what to do" is probably tougher than the physical part; though when my wife was carrying our twins, it sure looked tough physically, and she went 37 weeks which is quite long for twins.

So, how do we get more men involved in the responsibility, more women involved in the dialog, and some kind of compromise in the US; even for just a little while, that does not have practical consequences of making it unfair to those without resources?

Probably won't happen for a long time; sadly.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #77
War Child

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Abortion in my country is always legal. Not too long ago, one of the capital city in my country just made a huge progress in this issue: school students could take their student card go to the state hospital and take abortion, free of charge.

I don't agree people comparing abortion to smoking or drug usage or slavery. They are completely different things.

Smoking and drug could cause addiction, no one would addict to abortion. Slaves are considered as property of their owner, but no one would consider the un-borned baby as property of the mother.

I don't know about your guys knowledge on abortion, but from the school education that I've taken, abortion always been described as "extremely harmful for female's health". Some women would probably never be able to have baby after the abortion. And the chance of having all kind of problems in her next pregnancy is also dramatically increased. So if the woman knews all of these, and still choose to do it, she must have a really good reason. All in all, it's her body, and it's her health. Went back to history, it just been too many women, chose to kill herself, rather than gave birth to the baby. And it's also not rare that the mother kill her child, even she could chose to give the baby away, only because she didn't want that baby come to this world.

It's all about choice.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:43 AM   #78
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by butter7
but no one would consider the un-borned baby as property of the mother.

Not true, many would see it as property of the government, up until it's born of course, then they don't care.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #79
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Not true, many would see it as property of the government, up until it's born of course, then they don't care.

To be honest, it's the first time that I heard of that. How come they could think of that??!! Unless...of course...

The governor himself has been "working" really really hard.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:10 AM   #80
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BWU2Buffs
Thats a double edge sword I guess -- by having women dominate the dialog, I can see where it would absolve men of their responsibility even more. You did get my point, it is a woman's body and probably more importantly their minds and emotions -- the emotional swings, the "what to do" is probably tougher than the physical part; though when my wife was carrying our twins, it sure looked tough physically, and she went 37 weeks which is quite long for twins.

So, how do we get more men involved in the responsibility, more women involved in the dialog, and some kind of compromise in the US; even for just a little while, that does not have practical consequences of making it unfair to those without resources?

Probably won't happen for a long time; sadly.
One of the guy I know from another U2 forum was contacting all his classmates, to gather some money, because one girl in his class was pregnant, and the father had gone to thin air after he heard the news.

It's not often, really. Since early-stage abortion is really cheap, only some pills and injection got involved, one night in hospital max, then you are free to go. Usually the guy would leave just enough money when he gone.

Aren't we just love their sense of humor?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #81
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

To be honest, it's the first time that I heard of that. How come they could think of that??!! Unless...of course...

Why are you so shocked? Why else would government want to legislate your body, but then ignore your healthcare and education after you are born?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #82
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

It's not often, really. Since early-stage abortion is really cheap, only some pills and injection got involved, one night in hospital max, then you are free to go. Usually the guy would leave just enough money when he gone.

Aren't we just love their sense of humor?
What are you talking about?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #83
War Child

Quote:

What are you talking about?
The truth. Ironically, of course.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #84
War Child

Quote:

Why are you so shocked? Why else would government want to legislate your body, but then ignore your healthcare and education after you are born?
the idea that abortion should be illegal is more shocking than this.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #85
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

the idea that abortion should be illegal is more shocking than this.
Well it's the irony of US conservatism.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #86
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:03 PM
I am sort of a non-religious pro-lifer. I do not agree with abortion, but not for religious reasons.

Then again, I don't want to abolish the right of women to have abortions, because I know doing so would cause women to resort to other, more dangerous means. And sometimes, you just don't know what is going on in another person's life.

It's like the saying "I don't agree with what you're saying, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it," I don't agree with abortion, but I believe it is a right that should be available for those that do. Does that make sense?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #87
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Sloane Peterson
I don't agree with abortion, but I believe it is a right that should be available for those that do. Does that make sense?
And this is probably the majority of pro choice people.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

The counter-argument for what you are saying is that people believe you are killing lives, and it shouldn't be a choice to kill a baby.

I think the key to what you are saying is that there has to be a safe option, because legal or not, it will exist. It's important to give safe means for it, which is why I think it exists today.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #89
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
The counter-argument for what you are saying is that people believe you are killing lives, and it shouldn't be a choice to kill a baby.

I think the key to what you are saying is that there has to be a safe option, because legal or not, it will exist. It's important to give safe means for it, which is why I think it exists today.
Exactly. Because I honestly don't believe in killing a baby, no matter if it hasn't formed into an independently living human being, BUT eliminating the right to abortion would only mean people going to shady places or going towards other means in order to abort their pregnancies.

Abortion has been happening for a LONG time, even when it was just about herbs and drinking certain mixtures to kill the child. So, moral or not, it happens, and it's much better to go to an actual clinic than to try a home-abortion that could injure oneself or deform the baby... or to try to find someone willing to perform the operation in a society where it would be a crime.

I guess for those that are like me, the answer would be not to get an abortion myself. I still hate the horror stories of abortion and I cringe to think of it, which is why I think there should be major initiatives for safe sex and steps to PREVENT the unwanted pregnancy in the first place, so abortion would not even become an issue.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:42 AM   #90
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Sloane Peterson

... steps to PREVENT the unwanted pregnancy in the first place, so abortion would not even become an issue.
This could come in the form of more thorough DNA testing to identify the father when paternity is in doubt.

Or perhaps more legal teeth into the laws that force the men / fathers of the unborn baby to take responsibility for that baby from conception through a college education.

In other words, if you want to do more to PREVENT unwanted pregnancy, ramp up the legal structures around fathers taht help cause unwanted pregnancy in the first place.

There are other means too; but men get off too easy on this issue in my opinion.