How many of you,.... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2003, 12:33 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:34 AM
this American does not wish harm onto any countries.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:34 AM
Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
. Considering the state she works in, this is a little disturbing. I would like to know how many percent of Americans, not to say American Senators, think so (umm, and the American Senator is an American too, isnīt he? I donīt quite get the difference).
1. Washington D.C isn't a state And things that are said in Washington by civilians are generally....umm...very....extreme. There aren't many moderates who choose to live in D.C simply because of its role. I think it's a little hard to explain without having the connotation from living here, so if you want me to clarify I will gladly do so.

Quote:
Thatīs really sad. It is shocking, though, that (- if a Senator said so, I donīt know that, I donīt speak Dutch -) is not immediately removed from his position.
Speaking your mind generally doesn't get you fired from your job, that's sort of the point of free speech. The only condition that he could be removed from office on is if his constituents heard about it and impeached him for non-representation of their values. But if we went around impeaching all our representatives who strayed from our wants - uhh..we wouldn't have too many left.

On another note, I, like Dreadsox, have been stewing about this thread for days. I've wondered how many non-Americans truly believe there is a large percentage of Americans who want to bomb Europe. I think what's most important to point out is that there is no overwhelming feeling in the United States that we want to bomb Europe. We won't. And one senator cannot start a bombing campaign, and I think he'd be hard pressed to find 2/3 of the rest of Congress to agree with him and convince the President. Our checks and balances ensure that things don't happen on a whim.

Now, to address how Rono posted the question. In English, the question "How many of you Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?" is extremely offensive. I think we've made that part clear. But conversing with DrTeeth, in Dutch, the question apparently is not nearly as offensive as we are perceiving it to be. What we Americans need to consider is that Rono being Dutch does not understand all the connotations that go along with the question he asked. There are cultural differences here, and while that only makes up for a portion of why the ideas presented in this thread are offensive, but it does make the way it was posted seem less severe.

Old 02-18-2003, 01:17 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:34 AM
Yes, but the point of being a Senator is to have a certain amount of diplomacy, too. Free speech is fine, but I doubt you would like a Senator who says "I think everyone should learn how to fly and crash into buildings in NY" - fine, I am for free speech, but would this person be appreciated in its position? There is a difference of a man in the street saying so, and a Senator, in my opinion.

I agree, DC is not a state. Sorry for this stupidity, I should know, Iīve been there.

I never heard of any American who wanted to bomb Europe nowadays though, thanks to God!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:26 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Senators are just citizens, which is something we tend to forget. The argument as to whether they should be held to higher standards is one that is constantly floating around. I think, of course, they should be held to higher standards simply because they are representin their constituents. But alas, not everyone agrees on that idea either.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:47 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Still not any other news agencies have picked this bit of trash up. Why are we talking about something that seems like it never happened? If this were to happen do we not expect CNN to be all over it? Come on...
Old 02-18-2003, 02:56 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

we're still talking about it because the alleged event represents something much bigger than it is.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:00 PM   #37
Refugee

ya thats what i thought...i just hope no one believes it.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:10 PM   #38
Kid A

this is ridiculous, no one seriosly wants to bomb Europe

and I guarantee that if a US Senator genuinely said this, the opposing political party would pounce on it and have him or her removed from office, especially since the balance of power in the Senate is so close
Old 02-18-2003, 03:15 PM   #39
Refugee

no doubt
Old 02-18-2003, 03:16 PM   #40
Purgatory

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
no doubt
is quite over-rated.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:31 PM   #41
Kid A

like you wouldnt tap it
Old 02-18-2003, 03:48 PM   #42
Purgatory

i dont find her attractive.

i mean, not compared to most people i see on tv anyway.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

1. Washington D.C isn't a state And things that are said in Washington by civilians are generally....umm...very....extreme. There aren't many moderates who choose to live in D.C simply because of its role. I think it's a little hard to explain without having the connotation from living here, so if you want me to clarify I will gladly do so.
It isn't people in DC who say that, it's our constituents. That said, there are stupid peope everywhere. I'm sure there are hundreds of Americans who want Europe to be attacked, but there are also hundreds of Europeans who were happy to see American attacked on September 11th. That doesn't mean that every European thinks that way. I think non-Americans are too quick to generalize all Americans based on idiotic statements made by a minority of Americans in the media.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:38 PM   #44
Refugee

again no one said anything. prove it.

no doubt,

after the superbowl i was at the bar with the old man and a few of the boys were talking about the game and out of nowhere, and i mean nowhere because my dad dont talk much, he says well wasnt that blonde thing the ugliest lookin c**t you ever seen...man did i laugh...but we all know we'd tap it just to say we did.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:57 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

fellas, let's attempt to keep this discussion away from tapping gwen. thanks.