How many of you,.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2003, 06:58 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
While I agree that Democrats are generally more tolerant, that should not be confused with being sympathetic, most politicians do not care about people, they are in the business of pandering to interest groups for money and votes. Democrats are just as deceptive and manipulative as Republicans; the two parties just go about their business differently.

Old 02-16-2003, 10:22 PM   #17
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I just want to know who allegedly said what to whom!
Ive been unable to find anything on it either, Dreadsox.

Guess we've been had by a good troll...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 02-16-2003, 10:24 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:27 PM
i concur with gabrielvox, and do want to add that the original question stated in the thread is rather offensive. i honestly doubt that there are many americans waking up every morning thinking "so, did europe get obliterated yet?". and to insinuate that there are more than just this ass of a senator is a little bit sensitive.

we need to remember that americans are really in a new realm of life right now. people my age have never seen an america with a bad economy, or lived in a country that was taking initiative on something and had its allies not agree with its actions. it's completely foreign to us, so sorry if i seem new to the concept.

a concept that i don't consider foreign is lying politicians. there are some extremely right politicians whose ideals fall in the same vein as a white make in the mid-nineteenth century. yes, it's archaic and wrong. but their p.r is gorgeous and since not many american voters look too closely at what their candidates actually believe in, people like strom thurmond get elected for 100 years straight. it's disappointing, i know, but it's what we've got right now.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:50 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly
i concur with gabrielvox, and do want to add that the original question stated in the thread is rather offensive. i honestly doubt that there are many americans waking up every morning thinking "so, did europe get obliterated yet?". and to insinuate that there are more than just this ass of a senator is a little bit sensitive.

we need to remember that americans are really in a new realm of life right now. people my age have never seen an america with a bad economy, or lived in a country that was taking initiative on something and had its allies not agree with its actions. it's completely foreign to us, so sorry if i seem new to the concept.

very well said shannon. and i agree completely. i can't imagine any american wishing a 9/11 scenario on anyone. true this senator is an asshole but that doesn't mean his sentiments are shared by the average american citizen.

we really need to watch the generalizations we throw around here in fym. besides being hurtful, they are often not based in any sort of reality.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:45 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:27 PM
I've heard the same thing from some Americans.

I should add, though, that that's not the sentiment of the majority of Americans.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:03 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox

Ive been unable to find anything on it either, Dreadsox.

Guess we've been had by a good troll...

Rono....where are you????

In the army we called them grenade throwers.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:57 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 12:27 PM
Ok really how much of any of this can we believe?

No one can even get the bleedin page!!!

Dont be makin judgements so hastily...
Old 02-18-2003, 03:13 AM   #23
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Rono is not a troll. Dreadsox, just curious, what do you mean by grenade thrower? I know what one is and the context it is referred to, just wondering if you mean Rono here or the as yet unknown Senator? This thread was started as a pure reaction to what was heard. Any one of us would be exactly the same if it was in relation to us. Nothing makes that right or wrong, and of course people will be offended to hear the question even asked. No one wishes anything bad to happen to Europe any more than they wish it on another country or region of the world. At least not in here anyways.
We also should consider not writing it off just yet, as the site IS in Dutch and unless Salome, popmartjian or Rono would care to interpret we have no idea what was said. I doubt there will be a quote anyway as it was said apparently off camera. Convenient indeed. Also the absence of this news in English speaking sources means little as well, as not everything will make it back to the English speaking world, or more specifically America. Or perhaps it is infact untrue and the source is wrong. But until someone can clarify, lets not be too hasty eh?
Old 02-18-2003, 09:03 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

This thread was started with the words:

"Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe ?"

I respectfully am responding 48 hours later with my true feelings about this thread. I waited with my original reaction, and out of respect stopped myself from overreacting. But now 48 hours later without any explination I am going to FREE MY MIND!

That question alone is inflammatory. It does not say. American Senator. It says AMERICANS. It is wrong, it is insulting, and I find it personally EXTREMELY offensive. But I stopped myself from saying that.

As I have always done, since coming to FYM, I tried to research it. I did web searches. I tried the link that was provided. NOTHING to show. I did not come out and say anything other than could someone help me find out who it was that said it.

Not because I doubted it! I wanted to know, because anyone who knows me, knows that when a Senator or Congressman says or does something in their representative roll, that is embarassing to me, or our country I am going to respond.

But back to the originall post. The last words posted by the original poster are:

"Nice going, maybe the CIA could help you out there."

Again, inflammatory and innapropriate. Start with the question and finish with the comment which implies that the CIA would be able to help with a terrorist attack on Europe. People keep saying they are tired of people calling other people anti-American. I have never called anyone anti-American or any such thing. But what do you call it, when someone implies through their comments that my country would do such a thing?

SO to clarify. yes, this is grenade throwing in my opinion.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:12 AM   #25
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:27 AM
I must apologise as my previous reply wasn't directed at you after the grenade throwing question. I should have started a new paragraph. Sorry that didn't come across Dreadsox, I feel like I got your back up unnessecarily as I wasn't questioning your position like it implied.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:27 PM
Dreadsox, meegannie just said sheīs heard the same thing from some Americans. Considering the state she works in, this is a little disturbing. I would like to know how many percent of Americans, not to say American Senators, think so (umm, and the American Senator is an American too, isnīt he? I donīt quite get the difference).

Thatīs really sad. It is shocking, though, that (- if a Senator said so, I donīt know that, I donīt speak Dutch -) is not immediately removed from his position.

Who was it, if there was any, now? And pls quote the media source, too. I would like to send a letter from a European to this Senator.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:38 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I must apologise as my previous reply wasn't directed at you after the grenade throwing question. I should have started a new paragraph. Sorry that didn't come across Dreadsox, I feel like I got your back up unnessecarily as I wasn't questioning your position like it implied.
Not a problem. I have been stewing about this thread for a few days. I REALLY want to know what senator said it. It does not help anything making comments like this.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:01 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
This thread was started with the words:

"Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe ?"

I respectfully am responding 48 hours later with my true feelings about this thread. I waited with my original reaction, and out of respect stopped myself from overreacting. But now 48 hours later without any explination I am going to FREE MY MIND!

That question alone is inflammatory. It does not say. American Senator. It says AMERICANS. It is wrong, it is insulting, and I find it personally EXTREMELY offensive. But I stopped myself from saying that.
In the subject header it says; "How many of you..."
The first sentence of the post; "Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?"
Put these two together and it says; "How many of you Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?

It was a question, not a statement. It even had a questionmark, which is usually a good indicator for a question. I don't see why anybody should get rilled up about this. However, the fact that this claim hasn't been backed up is another discussion:

I have taken a look at the website (I am Dutch btw, though not anti-american. Well, at least not all the time... <-- notice the smiley). Anyway, it doesn't say anything about this senator, but it is a very modest website so if they'd put something like that up, they could have taken it down already. I guess we'll never know.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:07 PM   #29
Purgatory

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
While I agree that Democrats are generally more tolerant, that should not be confused with being sympathetic, most politicians do not care about people, they are in the business of pandering to interest groups for money and votes. Democrats are just as deceptive and manipulative as Republicans; the two parties just go about their business differently.
ill agree with this, except i believe the republicans are just a bit more dirtier ON camera. meaning ofcourse, we are more likely to hear about the shit they cause as opposed to the democrats who i feel create their controversy away from the spotlight.

ofcourse this is all a general stereotype.

the very fact that anyone would want any terrorist attack on anyone proves they have issues.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:15 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

In the subject header it says; "How many of you..."
The first sentence of the post; "Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?"
Put these two together and it says; "How many of you Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?

It was a question, not a statement. It even had a questionmark, which is usually a good indicator for a question. I don't see why anybody should get rilled up about this. However, the fact that this claim hasn't been backed up is another discussion:

I have taken a look at the website (I am Dutch btw, though not anti-american. Well, at least not all the time... <-- notice the smiley). Anyway, it doesn't say anything about this senator, but it is a very modest website so if they'd put something like that up, they could have taken it down already. I guess we'll never know.
Thanks Dr. Teeth!

Somehow, the "How many of you" did not make it into my feeble brain.