How Low Can You GO - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:47 PM
How Low Can You GO

Well after the entire Clark County "write a pretentious smarmy and condacending letter to an ignorant American voter" project failed "The Guardian" is back on its feet and allowing its writers to go wild in the election season.
Quote:
On November 2, the entire civilised world will be praying, praying Bush loses. And Sod’s law dictates he’ll probably win, thereby disproving the existence of God once and for all. The world will endure four more years of idiocy, arrogance and unwarranted bloodshed, with no benevolent deity to watch over and save us. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr - where are you now that we need you?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/c...333748,00.html

Now can somebody please explain to me how this piece of excrement goes about saying things like that - this is a severe case of BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome).

Old 10-23-2004, 09:29 PM   #2
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:47 AM

Jokes about assassination are very uncool and uncalled for.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Plain dry English humor. What´s wrong with that? It´s the media. Just a pat on the back in compare to a certain American blondie named Coulter. The above quote here is just the last paragraph. Another quote:

"The internet's a-buzz with speculation that Bush has been wearing a wire, receiving help from some off-stage lackey. Screen grabs appearing to show a mysterious bulge in the centre of his back are being traded like Top Trumps. Prior to seeing the debate footage, I regarded this with healthy scepticism: the whole "wire" scandal was just wishful thinking on behalf of some amateur Michael Moores, I figured. And then I watched the footage.

Quite frankly, the man's either wired or mad. If it's the former, he should be flung out of office: tarred, feathered and kicked in the nuts. And if it's the latter, his behaviour goes beyond strange, and heads toward terrifying. He looks like he's listening to something we can't hear. He blinks, he mumbles, he lets a sentence trail off, starts a new one, then reverts back to whatever he was saying in the first place. Each time he recalls a statistic (either from memory or the voice in his head), he flashes us a dumb little smile, like a toddler proudly showing off its first bowel movement. Forgive me for employing the language of the playground, but the man's a tool.

So I sit there and I watch this and I start scratching my head, because I'm trying to work out why Bush is afforded any kind of credence or respect whatsoever in his native country. His performance is so transparently bizarre, so feeble and stumbling, it's a miracle he wasn't laughed off the stage."

I agree the last sentence of the article, quoted by A_Wanderer, is a little bit exaggerated. Anyway, in compare to right wing extremism, that´s a harmless joke.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:58 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 06:47 AM
This is just absolutely sick. Anyone who even attempts to justify this line of thinking should be counted similarly.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes because left wing nuts never assasinate politicians *cough: Pim Fortuyn*.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ah, I think nbcrusader would agree with me. It´s just a journalist trying to make a buck. It´s harmless, just joking around. Isn´t it?

Old 10-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Just like I don't find Coulter funny, I don't think remarks about wishing assassination on someone are remotely humorous.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #8
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Just like I don't find Coulter funny, I don't think remarks about wishing assassination on someone are remotely humorous.
i may not like bush, but i'd never wish him dead, much less wish him murdered.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:16 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hinckley didn´t succeed. Booth/ Lincoln case has happened to long ago to be taken serious, even the Engish wouldn´t think of Booth.

As to Oswald, whoever thinks this man has anything to do with Kennedy, has to answer questions like, why Ruby shot Oswald, the troubles with Humes etc. etc.

I also don´t think it´s very humourous so I tend to agree with Pax. But then nbcrusader would disagree with me! After all, its just journalism. Not that I´d really care.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:45 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't particularly care for the last sentence (in the quote A_Wanderer posted), but I agree with the rest. And I agree with hiphop, nbcrusader should find this humour right up his alley (right with the bombing of the NY Times building filled with reporters and editors).
Old 10-23-2004, 10:50 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

When I make a statement about wanting to see somebody blown to pile of ash I mean it, such as Arafat - I will be pleased when that terrorist bastard is dead. Or Rantisi and Yassin, they were great candidates for the treatment, same goes for Al Ghoul, Bin Laden, Zarqawi etc.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:25 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

That's sick. Jokes about assassinations are disgusting and totally uncalled for. I don't care for Bush, but I certainly hope he's safe.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:24 AM   #13
War Child

There's a reason people are shooting up Bush-Cheney headquarters around the country. Left-wing sensationalist over-emotional rhetoric having an effect on weak minds. The difference obviously between Coulter's humor and the Guardian's is the audience.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:27 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Geez, people have shot into Bush/Cheney headquarters? That's sick and totally uncivilized. I'm getting really intense, virulent e-mails, I can't believe some of the pure hate out there.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #15
War Child

Jokes about assassintation are sick.