How Likely Is A Terrorist Attack In The US This Weekend? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How Likely Do You Think It Is That There Will Be An Attack In The US This Weekend?
Very likely 0 0%
Somewhat likely 7 16.67%
Not likely at all 30 71.43%
No idea 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Quote:
ABCNEWS HOLDS TERROR WARNING VIDEO...

Gives Tape to FBI, CIA...

CIA says,

"Hey we don't want this back
you were supposed to run it.
Like the Itallians
did with that phoney yellow cake document."

Old 10-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Not likely.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Government officials in Washington confirmed that the CIA was analyzing the videotape. One official said it was not yet known whether the tape is authentic or a hoax.

i believe it is a hoax
Old 10-27-2004, 08:40 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Tape is probably BS, I mean Arab stations get this stuff first most of the time.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:40 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:16 PM
http://www.fbi.gov/terrorinfo/gadahn.htm

this man is an american, he is al qaeda, and he is most certainly not a hoax. wether or not he's the man in the video tape is yet unknown, but the fact that people will write off potential warnings as a political move not only pisses me off, but it scares the shit out of me.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #21
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
http://www.fbi.gov/terrorinfo/gadahn.htm

this man is an american, he is al qaeda, and he is most certainly not a hoax. wether or not he's the man in the video tape is yet unknown, but the fact that people will write off potential warnings as a political move not only pisses me off, but it scares the shit out of me.
This was in my local paper today...this guy is a former OC resident and his family still lives here

Quote:
FBI trying to ID militant speaker in video

Agents are investigating whether a former O.C. resident appears on tape threatening a 9/11-style terror attack.
By ALDRIN BROWN THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

FBI agents are trying to determine whether former Orange County resident Adam Yahiye Gadahn is an English-speaking Islamic militant who appears in a newly discovered videotape threatening a 9/11-style terror attack in the United States, his relatives confirmed Wednesday.

Federal terrorism investigators contacted parents of the 26-year-old Muslim convert Wednesday and asked for help in identifying a masked man who appears on the tape.

Gadahn’s parents and his aunt, Los Angeles Community College trustee Nancy Pearlman, planned to meet with FBI agents to review the tape, possibly as early as late Wednesday night.

"We’ve always tried to cooperate," said Pearlman, 56. "I don’t know how we can identify a masked voice. I haven’t heard his voice in six years."

Pearlman said relatives heard a minute-long excerpt of the tape over the phone as an ABC News reporter tried unsuccessfully to get the family to identify the speaker. Pearlman said she could not recall any of the words.

FBI officials could not be reached for comment.

In May, federal authorities said they were seeking Gadahn, linking him to al-Qaida and saying he may have knowledge of a planned attack.

One published scenario expected to have occurred last summer involved blowing up East Coast fuel facilities.

According to Newsweek, Gadahn was an associate of captured al-Qaida leader Kahalid Shaikh Mohammed, who felt the American’s perfect English and Caucasian appearance could be useful in executing terrorist attacks.

Gadahn grew up in Riverside County before moving to Santa Ana with his grandparents in 1995. During the next three years, he converted to Islam while attending the Islamic Center of Orange County in Garden Grove.

He was arrested in 1997 after he allegedly slapped the mosque’s leader, Haitham A. Bundakji.

Bundakji, 56, said Gadahn had drifted toward a segment of the congregation that held extremist views and disapproved of the Orange County center’s efforts to reach out to local Jews and Christians.

Bundakji learned of the new investigation when contacted by the Register on Wednesday. "I remember his voice," he said. "The FBI hasn’t contacted me, but if they do I will be more than happy to help."

Gadahn left Orange County in 1998 for Pakistan and Afghanistan, where he trained at an al-Qaida camp and was a translator, authorities said.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:16 PM
I think it's extraordinarily unlikely. I think in general the whole terrorism threat is way, way overblown.

Frankly, I'm more concerned that a Kerry win will result in another OKC type incident - not foreign terrorists, but domestic right-wing extremists. The right has spent way too much time cultivating an "evil Democrats are out to destroy us" mentality for those chickens not to come home to roost.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:04 PM   #23
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

Frankly, I'm more concerned that a Kerry win will result in another OKC type incident - not foreign terrorists, but domestic right-wing extremists. The right has spent way too much time cultivating an "evil Democrats are out to destroy us" mentality for those chickens not to come home to roost.
Mmmmmm, interesting point. I hadn't considered that.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
The right has spent way too much time cultivating an "evil Democrats are out to destroy us" mentality for those chickens not to come home to roost.
Have you been on left wing websites? Try a place like democratic underground where paranoia runs rampant, there is talk about assassination and revolution if there is a Bush win, and conspiracy theories about "evil rethugs" are given out with no tinfoil hats present. I love going on that site because I can't fathom people so far out there.

My point is that it isn't fair to say that just one side would do something like that, because both extremes are just as capable. Look into the ultra left organization ELF that is a known domestic terrorist organization....
Old 10-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #25
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

Mmmmmm, interesting point. I hadn't considered that.
I'd recommend reading David Neiwert's somewhat alarmist but genuinely alarming blog Orcinus.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:44 PM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Have you been on left wing websites? Try a place like democratic underground where paranoia runs rampant, there is talk about assassination and revolution if there is a Bush win, and conspiracy theories about "evil rethugs" are given out with no tinfoil hats present. I love going on that site because I can't fathom people so far out there.

My point is that it isn't fair to say that just one side would do something like that, because both extremes are just as capable. Look into the ultra left organization ELF that is a known domestic terrorist organization....
Certainly there is potential for violence at both extremes, and I don't pretend to claim otherwise. My point is that the right-wing in general and the GOP specifically has been cultivating an image of Dems as people who are actively working against the US, and that such a strategy will inevitably result in violence.

For one very recent example, look at this story about Tom DeLay, in which he directly (and falsely) accuses his opponent, Richard Morrison, of taking money from groups that sponsor people fighting our troops in Iraq. This is the House Majority leader, unambigously accusing his opponent of working with traitors to get elected!

No, it's just not the same on the left. You don't see Democrats accusing the media of working for the enemy because they're printing unfavorable stories. You don't see Democratic leaders saying that Republicans don't care about national security. You don't see Democrats running for office comparing their opponents to bin Laden or Saddam Hussein.

It's not the same.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:18 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The right has spent way too much time cultivating an "evil Democrats are out to destroy us" mentality for those chickens not to come home to roost.
This is laughable. If anything, the stereotype Democrat is the tax and spend liberal.

As for evil, I think the left has cornered the market in trying to stereotype the Republicans. A sampling of posts from this board alone will bear that out.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:30 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:16 PM
not likely
Old 10-28-2004, 08:11 PM   #29
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Not likely.
no, that was just the reporter asking him how many presidential terms he'll serve!