How good do you think you have to be to get into heaven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox said:

What is Murder then? I am asking only to clarify...it is just bad Karma?

Sort of. You accumulate more negative karma by murdering. It's a complicated explanation involving the assumption of the sanskaras of the murdered individual. It's after 11 PM right now, so a more detailed explanation may have to wait. Or, this may be as much as you want to know. That's fine, too. :)

PS, thanks for the votes of support from several of you.

I think I hear heads exploding.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
a step farther and acknowledge your brokenness and accept God's grace through Jesus.

This is going to sound very weird coming from me, but this is the part of Christianity I love and depend on. The complete dependence on the Lord; the absolute trust in, and acknowledgment of, His Love and Mercy.

Thanks LivLuv, that makes more sense. NBC has been helping me with this issue over in another thread and I THINK I have just about got it sussed.... maybe..... perhaps....

I do feel a bit like Bart Simpson "Miss, what if a mans leg is amputated, does his leg go to heaven too" etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, beli, don't worry about feeling stupid when it comes to asking questions in regards to religion. Religion is a very complex subject with so many varying ideas, so it's only natural that you'll have a lot of questions about various things. Asking questions is perfectly fine and expected-how else are you going to learn? :). Especially in the area of religion-man, I wish everybody'd be more willing to learn about what others believe. It'd certainly save this world a lot of trouble.

Also, martha, you're welcome-and I agree with nbcrusader, I would certainly hope you'd stick around in this discussion. As I stated really early on in this thread, I'm personally one to believe in the idea of reincarnation, but yet I'm still here discussing things in regards to heaven and hell with others-and yeah, keep going with your belief system, bring another concept to the table.

Angela

Re: I think I hear heads exploding.

martha said:

This is going to sound very weird coming from me, but this is the part of Christianity I love and depend on. The complete dependence on the Lord; the absolute trust in, and acknowledgment of, His Love and Mercy.

This is the best part too!

Martha...

What you said is what we all depend on. You said it beautifully.

Peace

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

Never have I heard these words taught nor uttered in ANY Catholic Church that I have attended.

That said......

During my 5 Years attending Eastern Nazarene College I was told NUMEROUS times that I and other Catholics on Campus were going to hell for many reasons.

Same here, sort of. I knew very well at one point a born-again Christian, whom practiced at a Baptist church. he told me that several people in my family would be going to hell since they were Catholic and not Christian. :huh: I guess HE could determine that the two were mutually exclusive according to these people. :rolleyes: :down: - nevermind being so presumptious as to make a determination like that.

He also told me this interesting joke that I really never got WHY he told me! It's remained with me ever since, even after we didn't communicate and I explored different ways/Churches to practice my faith.

"Someone goes to heaven and St. Peter takes him around for the tour. St. Peter shows him many rooms where people of all different denominations are celebrating.

"Here are the Catholics," St. Peter said. The man looked inside and saw ceremonies and food being eaten in celebration.

"The Jewish are in here," St. Peter said. The man looked inside and saw great festivities abounding.

"Protestants are partying in here," St. Peter said and the man observed the laughter and joy.

This went on for some time until St. Peter motioned to another door, quietly. "Shh... this is the born-again Christian room. Be sure to be quiet; they think they're the only ones here."

----
You can see why I didn't quite get why he'd tell me a joke like that.

This has been a VERY interesting thread; thanks to all for participating & keep it up. I've enjoyed reading it all.

Olive

paxetaurora said:
You will have to, because I just posted official Church documents that seem to repudiate it pretty well.

I'm not sure I would call that a repudiation. It has some very nice comments about other faiths, but really doesn't raise any other denomination or religion to the level of Catholicism.

Months ago, in a differernt thread, I posted material regarding the reconcilliation efforts between the Catholic Church and Lutherans. Despite producing a nice sounding document, when asked about the official stance of the Catholic Church, a leading Cardinal had something different to say:

From World Magazine, December 25, 1999:

And yet, only days after signing the document, the major Vatican negotiator, Cardinal Edward Cassidy, President of the Vatican?s Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, said that the accord ?helps us to put in a balance which does not place too much emphasis neither on the divine, neither on justification, nor the human but at the same time finds a way of bringing these together.?

Asked by a reporter whether there was anything in the official common statement contrary to the Council of Trent (The Roman Catholic Church?s 16th-century response to the Reformation), Cardinal Cassidy said, ?Absolutely not, otherwise how could we do it? We cannot do something contrary to an ecumenical council. There?s nothing there that the Council of Trent condemns.?

But Canon IX of the decrees of the Council of Trent says, ?If anyone says that the ungodly is justified by faith alone in such a way that he understands that nothing else is required which cooperates toward obtaining the grace of justification,? which is what traditional Lutherans say, ?let him be anathema.? And Canon XII says, with the Augsburg Confession in mind, ?If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else that trust in divine mercy, which remits sins for Christ?s sake, or that it is this trust alone by which we are justified, let hem be anathema.?

Back
Top Bottom