How to find out where you really stand politically

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterboo

Acrobat
Take the test at www.politicalcompass.org
It's very comprehensive, well thought-out and good fun. My readings were as follows, for anyone who's interested:

Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -6.67

The example graph:

axeswithnames.gif

My graph:

politicalgraph.jpg

I think it makes more sense this way than by putting down numbers.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Economic Left/Right: 2.00
Authoritarian/Libertarian: 1.44

That's 2 spaces right of center and about 1 1/2up toward Authoritarian.

Some of these questions I had no position on.

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.13
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -4.97

my dot is right in the middle of the lower left quadrant..cool..i'm almost in the same spot as Ghandi
smile.gif

Last updated: Sun 2 Sep 2001

This website copyright ? Pace News Limited 2001. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any medium without prior written permission strictly prohibited.

i thought that test was just plain bad. At least the religion test ahd good well thought out and clear questions this test had the some very stupid questions and had no "no desicsion" answer.

Bad bad bad test i had to close the window half way through because i thought i was going to fall asleep. No-offense to the person who posted this, only if your the creater of this test!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -7.38

I can't get the graph to show up but I'm standing one place left and two places below melon.

[This message has been edited by DrTeeth (edited 10-04-2001).]

This's mine...

Economic Left/Right: 0.38
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -4.87

I'm in the lower middle part of the chart...

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 10-04-2001).]

Economic Left/Right: -0.63
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -5.69

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Rono:
This sucks, i can not believe i am like Ghandi.

I don't know about you, but I don't find that to be an insult. Out of all the examples on example graph, who would you rather be? Joseph Stalin, who slaughtered millions of his own people; Adolf Hitler, who slaughtered millions of non-Germans, Margaret Thatcher; who destroyed the U.K.'s economy during her reign of terror; libertarian Milton Freedman, with his combination of right-wing economics and leftist social issues; or Mahatma Gandhi, the social activist / pacifist who delivered India to independence non-violently? I'm right around where Gandhi is apparently, and I'm quite happy to be there.

I don't think they would put Jesus on here, because it would inevitably anger people, because some people (me) saw him as a liberal (for the early 1st century A.D.), while others see him as conservative. Putting Jesus in there at all would offend tons of people, but I think he'd be around where Gandhi is as well. But that's my opinion...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
I don't think they would put Jesus on here, because it would inevitably anger people, because some people (me) saw him as a liberal (for the early 1st century A.D.), while others see him as conservative. Putting Jesus in there at all would offend tons of people
Melon
Melon, you make a good point. We all want to think that "Jesus would be on our side" when what we should do is focus on being on his side. While I do believe that the moral values I try to stick to are what tyeh Bible says Jesus desires, I don't think I or anyone else can pin him down politically. I think Jesus is outside of politics, somehow.

This sucks, i can not believe i am like Ghandi.

Economic left/right - 5.00
Atho./ Lib. - 4.67

There is even a Jesus here.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

No, it is not a insult. It is not what you say,but what you do. And let me tell you, am not like Ghandi.

I had a conversation whit a co-worker, he
is a budha man, and he told me that he did beat up his wife in his early years.
Anyone heart about this ?

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Authoritarian/Libertarian: 0.25

This put my dot exactly in the middle.

I agree with Bonoman though, the test has some pretty big holes in it. Then again, most of these types of tests do.

Originally posted by Rono:
I had a conversation whit a co-worker, he
is a budha man, and he told me that he did beat up his wife in his early years.
Anyone heart about this ?

First of all, if he's Buddhist, he may hate Gandhi, as he is, according to some Hindu sects, an avatar of Vishnu; essentially, a Hindu form of a "Messiah" if you will. The difference is that Hinduism has had nine avatars, with a tenth one supposed to usher in the end of the world.

But the Mahatma Gandhi of the early years is a remarked difference between the Gandhi of later years. In his earlier years, he was a worldly lawyer, who, during this period, made a famous remark about pro-violence. However, he had a "conversion" if you will, and became a non-violent aesthetic. You could call him a "born again Hindu" if you'd like, and this is the Gandhi that this test is talking about.

No offense, but I believe that you are looking into this way more deeply than this test envisioned. I mean, I doubt that the writers of this test even knew about the worldly lawyer Gandhi! Overall, I don't think you should be distressed over this. It's intended to be a high compliment!
smile.gif

Melon

------------------

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 10-05-2001).]

I'm four down and four left from the centre. It's probably a fairly accurate reflection of me, although I would have expected to have been a bit closer to the centre, but not much.

I?m also near Ghandi, although I?m not at all that nice and sympathetic as Ghandi was...

Economic Left/Right: -5.13
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -4.51

------------------
beLIEve

Back
Top Bottom