How does your religion stack up on the equality front?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
- Does your religion believe that all people are equal?
- Does your religion believe that everyone deserves the same rights and opportunities?
- Does your religion believe that we/you/its members should treat everyone as equals?
- Do you think that all people are treated equally by the principles in your faith? What are the exceptions to the rule?
- Is society using religion to justify reasons for not allowing an equal opportunity and rights environment?

Angela Harlem said:
Gee, I'm surprised.

:rolleyes:

Ha!

I was going to answer, but since I don't have a religion, it would be pretty pointless. :shrug:

HalfSteve!
How was your trip?

I can't remember what your view is btw :D
Like bvs, I think this is my fundamental gripe with most religions. I might need to go further than western to find one which I fit into. :hmm:

Um, okay... :|

Can we get this thread back on track, please? Ange had some good questions, but if we're not going to answer them, I'll have to close it.

Heh. I guess I'll be the first one to answer this question then.

Before I answer any of the questions, I guess I should state that I'm Roman Catholic.

- Does your religion believe that all people are equal? Yes. All people are born children of God. Well, I guess the prophesized Anti-Christ might not count, but that would be an exception.

- Does your religion believe that everyone deserves the same rights and opportunities? Yes. The only exception I can really think of here is the gay priests issue. I don't think this issue has come up in the Catholic Church yet (to my knowledge), but I know it's caused controversy in Protestant Churches. Personally, I don't think it would/should be a problem, because as long as the priest isn't having sex (which they shouldn't be anyway..) he isn't committing any sin. I don't see how even extremely conservative Catholics (or any Christians for that matter) could argue with that.

- Does your religion believe that we/you/its members should treat everyone as equals? Yes. Love your neighbor as yourself, etc.

- Do you think that all people are treated equally by the principles in your faith? What are the exceptions to the rule? Yes. Well, most of the time, anyway. Obviously, the whole 'gay' issue is a hot ticket right now. It's a tough topic to tackle, since one of the main reasons of marriage is to create offspring, which isn't possible with homosexuals. However, there ARE other reasons for marriage(for love and a sexual outlet, basically) which would be applicable to a homosexual union. And then there's the whole "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" issue which provides somewhat of a weak argument, in my opinion. And on top of these things, the Pope has made some strong comments about homosexuality which might come off as kind of prejudice. So, unfortunately, it appears that many in the Church may not quite think of/treat homosexuals as equals, though I would argue that the faith itself does say that we should treat them like everyone else (like I said in response to the last question, love your neighbor as yourself, etc.).

- Is society using religion to justify reasons for not allowing an equal opportunity and rights environment? In many cases, yes. Sometimes they're using it to make just cases, and sometimes they take it way out of context to suit their current wants. But, in short, yes.

Now, hopefully I won't be the only on-topic poster in this thread. :wink:

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
- Does your religion believe that everyone deserves the same rights and opportunities?
- Does your religion believe that we/you/its members should treat everyone as equals?
- Do you think that all people are treated equally by the principles in your faith? What are the exceptions to the rule?
- Is society using religion to justify reasons for not allowing an equal opportunity and rights environment?

I'm Christian Reformed (from a family of Dutch Protestant Reformed ppl) and a true Calvinist (in the sense that I follow John Calvin, not other people's interpretations of his writings) and...

Yes, everyone has access to God's Grace through Jesus Christ

Yes, since we all have the same access to God's Grace, we all deserve the same rights and opportunities

Yes, since we all have the same access to God's Grace and are created in God's image, we treat EVERYONE (not JUST members of a particular denomination) as equals.

Yes, in my experience with those who share my faith (my church and community) I've not experienced unequal treatment. I can think of certain times when people were perceived as being treated unequally because of cross-cultural communication issues, but these were accidental and sorted out.

Yes, and it's wrong to do and wrong b/c it just is wrong.

I'm non-denominational, I suppose it could be a rather loose term, but yes. All are equal, all people can have a relationship with God, which is the main principle of my faith.

http://www.hudsonchapel.org/

Everyone has a right to serve. I'm very proud to note that one of our pastors is a former Black Panther, but now a pastor, who changed his life through the faith I share.

Absolutely. According to Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan, we believe that we are responsible for helping to meet the spiritual and physical needs of individuals we encounter daily.

There are obviously some corruptions within every belief system, and it's generally not the message but the messengers. I do take Bono's line into account that sometimes the most judgemental people are religious people. I think they are also the most monitored people as well. A main principle of my faith is not to judge others and forgive others, but also believe that by their fruits you shall know them.

At times, yes. Sometimes it is justified, other times, it is not.

Back
Top Bottom