How does society go about fighting obesity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roll your eyes all you want, that's the way it is. It's insulting to think people are so lame they need multibillion dollar gov't programs to tell them something is bad for them when they know it anyway but can't stop or don't want to. Money and big gov't is not the answer.

U2Kitten said:
Roll your eyes all you want, that's the way it is. It's insulting to think people are so lame they need multibillion dollar gov't programs to tell them something is bad for them when they know it anyway but can't stop or don't want to. Money and big gov't is not the answer.

I roll my eyes because I and others give examples of how people aren't nearly as educated as you say, low cal menus aren't nearly as healthy as people think, and you have nothing to refute this with except repeating yourself over and over.

I said nothing about big government. But starting better programs in schools would help. Trust me our schools don't teach shit as of now.

nbcrusader said:
We've been educating people for decades about food content and good nutrition.

Yeah, as long as I can remember there were 'eat healthy' things in school and on little kid shows and commercials. Remember 'time for timer?' on Saturday mornings?

We are a sedentary society. We drive to place where we walked before. Kids don't play outside, the sit behind the computer.

But people don't always live somewhere they can walk. The suburbs have taken us further away from businesses, and many cities and counties have zoning laws that prohibit residential housing and businesses from being in the same location. For example, I live about 4 miles from the nearest businesses, and the road leading out to town has ditches on both sides for over a mile so you can't walk along the road unless you want to risk getting run over by speeding cars.

The other factor is consumption. We eat because it is time to eat, not because we are hungry. We eat until the pain in our stomach surpasses the pleasure in our mouth.

Another factor is all you can eat bars. You youngsters wouldn't believe it but these simply did not exist before the 80's. You got one helping. Drink refills, and Bladder Buster cups, are also inventions of the last 20 years. You used to not get much for your money so you didn't overeat. Now it's all too tempting to eat more because it's there and you can.

Excuses? Reasons.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I said nothing about big government. But starting better programs in schools would help. Trust me our schools don't teach shit as of now.

As a product of the public school system, a mother of 3 and a part time school volunteer in the cafeteria, I totally disagree.

melon said:
I'd say we're obese for a few reasons:

1) We're a large country with a good proportion of the nation unable to get anywhere, except via driving. I'd be curious to know urban obesity rates versus rural/suburban obesity rates.

My guess is that 30-60 minutes of walking/day doesn't really make up for 8-9 hours in a chair at the office.

speedracer said:

My guess is that 30-60 minutes of walking/day doesn't really make up for 8-9 hours in a chair at the office.

Actually it does. Do some research. Based on 45 minutes walking, you burn 225 calories a day (5 calories a minute). It takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a pound. It would take about 15 days of walking like that to burn one pound. That would make a difference of 24 pounds a year. Not astronomical, but it is something.

And this is exactly why education could work. People do NOT understand this stuff. Some of the responses here are proof.

bsp77 said:

Actually it does. Do some research. Based on 45 minutes walking, you burn 225 calories a day (5 calories a minute). It takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a pound. It would take about 15 days of walking like that to burn one pound. That would make a difference of 24 pounds a year. Not astronomical, but it is something.

Based on a 3000 calorie daily diet, a male aged 25-50 already burns 2 calories/minute just by existing.

Does walking burn 5 calories/minute in addition to that, or 5 calories/minute period? If the latter, then walking really only burns 3 calories/minute, or 14.4 lbs/year if you walk 45 minutes daily.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Based on a 3000 calorie daily diet, a male aged 25-50 already burns 2 calories/minute just by existing.

Does walking burn 5 calories/minute in addition to that, or 5 calories/minute period? If the latter, then walking really only burns 3 calories/minute, or 14.4 lbs/year if you walk 45 minutes daily.

That's a good question, I am not sure. Regardless, 14 pounds is still something. And, for example, if you add that to reducing intake of one soft drink a day (150 calories) and maybe cut down 200 calories of food somewhere else, you can really make a big difference.

Wasn't trying to come down on you, just pointing out that there is a lot that people could learn.

bsp77 said:

That's a good question, I am not sure. Regardless, 14 pounds is still something. And, for example, if you add that to reducing intake of one soft drink a day (150 calories) and maybe cut down 200 calories of food somewhere else, you can really make a big difference.

Wasn't trying to come down on you, just pointing out that there is a lot that people could learn.

I'm pretty sure that the calorie-burning stats that are quoted refer to absolute calories, not calories on top of what the body already burns.

For someone who's seriously overweight, I think the best solution by far is to start running seriously (swimming would work as well). You burn calories, and as your cardiovascular system develops you can run faster, thus burning more calories and getting in better shape, and so on. 'Cuz let's face it, dieting is no fun. (Not saying that you shouldn't watch what you put into your body, but you know what I mean.)

Last edited:
You guys could/should try education, but it never really worked here...for example. Back when I was at school (back in my day lol) schools only had healthy foods. Our drink machines only had mineral water, the canteen only had fruit and salad rolls etc. Sport was compulsory. We all had PE (Physical Education) at least once a week as a 'school subject' - which was nothing more than running around a gym circuit or other mundane activity, and Sport was another compulsory subject. 2 hours of that as well as PE per week. It's no secret that Australians love sport. Well, some of us anyway. But we're still a bunch of fatty boomsticks. We had Norm and his Life Be In It campaign. Excercise and healthy eating has never been unknown to Australians. All kids grow up playing some kind of sport. Even the fat kids. Education is important but it wont cure it. My whole country is proof. Unfortunately.

I say eat what you want....drink what you want........

tomorrow 4 feet of snow could fall on your head and you might never have tsted the wonder that is a supersized value meal.

Oh....and you can fight it with hot steamy sex.......works for me.

I think we should start fighting stress
it will probably reduce the obesity problem
+ it will make obesity a less life threatening issue

Flying FuManchu said:
Force people aged 18 years old, into the military for 2 years. Use the military to force people to get into shape and make it a habit to eat somewhat healthy and exercise. Military discipline may work wonders.
:scratch: :coocoo:

Back
Top Bottom