How do you defeat terrorism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
I'm not sure it's any more possible to stop terrorism than it is possible to stop crime. Might terrorism be defined, at least partially, as the worst of crimes, or the ultimate crime? If so, we're stuck with it as we are stuck with evil. Perhaps we're not necessarily stuck with Al Qaeda, but it seems to me we are stuck with terrorism per se. Damn. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

This is probably closer to the truth and victory is defined as how well we manage terrorism/crime.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

obviously john lennon has the ultimate solution... unfortunatly what he talked about in imagine will never happen.

Yeah, "Imagine" is only an ideal. It's not possible for it to be reality.

yourattentionpleaseii-x.gif

A heinous crime by Israel

Muslehuddin Ahmad

The assassination of Sk. Ahmed Yasin, the spiritual leader of Hamas, by Israel under the direct order of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was not only a heinous crime, but also a grave mistake on the part of Israel as this has inflamed the entire Palestinian and Arab community and in a way the entire Muslim world. The murder of 67- year old wheel chair bound crippled Hamas leader Yasin has been condemned by the Arabs and the world community except America, the protector of Israel. Hamas leaders said this killing has "opened the gates of Hell". It's all war, war and war chanted by Hamas members and other Palestinians. One gets baffled by the extreme stupidity of Sharon government that killing of the leader they will stop terrorism. Of course, it's not just stupidity murder is in Sharon's blood. It's again Sabra refugee camp where this assassination was carried out and later in a press interview Sharon thanked Israeli army for their heroic work. This reminds the world of the mass -murder Sharon ordered in Sabra and Shatilla during 80s. He is calling Arafat and others murderers; what is he?

This assassination may have let loose the hell and Israelis would now be in extreme danger. There is extreme anger everywhere in the Arab world. There will undoubtedly be more suicide bombings to avenge the death of Hamas leader Sk.Yasin. Already hundreds of Hamas members expressed their readiness to sacrifice their lives to take full revenge of this murder. Because of Sharon the Israelis will be the sufferers; now innocent Israelis would find themselves as targets. Sharon is the curse for the Israeli people.

Despite deep grief and anger in the Arab world and particularly in the Palestinian territories, Arafat has called for calm and asked both sides not to kill innocent civilians. According to him, the public on both sides have had enough sufferings; it's time to stop it. Unfortunately, Arafat appears to be the next in Sharon murder list. One would not be surprised if Sharon carries it out suddenly. Sharon knows there will be world condemnation if Arafat is killed but would this affect Sharon and his government? No, as long as Bush administration is there to support to him. Bush administration has already vetoed the UNSC resolution that could officially condemn Sk Yasin 's killing. In the UNSC there were 11 votes in favor, 3 (UK, Germany, and Romania) abstained and USA cast the negative vote. In other words, American Admin vetoed the resolution. This shows the amount of support USA gives to Israel even on Israel's extra-judicial killings. How could USA be the impartial party in the peace process?

As one could see, Sharon ordered this assassination to divert the attention of the Israeli public from the misdeeds he committed during his election by allegedly taking unlawful funds through his son. Sharon has been under police interrogation for the last couple of weeks. Polls show that his Political support has substantially gone down, Indeed, Israelis have unfortunately committed the political blunder by electing Sharon and his extreme rightist Likud party to power. And they have been paying the price for this for the last three years; they already buried hundreds of Israeli dead and as it seems more would come after this assassination. Sharon came to power with the promise to make Israel safe. Indeed, the Israelis are terribly unsafe today under Sharon as unfortunately the Americans are under President Bush.

Indeed, Sharon got undue support from President Bush. He already visited White House seven or eight times and going to have another shortly. Quartet's Road Map envisages Palestinian State by 2005. Bush Administration must understand that it is Sharon who opposed the Road Map and asked for over 22 amendments though Palestinians accepted it without any change. Surprisingly, Bush Administration never considered the idea of asking Arafat to visit the White House though President Clinton did it while in office. If President Clinton considered Arafat a terrorist he would have never invited him to the White House. Arafat's visit created a lot of good will for America and it was generally felt that if Clinton had a little more time in hand he could have succeeded in renegotiating the deal for some form of peace. But Bush Admin never tried this.

The worst part was that Bush Admin fell into the trap of Sharon a mass murderer- and went along with Sharon in considering Arafat a terrorist. This is the failure of the present American Administration which added to the tension that already existed in the area. Thereafter, the Iraq invasion made the situation still worse. America indeed lost its credibility to act as the impartial broker and hence the present volatile situation and consequent extreme terrorism -killings and counter killings. Unfortunately, from Israeli side this is state terrorism as the killings are done by the state machinery and under the orders of the head of the government but from Palestinian side this is done by the people under occupation, terrible oppression and deprivation.

The world must understand this difference before they declare some one as terrorist. If the Jewish state is not a terrorist state, then Palestinians are also not terrorists. If Bush Administration insists on declaring Hamas as a terrorist organization, then it should also accept that Israel is a terrorist state. That will bring real balance in the UNSC debates and consequent resolutions. The argument that Israel only retaliates to the suicide bombings is not correct. Indeed, the wrongs were committed first by Israel as it did not end the occupation despite scores of UN resolutions in favor of ending occupation

Even Hamas which is condemned for its suicide bombings, agreed to stop all suicide bombings if Israel agreed to withdraw its forces from occupied territories. Indeed, Sk Yasin openly said that Hamas would stop all bombings once Israeli forces are withdrawn to pre-1967 borders. Israel never agreed to this. So it's no use harping on the same jargon terrorism. The world must find out the real causes of terrorism that leads to deaths of innocent civilians and also the deaths of the suicide bombers themselves. Life is the most precious thing for any one. It's not a fun to sacrifice one's life. One does it under extreme situations. Nobody is going to condone suicide bombings and killings of innocent lives, but it's high time for the US and the international community to find out the causes, the truth behind such ruthless and devastating actions, and remove those. Terrorism can not be removed by military actions; this has to be done by removing the causes. That's the only way to move towards some form of peace.

Muslehuddin Ahmad is the former Secretary & Ambassador and presently the founder Vice Chancellor of Presidency University. He is also the former VC of North South University.

nbcrusader said:

Are you suggesting that only some of us are God's children?
perhaps it would be a healthy idea to just ask someone what exactly they mean instead of suggesting everything that it could mean

It really puzzles me how the one liberal democracy in the Middle East is constantly the only one charged with violating human rights. Ahmad, in other articles, never once cites Syria, Libya, or Egypt for the failure of the governments to provide human rights for their people. Also, it is naive to believe that the militant Palestinians only want the West Bank back. A thorough study of their literature will show that they believe the whole land of Israel belongs to them. The "occupation" does not just mean the Israeli presence in Gaza and the West Bank but also the presence of the Jews in the land of Israel. Also, the Israeli presence in the West Bank since 67 came about for one reason-survival. Israel fought three wars-1948, 1967, and 1973 for its survival. Did it initiate these attacks? No. Also, the assumption that since Clinton's invitation of Arafat meant that he was not a terrorist is laughable. Not only was he a terrorist but the head of the PLO. What are the goals of the PLO? The charter states it is the elimination of the Zionist presence in Palestine. To the PLO, Palestine does not just mean the West Bank and Gaza, but also the land of Israel. Also, take a look at the PLO badge or insignia- there is an outline of the whole land of Israel. Also, the charter states the the use of violence is the strategic goal and not merely a tactical one.

Perhaps asking a reaonable question is not allowed in here anymore.

:huh:

Funny how asking questions is now chastized in here.

nbcrusader said:

Are you suggesting that only some of us are God's children?

Absolutely not. All I was doing was pointing out that Soul Always opinion was just that: an opinion, not fact.

I don't think I actually have an opinion on this subject to articulate, lol.

New rule: If we really want to stop terrorism, we have to get Muslim men laid.

The connection between no sex and anger is real: It's why prizefighters stay celibate when they're in training, so that on fight night they're pissed off and ready to kill. It's why football players don't have sex after Wednesday. And, conversely, it's why Bill Clinton never started a war.

--Bill Maher on Real Time March 20, 2004

I'm surprised no one brought this quote up earlier :shifty:

Last edited:
Sell the American Dream to the world.

Tell them, they could achieve anything under a capitalist democracy.

But don't tell them that Zinn says: "One percent of the [American] nation owns a third of the wealth. The rest of the wealth is distribuated in such a way as to turn those in the 99 percent against one another: small property owners against the propertyless, black against white, native-born against foreign-born, intellectuals and professionals against the uneducated and unskilled."

Sell the American Dream to the world, and convert the world to acquire complacency most everyday people in America already relish.

If that doesn't work, brainwash religious fanatics with more infidel propaganda a la Clockwork Orange.

nbcrusader said:
Maybe it is why Muslim men are so willing to blow themselves up - the promise of 72 virgins every day....

The Muslim men are holding out for a farse. 1 woman who knows what she's doing is better than 72 virgins.

Salome said:
perhaps it would be a healthy idea to just ask someone what exactly they mean instead ....

Dreadsox said:
Perhaps asking a reaonable question is not allowed in here anymore.

:huh:

Funny how asking questions is now chastized in here.
pardon me

do not play with me
I may not be in FYM a lot, but I do know what goes on

The answers depend on how big a picture you want to take the question.

I mean "How do you defeat terrorism?" is a big question with many answers...

At it's most defined "How do you defeat Al Quada?"
Go a step further than that to "How do you defeat extremist Islamic terrorist groups?"

And you keep moving outwards and outwards right? From a very defined question (AQ), to the 'biggest picture' question where you are looking all over the world.

Think about the biggest picture. Forget Osama Bin Laden. Forget the Middle East. That area has already gone up in flames.

Think about something straight out of the Bush Doctrine: Pre-emptive strike. Now think about Africa, SE Asia, South America.
What are you going to do to stop it there? Why would it start there? What is similar between those areas and the Middle East?

Now you are close to the 'bigger picture' question, and defeating terrorism, in the Middle East and everywhere.

Last edited:
NB has such a reputation for playing games with people. I am not playing. I sincerely would like to know what was wrong with his question. From the post he responded to that was the question I had. If we are now going to be in trouble publicly for asking questions, I would like some type of post at the top of the forum, so that we can know what type of question we are allowed to ask without publicly being chastized.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
If we are now going to be in trouble publicly for asking questions,
I never said there should be no questions
and I'm not exactly sure how you managed to get that from my initial post

my point is that if you want to know what someone exactly meant than you just ask this

when - instead of just asking - you already add one possible answer (out of a dozen possibilities) it might seem to others that this would indeed be this persons opinion while this might be far from the truth
and all of this would have happened before the person who is supposed to answer the question is able to point out what exactly it is what he/she meant

if you can explain to me why this would lead to a healthier discussion than just asking for someone's opinion than I'll be interested in hearing so

preferably in a pm or email

Salome said:

if you can explain to me why this would lead to a healthier discussion than just asking for someone's opinion than I'll be interested in hearing so

Sorry, I can't PM.

NB's question seems fine to me, either way, the response would be the same: an explanation of what exactly was meant my the original comment.

I don't see what the big deal is.

I'm pretty sure that there will allways be some extremists who love to kill others and we can't stop them.
But i also think that we could decrease the number of Terrorists and sympathisants if we (America, Europe etc) live our dreams and treat the other countries the way we'd like to be treated.

It's easy for the terrorists who hate us to get more support in poor countries when they can show them the big difference of the way we talk and the way we do it ourself (It's not ok for others to show POWs on TV, but it's a completely other thing if we do it. It's not ok if 3rd world countries try to protect their key-economy with tariffs and subventions but it's ok that we and our friends do it...).

We should also remember that it's more easy to become radical and give away your life if you have no perspective for your future.

Klaus

Back
Top Bottom