How do we tell the difference between lies and the truth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
America was never meant to be a Christian Country ruled by Religious Authority it was based on fundamental principles of freedom and equality where the church is seperated from the state. Or basically what Melon Said.

Melon:

I must admit that I am very impressed with your level of research on this issue, and it has given me something to think about.

I know that this may sound somewhat illogical to an academic such as yourself, but one of the reasons I trust the Bible is that, despite humanity's bad record when it comes to religion, I believe that it would be quite easy for God to intercede to maintain the integrity of the Bible if he so desired.

I think you're quite right that if it was left up to us imperfect human beings alone, then I wouldn't trust the Bible farther than I could throw it. But if God has in fact had a hand in preserving its truthfulness, then I would still feel quite comfortable with it.

I too believe that it would be quite easy for God to intercede as well; but I believe that He hasn't exercised that right, for it would go against free will. I also don't believe that God has had a hand in preserving its truthfulness either; history has shown that there have been many revisions in the Bible even when it comes to different translation generations. The NIV is a perfect example of a Bible being translated to fit a certain agenda, and then tell everyone that it is "99.9% accurate." No, independent Bible scholars think it is probably the most biased of them all.

But, really, I don't need the Bible for faith, so the fact that it is as messed up as it is over the centuries and millennia doesn't bother me.

Melon

There is no difference between the lie and the truth. Do you notice how the word "lie" is in "believe"? Every form of the truth has a small lie inbetween it. I believe it is hard to tell when someone is lying especially when you're so good at it.

I do not believe lie detectors either as that responds to body reaction which someone who is good enough can munipulate.

melon said:
I believe that He hasn't exercised that right, for it would go against free will.
Wouldn't God be violating free will only if he prevented someone from trying to corrupt the Bible? Free will guarantees us the freedom to decide and to attempt action, but it does not guarantee that the result of our actions will match our intentions or that everything that we might choose to do is even possible.
isabelle_guns said:
Do you notice how the word "lie" is in "believe"?
I remember that from Zoo TV. ;)

Back
Top Bottom