How did Easter get the Bunny? Looking for answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I don't know much about it, and I don't know where to ask

BUt a question arose in a mysterious way, and I figured I would open it up to everyone somehow.

How did the Bunny get associated with Easter?

Is there a religious connection?
Is there some sort of folk lore or something?

I, and a few people I know are sort of in the dark.

thanks

i dont understand why bunnies and eggs came to be all tangled up with each other!

easter is actually a bunny holiday, and men put eggs into it after they adopted the whole thing. thats the scientific explanation.

dont tell me its not:eyebrow:

Actually, forget my last post...

Easter Traditions

http://www.easterbunnys.net/easterbunnyhistory.htm

Easter Bunny History

The Easter bunny has its origin in pre-Christian fertility lore. The Hare and the Rabbit were the most fertile animals known and they served as symbols of the new life during the Spring season.
The bunny as an Easter symbol seems to have it's origins in Germany, where it was first mentioned in German writings in the 1500s. The first edible Easter bunnies were made in Germany during the early 1800s. These were made of pastry and sugar.

The Easter bunny was introduced to American folklore by the German settlers who arrived in the Pennsylvania Dutch country during the 1700s. The arrival of the "Oschter Haws" was considered "childhood's greatest pleasure" next to a visit from Christ-Kindel on Christmas Eve. The children believed that if they were good the "Oschter Haws" would lay a nest of colored eggs.

The children would build their nest in a secluded place in the home, the barn or the garden. Boys would use their caps and girls their bonnets to make the nests . The use of elaborate Easter baskets would come later as the tradition of the Easter bunny spread through out the country.

There is also this theory....

http://wilstar.com/holidays/easter.htm

The Easter Bunny

The Easter Bunny is not a modern invention. The symbol originated with the pagan festival of Eastre. The goddess, Eastre, was worshipped by the Anglo-Saxons through her earthly symbol, the rabbit.

The Germans brought the symbol of the Easter rabbit to America. It was widely ignored by other Christians until shortly after the Civil War. In fact, Easter itself was not widely celebrated in America until after that time.

Do Miss America said:
Baby Santa was born in a manger, and a bunny rose from the tomb. And the miracle was that the bunny laid eggs. Everyone knows that.

Yeah, but did he see his shadow?

I saw two rabbits chasing each other int he woods behind my backyard this afternnon. There may be multitudes of little easter bunnies out there on Easter morning.

~U2Alabama

Last fall, I visited a farm that had a large "bunny village" set up--little houses, tunnels, etc., for them to play in. There were lots of baby bunnies.

But what was really funny is that the bunnies had a minature church, and two of them were mating right outside of it. It was nice to see that none of the babies were illigitimate. ;)

A little off topic but in Aus we have bilbies

bilbies_not_bunnies.jpg

Macfistowannabe said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't bunnies very sexually active?

Since my chinese zodiac is "THE RABBIT"
or hare (or cat in some cultures)

I will say yes to the above question.

:wink:

Easter was an old fertility festival. The Easter moon heralded the start of spring hence the baby chickens, eggs, bonking bunnies, and other assorted representations of fertility. The date of Easter moves each year as its aligned with the moon.

The word Easter is derived from the word eastrogen.

Last edited:
Speaking of spring........

I know you Cali people don't know what I'm talking about

But here in the Northeast, I got my first real glimpse of spring.... It was about 7 or 8 pm, and it was chilly, but I was outside and I saw the moon at a sort of low crescent, and it was great

The cool air came in, and it was pure springtime freshness. Amazing, really. It has an absolute distict smell, and especially so when the change of seasons is on it's way.

You wouldn;t even belive I was taking out the garbage when this all happened.....:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom