How can Republicans (or political conservatives) be U2 fans - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2001, 09:59 PM   #76
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Hah.. If for me to have this Proverbial 'COMPASSION' that apparently no republicans have, I have to give HUGE amounts of the salary I will make when I get out of Dental School to Welfare for a Black woman, with Seven children, each by a different father, so she Can Feed her family Filet Mignon and Roasted Red Spuds EVery night... because as she says "My Man Ain't wort Sh#t, He out wit dem hoes evry night".. or the Temptations 'papa was a rolling stone lyrics..., Then Fire your arrows at me because I regret that I could never be considered 'compassionate'.. But honestly, if all welfare was abolished.. No more babydaddy's running around cuz girls don't sleep around.. because they would'nt have any $ if they did , all the rednecks around me in the trailer parks go out and get a job, and the american society climbs up a notch And it is sad but true, that to truly be compassionate, one must be firm, and to the naked and nonintrospective eye.. Assholeish and uncompassionate.. Whatever happened to Tough Love...

Old 11-19-2001, 10:35 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
Hah.. If for me to have this Proverbial 'COMPASSION' that apparently no republicans have, I have to give HUGE amounts of the salary I will make when I get out of Dental School to Welfare for a Black woman, with Seven children, each by a different father, so she Can Feed her family Filet Mignon and Roasted Red Spuds EVery night... because as she says "My Man Ain't wort Sh#t, He out wit dem hoes evry night".. or the Temptations 'papa was a rolling stone lyrics..., Then Fire your arrows at me because I regret that I could never be considered 'compassionate'.. But honestly, if all welfare was abolished.. No more babydaddy's running around cuz girls don't sleep around.. because they would'nt have any $ if they did , all the rednecks around me in the trailer parks go out and get a job, and the american society climbs up a notch And it is sad but true, that to truly be compassionate, one must be firm, and to the naked and nonintrospective eye.. Assholeish and uncompassionate.. Whatever happened to Tough Love...
Could you perhaps be a bit more histrionic and stereotypical? To hell with "compassionate." Let's start with "realistic," which this statement totally lacks.

"Tough love"? Perhaps society should be a little bit more abusive...err..."tough loving" to you.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Old 11-19-2001, 11:51 PM   #78
Acrobat

How can I be a conservative and still listen to U2?

1. the music grabbed me first, my first musical remembrances are of U2, I had no idea of their politics, though even if I had I wouldnít have cared back in kindergarten.

2. I read, listen, watch a majority of things that disagree with me on every front. Because I Can enjoy them on an artistic level.

3. Most important in terms of my views, I Try to take everything in. I want to learn and understand all he arguments. In the end the arguments will either topple what I believe or, as is more often the case, I will grow stronger in my response to them. I don't understand how anyone can have an intelligent argument without listening to the other side.

What are my favorite albums?

1. Achtung Baby- I played this almost everyday for three years

2. Zooropa- The same, I feel really connected to a lot of the feelings on these two albums

3. Unforgettable Fire- creates feelings no other music has for me.

4th would be POP, and then the rest, what can I Say, I like the experimental stuff.

-------

Melon said
Quote:
The problems within the Republican Party, I think, lie in trying to unite social conservatism with political conservatism
I completely agree. Iíve watched this movement for a long while. It undermines the republican party to say we are for limits to the government and at the same time people try to use the government to push morals. The republican party is very diverse, but unfortunately it seems the moral legislators have some sort of majority at the moment. But I stay in the party, because itís the only way to change things. And letís not forget he Democrat party has itís fair share of moral legislators too.
In all honesty the only real division I See between the two parties is in economics, and I think thatís a scary thing. As a Christian and a human I Moral legislators scare the hell out of me.

-----------------
As a final note, there is a real important thing I Think we should all remember here, with the exception of a few politicians and the usual bloodsuckers, both Conservatives and Liberals want what is best for people.

All this hatred being slung back and forth is idiotic. People treat their politics like it's their religion. The people on both sides of this issue want what is best and you can't change their minds by resorting to hysterics.

And that is why most of all I Can listen to U2. When I disagree with their views or a song, which isn't very often, I know that they are doing what they think is best to help the world.

It's possible to respect opinions and still disagree with them.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy
Old 11-20-2001, 06:18 AM   #79
Refugee

Local Time: 10:09 PM
What a great reply, Hermes. Serious and eloquent without getting riled up. Kudos!
Old 11-20-2001, 09:33 AM   #80
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Ah melon, True.. my statements may be stereotypical at times, but honestly, how far is it from the truth... I mean, don't ask me.. Ask the creator of 'BABY BOY'.. That movie is a materialization of my statement.. And a slow and tougher.. let people work for themselves train of thought I guarantee will get people off their asses and working, it's not the lovey handout philosophy, but there are studies that give strong evidence in that regards.. but this is a u2 post, so i'll end with teh compassionate jargon, but if you knock me for saying a perhaps somewhat stereotypical statement though with a large amount of truth in it, then please hit up 'Like someone to blame' and knock him for his stereotypical statements calling conservatives 'monsters'.. for the only monsters i am aware of are Sully and Mike wazowski hiding in my closet...
Old 11-21-2001, 06:42 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:09 PM
It's so simple, they are too uncool to understand the real greatness of U2.

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:11 AM   #82
Babyface

Anyone can be a U2 Fan. I consider myself a liberal conservative, or a conservative liberal. I am a practicing Roman Catholic and proud of it. I am anti-abortion, anti-gun, anti-death penalty,support Jubilee 2000 and cancel the debt,support soup kitchens and homeless shelters, and , most importantly, I am PRO-HUMAN. We are all in this together guys, and we had better respect each other and ourselves. There is no way on earth that everyone is going to agree on everything. U2 is about not being "pigeon-holed" into a little compartment, with people saying "well, if you a Republican, you must be for the NRA", or "If you are for human rights you are a liberal". Part of the message behind U2 is the idea that we are supposed to think about various issues, think about where we stand on an issue, and then act on our convictions. Bono said in a Musician Magazine interview back in the mid 80's that U2 is not up on stage telling people what to think, they are just trying to get them to think and then act. Their message is that people matter, and that groups of people standing up for human rights can make a difference. I have met people from all over the political spectrum at various U2 shows, and we all got along because deep down, what mattered was how other people are treated. That is what a U2 fan is.

[This message has been edited by TwoHeartsSL (edited 11-21-2001).]
Old 11-22-2001, 12:42 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:09 PM
CELEBRATE DIVERSITY!!!!

Some of you who are so plagued by the thought of a consevative also being a U2 fan may wish to tune in to Fox News Channel tomorrow morning at 9 A.M. Eastern time. Bono will be interviewed by Republican former Congressman/Presidential hopeful John Kasich, who was one of the first political champions of the Drop the Debt Campaing in the U.S.

~U2Alabama
Old 11-28-2001, 11:44 PM   #84
War Child

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FReAk:
It's not a lame question to ask, it's one of the best questions asked on this forum EVER.
I've been trying to find out the same thing several times in other peoples threads but no one would care to answer...
IMO U2 is not just the melody, it's melody, lyrics and attitude. The whole thing. and if I were a conservative, I would find it impossible to listen to just the melody 'cause all the other things are so present. I would go nuts.
And about U2 being christians, well, you can say that my dilemma with U2 lies here. I'm not religous. but, I can stand the preeching in, let's say Gloria, 'cause religion has not half the importance of politics to me. This is not to say I don't find religion interesting, 'cause I do, I just don't find preaching and lyrics about how good God is interesting.. but it's something I can overlook.There are other very interesting pieces of writing.
See, now this statement baffles me. It seems contradictory that you seem to be saying a conservative/republican can't overlook the political tones in the lyrics, yet you can overlook the religious ones???

Please correct me if that is not what you meant but that's how I interpreted it. And in that case, it's rather a double-standard, wouldn't you say?
Old 11-29-2001, 06:49 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:09 PM
No, he was saying he can overlook the religious parts because religion isn't half as important to him as politics.

Assuming politics is important to conservatives, he wonders how they can overlook the obvious differences between U2's stances and theirs.