House OKs corporal punishment - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:28 AM
House OKs corporal punishment

House OKs corporal punishment

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3141204

Parents, guardians would be allowed to spank children as a punishment

By JEFFREY GILBERT
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau
RESOURCES

AUSTIN - After little debate, the House on Monday gave preliminary approval to a measure that gives parents the right to use reasonable corporal punishment to discipline a child.

Rep. Harold Dutton, D-Houston, said he filed the bill because there are a number of people in Texas who do not believe they have the right to spank or hit their children.

Dutton, a lawyer, heard about the problems from town hall meetings he attended. He also represented a Houston grandmother who was arrested for whipping her 14-year-old granddaughter.

"The grandma's question to the judge was, 'Should I have sent her to her room to timeout? Should I have taken away her video games? Or do I do something that's drastic enough to try to turn her life around?' " Dutton said.

An amendment was added to the bill that specifically gives parents, stepparents and guardians who have control of the child the right to use corporal punishment.

A few lawmakers raised questions over whether that list covered grandparents. Rep. Debbie Riddle, R-Houston, asked Dutton, "I didn't see grandparents on there, so I can't bust the bottom of my little grandson?"

Because of the confusion, Dutton will add grandparent to the list before it is heard for final passage.

While paddling is banned in Houston schools, Dutton said that under state law a parent can give a public or private school consent to use corporal punishment.

He said he had intended to file a bill that gave schools the option to give students "three pops" in lieu of a three-day suspension. He didn't file it because "it wasn't germane," he said.

A similar bill was passed by the House last legislative session but was left pending in a Senate committee.

Rep. Alma Allen, D-Houston, said she is opposed to spanking altogether and has filed a bill that would amend the education code and outlaw corporal punishment in schools. Some 28 other states already have a similar law.

Allen said the use of hitting demeans children and can lead to such things as lower test scores. She said children who are hit also tend to hit other children.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Let me get this straight, they made a law to make something that's been happening since the dawn of time legal?

If people want to spank then use that to discipline your child.

I don't agree with parents giving schools permission, they don't know how they'll hit.

I have nothing against spanking per se but this law is stupid.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I actually agree with you 100%. Spanking is the parents' responsibility, should they choose to use it responsibly.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 12:28 AM
100%? This may be a first for us Mac.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:57 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't recall suffering any psychological damage from my numerous spankings. Parents. Don't see any problem. Schools? No.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh. I thought they voted to allow spanking of members of Congress. Now THAT would be a law I would support!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:28 AM
indra, that is hilarious!!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:28 PM
hey

this is Texas

i'd think twice

don't they have "right to carry" gun laws

Old 04-26-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

So what? Off topic.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:50 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 06:28 AM
I personally support the right for schools to use corporal punishment as well. Its a system that has been much maligned, and its a system that has contributed to the deterioration of the school system in modern times, where a teacher is, essentially, impotent to discipline an unruly child in fear of a violent parent or a law suit. The situation is ridiculous.

No, corporal punishment isn't the be all and end all, nor should it be. A teacher's responsiblity, and indeed a parent's, should be to attempt and exhaust all other methods before having to resort to corporal punishment, and it should be proportionate. The unreasonable demonisation of teachers using corporal punishment has helped this irrational process where teachers are no longer respected, but are practically down-trodden by disrespectful parents and spoilt children who know that they can get away with anything because the threat of detention really isn't enough - nor is an expulsion, come to think of it. Anti-social children such as these usually don't care about their education in the slightest, and such threats are flacidly impotent.

I don't know, my father was slapped at school once when he didn't deserve it, and caned when he did, and he grew up to have more respect for authority than many of my contemporaries in British schools. I was brought up with respect for my parents as well as fear of the smack - though I was never touched. It sounds like a wretched thing to say, but fear can help young people in line. I spent three years in Catholic school in Spain. Actually, it was a convent school, and they did use the threat of force, and indeed sometimes did. That was one of the best schools I ever went to.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 04-27-2005, 03:14 AM   #11
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:28 PM
I don't agree with corporal punishment.
I do think a more suitable alternative would be a stint in the army reserves. If that doesn't give the little bastards any sense of respect, then they are most likely the kids who are heading to jail eventually anyway.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:06 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I don't agree with corporal punishment.
I do think a more suitable alternative would be a stint in the army reserves. If that doesn't give the little bastards any sense of respect, then they are most likely the kids who are heading to jail eventually anyway.
What other alternatives?
"No, Johnny! No!"?

I have nothing against it if the parents are doing it responsibly without assaulting their kids. It's none of the school's business, though. I wouldn't send my kid to the army reserves if I felt I could discipline the child myself.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:28 AM
"Allen said the use of hitting demeans children and can lead to such things as lower test scores. She said children who are hit also tend to hit other children."

100 percent true imho

My Mother was hit in the knuckles w/ a ruler by the nuns in ******** school, she's in her sixties and it still bothers her

Maybe these people should just call Supernanny, she seems to get kids in line-and w/ out hitting
Old 04-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
So what? Off topic.

thread title reads: "House OKs"

should read "Texas House"

Texas is one messed-up state.

not surprised by anything that comes out of Texas
Old 04-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
"Allen said the use of hitting demeans children and can lead to such things as lower test scores. She said children who are hit also tend to hit other children."

100 percent true imho

My Mother was hit in the knuckles w/ a ruler by the nuns in ******** school, she's in her sixties and it still bothers her

Maybe these people should just call Supernanny, she seems to get kids in line-and w/ out hitting
That type of scenerio sounds like assault to me, but I would think there is a fine line between that and a casual spanking that causes no bodily harm.