"Hotel Rwanda: A Lesson Yet to Be Learned"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Hi, all. My school does this annual lecture series called the January Series. They have one keynote speaker for each lecture and each January there's a wide variety of contemporary and controversial topics. The one of particular interest to me is Paul Rusesabagina, whose story is told in the movie Hotel Rwanda. I'm going to go see him speak for the lecture on Jan 18. Just thought I'd post our link because anyone interested can learn more about the lectures and even listen to streaming audio of the lectures:

http://www.calvin.edu/january/

Another "big name" speaker will be Eugene Peterson on Jan. 24.

I think a lot of people here would be particularly interested in Rusesabagina based on the many threads about Africa and Hotel Rwanda. Please listen in if you can!

I just watched "Ghosts of Rwanda" and it made me sad and found it very disturbing.

I was amazed by the inaction of the USA, the UN and the rest of the free world.

I was amazed my the saddest example of polictical correctness in the parsing of words refusing to call it a genocide.

Even tho Clinton was in office, I don't reall any Republicans insisting that we stop or intercede in the masacres and torturing of those poor people in that nation.

This is when it's really difficult to be an American.

dbs

Wow. What great speakers. I'd love to hear both of them talk. Peterson would be awesome.

"Hotel Rwanda" is one of those movies that shakes your core, isn't it? It haunted me for days.

coemgen said:
Wow. What great speakers. I'd love to hear both of them talk. Peterson would be awesome.

"Hotel Rwanda" is one of those movies that shakes your core, isn't it? It haunted me for days.

When I rented it, I cried for well over an hour after it ended and couldn't sleep that night. :sad:

I will be checking these links out when I get a chance.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

When I rented it, I cried for well over an hour after it ended and couldn't sleep that night. :sad:

I will be checking these links out when I get a chance.

That's how my wife was. She was serioulsy emotionally disturbed. She couldn't handle it. She doesn't even like me talking about it.

Crazy, huh? The important thing to remember is these people live with it.

Thanks, diamond. I'll check that out sometime.

Our local Middle School showed this movie with parents consent to 7th graders as an English lesson.:huh: I don't have a child in middle school yet but I was quite upset that the school allowed it. I think 12 year olds are way to young to view such violence. It leaves lasting impressions on adults could you imagine what it does to the children.

JCOSTER said:
Our local Middle School showed this movie with parents consent to 7th graders as an English lesson.:huh: I don't have a child in middle school yet but I was quite upset that the school allowed it. I think 12 year olds are way to young to view such violence. It leaves lasting impressions on adults could you imagine what it does to the children.

Hotel Rwanda or Ghosts of Rwanda?

Back
Top Bottom