Hot cross buns already! WTF!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WTF.

Not that I'm complaining, though. I looove hot cross buns. :drool:

Hmmm, well we might, though I've never laid eyes on one myself, so I think maybe they're not too big here? It's more that I didn't realize they had any association with Easter, so I was confused what crucifixion had to do with anything (guess the "cross" part should've tipped me off, huh?) and thought maybe there was some in-group joke I wasn't getting. :reject: Maybe it's just because I'm Jewish, but the only foods I associate with Easter are Peeps and chocolate eggs. For some reason I do recognize that "one a penny two a penny" thing at the end, though.

They do look tasty...

DaveC said:

Although I really only eat the frosting on the Hot Cross Buns...:hmm:

I've never had them with frosting..:hmm:

They are quite tasty Yolland, even if they are out prematurely :yes:

Easter Mince pies, wow, that Mr Kipling does know how to rake it in...I wouldn't mind some Easter themed French Fancies though :drool:

snowbunny00774 said:

I've never had them with frosting..:hmm:

They are quite tasty Yolland, even if they are out prematurely :yes:

Easter Mince pies, wow, that Mr Kipling does know how to rake it in...I wouldn't mind some Easter themed French Fancies though :drool:

Isn't the frosting the "cross" on the buns?

Forgive me, I'm non-practicing, which means I only know the Easter bunny and Peeps side of things. :reject:

It's usually just cut into the bun before baking or added on with another really thin pastry.

ETA: So I've thought more about this frosting thing, and the trend to add chocolate, and really for what I associate them with it seems a little decadent or sacriligious. I know it's not really as they are a secular thing but it's funny how little things/changes can irk you like that. I must be getting really old :no:

Last edited:
Totally forgot them.
Last year, when I was in Australia, they were complaining that it started in February with the Eastern thingies, this year it''s even in early January. :huh:

fly so high! said:
I mean for shitsake....the poor Boy was only born a few days ago and now they are crucifying Him already!:tsk:

Ha ha haaaaa! That gave me a good laugh.

So is the story behind candy canes true, or just an attempt to turn something secular into something sacred?

I'd never heard anyone mention it until the past few years, but if you turn a candy cane upside-down, it's a "J" for Jesus.

I'm not sure whether a :shrug: or :rolleyes: is more appropriate here.

:wink:

Candy cane to be a "J" for Jesus is as hilarious as all this 23 thingy about the Iluminati, where people come up with the craziest maths and play-with-figures' only to make it be a 23.

:shifty: Well, I feel a little better knowing I'm apparently not the only American who was in the dark about hot cross buns...I'm sort of getting the picture they're universal in the Commonwealth countries, but a more spottily observed tradition here. I just remembered one bakery type thing I do always see in the supermarkets here around Easter though, which is these Polish doughnuts called paczki. But my guess is those are probably limited to regions with lots of Polish-Americans. Oh, and also lamb-shaped cakes with coconut "wool" and jelly-bean eyes, which are cute in a cloying sort of way.

This kind of market-driven holiday "creep" seems to happen in a lot of countries though, for example we're at the point here now where Halloween effectively heralds the beginning of the Christmas season. And depressing new bastardizations of various holiday traditions keep getting dreamed up all the time, like for example we now have these "Santa countdown calendars" based on the idea of Advent calendars, only in this case the kiddies get a little "teaser" present for each of the 24 days before Christmas, as if all the crap they'll get at Christmas weren't enough already. :tsk: In general, Easter seems to have not been hypermarketized quite as badly as Christmas though.

My mom always made hot cross buns :drool: so good when they're actually hot out of the oven.

Never had the kind in supermarkets, at that point isn't it just like any other pastry?

yeah, i noticed the woman in front of me in the line at the checkout had them in her trolley! I couldn't believe it - especially as that supermarket hasn't even sold all of its discounted christmas food yet!:rolleyes:
I didn't realise that hot cross buns weren't a worldwide thing tho - i guess i just assumed they were a custom in all christian countries.:scratch:
I do LOVE hot cross buns - but i think I'll finish off the christmas cake and pudding that I've got in the cupboard first.
...Come to think of it - I think I've still got hot cross buns from LAST Easter in the freezer:huh:

Back
Top Bottom