Hot Coffee Too Hot? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2005, 07:09 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:05 PM
I think they're playing politics for the "morality" votes. Clinton has made other speeches to this effect, she's not shy about wanting those votes.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:11 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:05 PM
All this will serve to do is increase the price of the game on eBay.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:24 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:35 PM
What's it like living a Big Brother Orwellian society? You guys are freakin' me out every month with the crap that goes on down there.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:30 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:05 AM
It is an awesome game, and although you have the freedom to go around killing cops and hookers that is not the main plotlines and it is by no means neccessary. You can play the righteous criminal if you want too.

Plus driving in the backwoods towards San Fierro with Peter Fonda's hippie character in a van with a whole heap of dope in the back is just plain fun, James Woods plays Mike Toreno the CIA guy and his missions rock, some damn fine voice acting all the way through. People should play the games before getting all worried I mean since the 1970's there have been video games and now there is a big market for adult games.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 AM   #20
Babyface

Local Time: 11:05 AM
i saw how one of those grand theft auto games were played recently at a friend's house. i actually got sick to my stomach just watching it. disgusting. but hey, to each their own i guess.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

again ... why is sex worse than violence?

i'd much rather have sex than engage in violence. i'd rather a 15 year old be having sex than beating up cops with baseball bats.

sad that the HRC-bomb has to have her own "sister souljah" moment pandering to this fucked up, misplaced sense of outrage felt so strongly by some sectors of American society.

graphic, gratuitious violence in film (be it in Biblical Jerusalem, the beaches of Normandy, or the streets of Mogadishu) gets you an R rating.

but, a penis in a film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NC-17.

now, i wonder where this glorification of violence and suffering and shaming of the human body and sexuality comes from ...
Old 07-21-2005, 09:03 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Irvine, was the remark aabout gratuitous violence in Biblical Jerusalem referring to the movie The Passion? If so, that violence wasn't gratuitous; gratuitous, which menas "excessive or unwarranted, unnecessary, etc.". The violence was necessary to the story, and most experts agree that Christ was put through that much torture.

But your point is well taken. I deplore gratuitous violence in films, and I would definitely support a moratorium on those kinds of films. They seem to serve no useful purpose.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
What's it like living a Big Brother Orwellian society? You guys are freakin' me out every month with the crap that goes on down there.
What type of utopian life to you live "up there"
Old 07-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Irvine, was the remark aabout gratuitous violence in Biblical Jerusalem referring to the movie The Passion? If so, that violence wasn't gratuitous; gratuitous, which menas "excessive or unwarranted, unnecessary, etc.". The violence was necessary to the story, and most experts agree that Christ was put through that much torture.

But your point is well taken. I deplore gratuitous violence in films, and I would definitely support a moratorium on those kinds of films. They seem to serve no useful purpose.

regardless of your definition of gratuitious -- and i *really* don't want to get into another tired debate about the gratuity of The Passion, and if challenged, i'll merely post the brilliant Christopher Hitchens evisceration of the film and leave it at that -- i do think that The Passion, Saving Private Ryan, and Black Hawk Down should all have been rated NC-17 for violence.

i think that the last two, at least, are high quality films, especially Private Ryan. they are important films and the should be seen, but they should not by children.

i find the idea that severed arteries, prolongued torture scenes, and the churing of human beings into raw meat is far, far more unsettling than, say, a graphic sex scene or any and all parts of the human body.

again, sex is better than violence.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

you have to admit, though, to an outsider, many of our "cultural" debates look really silly considering so many of the issues that enrage Americans have been all but settled in most of the rest of the Western World.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:05 PM
Quote:

well it is far from utopian but we have a tendancy to not get caught up in this type of debate. as irvine alluded to, for an outsider, public discourse in the u.s. can appear horribly misguided. a point which may be true of many, if not all, cross cultural perspectives but i'd hazard a guess that it is especially valid when considering the u.s.

different strokes for different folks i suppose.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

well it is far from utopian but we have a tendancy to not get caught up in this type of debate. as irvine alluded to, for an outsider, public discourse in the u.s. can appear horribly misguided. a point which may be true of many, if not all, cross cultural perspectives but i'd hazard a guess that it is especially valid when considering the u.s.

different strokes for different folks i suppose.

yes, absolutely.

if we are to ascribe to the simple blue state vs red state mentality, it appears as if we are a red country in a blue (industrialized) world; however, the truth is that 50% of this country is painting how it is perceived in the world. i got so, so, so sick of having to answer to Europeans for people who i don't agree with, yet they are my countrymen, so i still felt it was incumbant upon me to explain where they were coming from.

from my perspective, i view it as simply a refusal of some in this country to culturally modernize.

it seems so silly to me, and makes us look not too terribly different (in ideology, though not in tactics) from the terrorists we're supposed to be fighting.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I think it would dangerous to equate "cultural modernization" with permissiveness.

To some, it may appear humorous (in a sad way) that some cultures do not raise these questions.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think it would dangerous to equate "cultural modernization" with permissiveness.

To some, it may appear humorous (in a sad way) that some cultures do not raise these questions.

or they leave "permissiveness" in the hands of citizens to make their own decisions in regards to how they choose to conduct their lives.

one thing i think the US does really well is that we allow people to become -- when it comes to careers -- what it is they want to be.

sad that we don't afford them the same rights to live their lives as they see fit.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
or they leave "permissiveness" in the hands of citizens to make their own decisions in regards to how they choose to conduct their lives.
This could also be used to describe anarchy.