Hostage Crisis in Moscow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
500 people are still being held hostage in a Moscow threatre. The hostage is more than 20 hours old. One hostage is confirmed to be killed by the rebels. One police officer has also been killed.

BBC reports that 200 people mainly women, children, foreigners and Muslims has been released.

I hope & pray that all the people held hostage safely come out of this.

AcrobatMan said:
500 people are still being held hostage in a Moscow threatre. The hostage is more than 20 hours old. One hostage is confirmed to be killed by the rebels. One police officer has also been killed.

BBC reports that 200 people mainly women, children, foreigners and Muslims has been released.

I hope & pray that all the people held hostage safely come out of this.

Heard about it some hours ago. Prayers to all the innocent involved.

Shit terrorism.

The latest from Moscow:

"Chechen gunmen holding hundreds of hostages in a Moscow theater fired grenades at two women who escaped from their captors on Thursday, wounding one of them, Itar-Tass news agency said. "

:censored: Chechens

Thank you guys.What's happening at the moment feels like a nightmare,and, being Russian, I'm touched to see there're people here in the U2 forum who care and pray.
There're still about 700 hostages inside the theatre,a lot of teenagers among them - Chechen gunmen won't release them as they don't see 13-16 years old as "chidren".
Though it's not really about them being Chechens.Terrorists don't
have a nationality no matter where they come from.
I know this may sound corny but I'm so sick of turning the TV on and hearing about all this terrorism and war and blood again and
again and again.
Will this ever stop?
Silly question,I know.

Thanks again for your concern.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Their lives are bigger than any big idea

this is so awful, i dont know what the latest is but lets just pray it is over peacefully.

more and more nations are being touched by large scale tragedy from the hands of terrorists. I hope Russia isnt one of them. Those people have done nothing more than go to the theatre...

They released 6 children I think, and 2 Russian adults, and nothing more. I don't really know but it doesn't look like hostage negotiations are going well. I can't imagine how those people are psychologically standing up in there. Apparently the whole place is wired, even some hostages have had explosives strapped to them. :sad:

They need our prayers.

It showed on TV a piece of footage of some hostages in a room, with a woman chechnyan terrorist (I tink this is correct) holding a device (strapped to her body was it?) and playfully fiddling with the activator wire..................in front of the handful of hostages.

my mum says :censored: :censored: :censored:

and shook her head................

the above may not be 100 per cent but close.....I just saw it fleetingly this mornin.

Last edited:
They are not rebels , they are terrorists , murderers , criminals .
Shit , people went to see a musical and got this .....

pinkfloyd said:
They are not rebels , they are terrorists , murderers , criminals .

Exactly. Put them into prison until the rats chew their asses. Just like all the other terrorists.

Really, if this is about extremist shit again, I start to have serious problems with avoiding to accuse the religion. Sure, they are all terrorists and can?t speak on behalf of "true muslim" or whatever, but destroying the statues of Buddha, creating 09/11 with all its consequences on all the world, planning terrorist attacks in Europe, blowing up Bali - which was a very beautiful place, I had the luck to visit 15 years ago - and now threatening people who wanted to visit a musical! All totally without style. I am disgusted by the responsible actors of those actions.

I start to ask myself if combined action from American and European intelligence and special antiterror groups would be useful at this point. I think maybe it would be more useful than large scale war. We have to wipe out terrorism! Not to concentrate on potential dangers of the future (even if I admit, after long discussions with STING2, we or UNO maybe must take care of that too) but on imminent danger!

While all of this talk talk talk goes on and on and on, countless people are in fear - - not that fear would be banned without terrorism - anyway, I?ll send another prayer... love to Aine...

ouizy said:
www.kavkaz.org

chechen web site - explains the whole thing.

very very scary.

I have a feeling it was either taken offline, or is being bombarded by users (probably the former.) It worked for me yesterday.

It was a Chechen based website that had direct communication with those inside. It was giving a timeline that was going on. Very scary stuff.

Yes, these people are terrorists, but they are also willing to die for something that I do not think the Russian government is willing to give them right now.

This whole thing is going to end in a very very ugly way.

Pray there are not going to be too many casualties as they have said they would start kiling hostages tomorrow at 6AM.

Aine said:

Though it's not really about them being Chechens.

I just wanted to reiterate that.

You can't blame "Chechens" for these acts, blame those holding them hostage. And it's also not fair to balme a religion for something, people get highly offended when ppl point out all the bloodshed and death and masacars done by Christians, because we all know, that's not a representation of all Christians....same with Muslims, they can't all be lumped into this big bad catagory.
This mass generalization of people has to stop if we are to ever accomplish any sort of peace in this world.

And those not familiar with the war in Chechnya, here's a lot of info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/europe/2000/chechnya/default.stm

My thoughts are with you Aine
:hug:

There were hearings of gun fight at 5 am (Moscow Time ) , also russian SWAT was moving around . At 6am it became quiet again .

" Terrorists also gave the answer to speech that gave Director of FSB ( like FBI in USA ) , Director of FSB said that if Terrorists will release all hostages , He guarantees thier lives .
The answer from terrorists was that even if their orders will be complete , they will not give up --- THEY CAME TO MOSCOW , TO DIE "

:| :| :|

No comment .

BBC: Russian special forces reported entering besieged Moscow theatre. More soon.

All we can do is pray it ends without bloodshed. :(

My thoughts are with you Aine as well and all Russians at this time.

Last edited:
It's all over , massive attack of russian troops on the building
The Guerilla boss and most part of terrorists were killed.

Sparkysgrrrl said:

You can't blame "Chechens" for these acts, blame those holding them hostage. And it's also not fair to balme a religion for something, people get highly offended when ppl point out all the bloodshed and death and masacars done by Christians, because we all know, that's not a representation of all Christians....same with Muslims, they can't all be lumped into this big bad catagory.
This mass generalization of people has to stop if we are to ever accomplish any sort of peace in this world.
And this is actually a very serious point cause this is one thing
each of us can do to change our world for the better:
to realize that first of all we are all PEOPLE and we have this one planet,one world to live in.You don't need to be a professional politician or high-visible celebrity to do this,you just have to think
it all over,and it will sure help.Don't we feel the same when we love,suffer or sympathise with someone,no matter if we are Russians,Asians,Americans,Chechens,Africans...Catholics,
Protestants,Orthodox,Jews,Muslims? Terracts in Omagh(Northern Ireland),New York, Bali,Moscow,the bombings of Yugoslavia and Chechnya,the crimes of the US sniper are all about the same:the tragedy of the ordinary people who just wanted to live their lives and be happy and had nothing to do with any "big ideas".Once you understood that you don't need to put any labels on people based on their nationality or religion or whatever.
I believe the diversity of religions and traditions makes our life richer and the world a brighter place but there's always this bunch of individuals who'd use it to separate people for their own specific aims.
Speaking of which,it sounds strange to me when BBC keeps on
calling those gunmen from Chechnya "rebels".Sorry,you can't call
anyone who comes to "fight" against innocent people a "rebel",be
it members of Al-Qaeda,or ETA,or IRA.It's just wrong.It sounds a bit like a double standard and can really cause a mistrust.They're
terrorists who'll be condemned by their own people in the end -and honestly I don't think they have any Muslim or Christian or any other God in them anymore.
Back to "Muslim" problem:I know a 16-year-old guy who's a Muslim who said yesterday,"If I had been taken as a hostage in
that theatre I wouldn't have left (the gunmen offered to release
all the Muslims)anyway cause I love my frined Ivan and would have stayed beside him" (Ivan is his schoolfriend and is as Russian as it gets).
That is I think the best answer to the Bin Ladens of this world.

Once more: thanks for all your kind words.God bless you all.
Peace.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And love...is all that you can't leave behind

Last edited:
Hello,

Sadly, it appears that at least 140 people died in the theatre, 90 hostages and 50 (of a total of 54) terrorists. The hostage situation is over, but the price was high. I hope the dead did not suffer too much and died in (relative) peace. 140 Dead is quite a lot. :(

Marty

Aine said:

And this is actually a very serious point cause this is one thing
each of us can do to change our world for the better:
to realize that first of all we are all PEOPLE and we have this one planet,one world to live in.You don't need to be a professional politician or high-visible celebrity to do this,you just have to think
it all over,and it will sure help.Don't we feel the same when we love,suffer or sympathise with someone,no matter if we are Russians,Asians,Americans,Chechens,Africans...Catholics,
Protestants,Orthodox,Jews,Muslims? Terracts in Omagh(Northern Ireland),New York, Bali,Moscow,the bombings of Yugoslavia and Chechnya,the crimes of the US sniper are all about the same:the tragedy of the ordinary people who just wanted to live their lives and be happy and had nothing to do with any "big ideas".Once you understood that you don't need to put any labels on people based on their nationality or religion or whatever.
I believe the diversity of religions and traditions makes our life richer and the world a brighter place but there's always this bunch of individuals who'd use it to separate people for their own specific aims.
Speaking of which,it sounds strange to me when BBC keeps on
calling those gunmen from Chechnya "rebels".Sorry,you can't call
anyone who comes to "fight" against innocent people a "rebel",be
it members of Al-Qaeda,or ETA,or IRA.It's just wrong.It sounds a bit like a double standard and can really cause a mistrust.They're
terrorists who'll be condemned by their own people in the end -and honestly I don't think they have any Muslim or Christian or any other God in them anymore.
Back to "Muslim" problem:I know a 16-year-old guy who's a Muslim who said yesterday,"If I had been taken as a hostage in
that theatre I wouldn't have left (the gunmen offered to release
all the Muslims)anyway cause I love my frined Ivan and would have stayed beside him" (Ivan is his schoolfriend and is as Russian as it gets).
That is I think the best answer to the Bin Ladens of this world.

Once more: thanks for all your kind words.God bless you all.
Peace.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And love...is all that you can't leave behind

Good post :up:

Holy John said:
I don't mean to defend the chechen commando, but what the russian military is doing in Chechenia is also terrorism in my opinion.

Reasons :
1) Oil
2) Problem of Eternity
3) Some Serious Crime Zone down there , if Russia will leave , a new Afganistan or Iraq will appears , they do business by stealing and killing people , NO FUCKING WAY to let Chechnya be a sovereign country .

Back
Top Bottom