"Honor Killings" On The Rise In Europe - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 AM
"Honor Killings" On The Rise In Europe

http://www.boston.com/news/world/eur...fiance?mode=PF

As Europe's Muslims become increasingly conservative, growing numbers of women are being killed or mutilated in the name of ''family honor," according to law enforcement agencies, women's activist groups, and moderate Islamic organizations. These cases usually involve an attack on a Muslim woman by a close relative -- typically a brother or father -- angered by her refusal to accept a forced marriage or her insistence on leading a Western-style life.

There were at least eight such slayings in Berlin alone in 2005, and 47 honor killings of Muslim women across Germany in the past six years, according to police, media reports, and activist groups. Not coincidentally, activists say, tens of thousands of European-born Muslim women are annually forced into unwanted marriages, often to much older men, in their family's home countries. Refusal to submit to such marriages can bring a death sentence.

The violent trend, say authorities, reflects the strengthening grip of religious fundamentalism among the continent's 16 million Muslims, many of whom suffer from rising unemployment, inadequate education, and -- perhaps above all -- the sense of being unwelcome outsiders in their adopted homes. As Muslim men embrace radical Islam and return to age-old customs, women are paying a cruel price

''There is a lost generation of Muslims in Europe," said Eren Uensal, spokeswoman for the Turkish Federation of Berlin. ''Ten years ago, Muslims here were more modern, more secular than those 'back home.' Now the situation has reversed. The younger men feel there is no place for them in Europe, but they also feel there is no place else for them."

Islamic radical groups are filling the vacuum. ''The most alarming thing they teach is that violence is an acceptable way to enforce religious views or social customs," Uensal said. ''Much of that violence is against women."

Britain opened a review of the suspicious cases after a Kurdish immigrant from Iraq, Abdullah Yones, held his 16-year-old daughter over a bathtub and slashed her throat in 2004 after discovering that she was trading love letters with a boy in her high school class in London. In court last year, Yones insisted that his daughter brought her fate on herself. On the day he was sentenced to life imprisonment, dozens of approving Kurdish men came to court to show solidarity with Yones, according to media accounts.

A mourner laid flowers at the spot in Berlin where 23-year-old Hatun Surucu, a single mother, was gunned down by her brother.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Similar thing happened in Oxford last year but the victim was a male:

"A father who ordered his two sons to carry out the "honour killing" of his daughter's boyfriend after she became pregnant has been jailed for life. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/4520682.stm

Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

no surprises here

Old 01-16-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Sorry if this may sound harsh, but when will the muslim religon start changing? Same goes for the Christian religon. Honor Killings will only make your religon look worse off.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Ooh, this is bad news. It's not the "Islamic religion", Justin. It's a particularly conservative approach to the Islamic religion. Plenty of Muslims have managed to find a synthesis between their traditions and more Western-style notions of freedom. These are people who haven't been able to do this.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Oh I know, but its a group of individuals who make the religon bad. I am wondering in the Quran does it allow Honor Killings? One Janitor I worked with who is a Sunni Muslim said if he found out his daughter was dating someone he would kill her.
It's the same with the Catholic Religon, Priests who molest children is just as bad. The church should reform and allow priests to marry.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I'm Catholic, and I think celibacy should be optional. We haven't always had a celibate clergy. The idea was first adopted by a council in the fourth century, but didn't become a rule until the twelfth century. Then things were getting messy because of heredity issues. The children of bishops were getting bishoprics. Another issue was the claim that a priest shouldn't have his attention divided between his work and his family. Protestant ministers, rabbis and other married clergy seem to do just fine. Why can't ours?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 PM
They should do things our way or be expelled.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I'm not implying that they should do things "our way". I'm talking about things that cause much suffering, like honor killings and forced marriages. I read about an American Muslim woman who wears a headscarf, but also has a master's degree in chemical engineering, works, and chose her husband. She faces Mecca five times a day for prayer, follows the Muslim dietary rules, etc, etc. Anyone and everyone should stop doing things that cause suffering, if it can be stopped. I think honor killings and forced marriages can be and should be stopped.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but to some extent, yes. If people commit "honor killings" they shouldn't be expelled but they should be jailed for premeditated murder. And forcing women into marriages isn't a legitimate form of cultural diversity or something in most Western countries...a certain amount of assimilation has to be expected when you come to another country. That's not to say they can't pray 5 times a day, wear headscarves, etc.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I'm not implying that they should do things "our way"
No, but I am. You thought I was being sarcastic? I wasn't. If they want to live in the West they should live by our rules.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

that kind of answers my question then.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

If they want to live in the West they should live by our rules.
I agree. If we go and visit their countries, were expected to live by there rules. So should they in some sense.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Sorry if this may sound harsh, but when will the muslim religon start changing? Same goes for the Christian religon. Honor Killings will only make your religon look worse off.
What does the Christian religion have to do with "honor killings"?

Back OT, I have a question for someone who's read the Koran: are "honor killings" officially sanctioned in the Koran, or not?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I ment that if they have honor killings which make the muslim religon look bad, then the christians have corrpution, which make them look bad.