Honesty or Humility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
In the recent "Know thy fellow FYMers" thread, I found it interesting that a number of people said "arrogance" (or similar term) as the characteristic that they despised. A few mentioned "dishonesty". I was curious why "arrogance" ranked so high.

If placed side by side, which is worse:

A person humbly telling you a lie?

A person pompously telling you the truth?

nbcrusader said:
In the recent "Know thy fellow FYMers" thread, I found it interesting that a number of people said "arrogance" (or similar term) as the characteristic that they despised. A few mentioned "dishonesty". I was curious why "arrogance" ranked so high.

If placed side by side, which is worse:

I'm not sure if you can humbly tell a lie. Telling a lie entails the fact that you think they'll buy it, which is arrogant in itself. Most lies are told to protect yourself, I see no humility in that.

Are they pompously telling you THE truth or their truth? That's what makes the difference for me.

Someone who believes in ‘absolute truth” would not care how arrogant the truth teller was
if it was indeed an absolute truth that was proferred.

Many humble people lie about themselves because they are embarrassed about aspects of themselves or insecure

Many arrogant people lie because they think they can always get away with it, and they think the truth according to them is the truth

I am a big fan of humility and honesty, and I think some lies are worse than others. Some lies are more understandable.

nbcrusader said:
This would make me lose my trust in that person, no doubt.

nbcrusader said:
This would strike a nerve with me, probably even more than the dishonest person. It has been said that "nobody likes a smartass." I find it rather true, there's a way to be honest without being a jerk about it.

Obviously both are undesirable characteristics to deal with. I think a liar is a trader, but everybody lies at some point. If a girl asks you if she looks fat, you're probably going to lie. Of course, the most hated types are those who would say "Yeah, you're a complete fatty! Quit eating those hamburgers and do something about it!"

Do Miss America said:

Is there really such thing?

Dishonest humility? Hell, yes. To be irreverent, I think Bono practices it a little. I like his arrogance better.

PS Arrogant doesn't necessarily mean nasty. A certain kind of arrogance is attractive.

Hi!

To me arrogance is flaunting what one knows or deems to know. Hey if people what to show off......well let them. Some people like the limelight.

I choose the humble way and keep a low profile. I much prefer the shadow.

But whatever turns you on.......neither is right or wrong.

carol
wizard2c
:eyebrow:

I don't see how you can lie and be truly humble at the same time. Putting on an air of humility while telling a lie isn't true humility - just the pretense of it.

Bono's shades said:
I don't see how you can lie and be truly humble at the same time. Putting on an air of humility while telling a lie isn't true humility - just the pretense of it.

My point in calling it dishonest humility.

Back
Top Bottom