Homosexualty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, but that made me laugh. :D

Please, no one here is against you, no one is disliking you, no one is offending you.

There was a useful tip to just read a few threads over to get to know the people here a bit better.
Then you will probably understand the reactions of the people in this thread a bit better.

LJT said:
I am highly confused by this thread:huh:

Sometimes a quick look at someone's profile (their birthdate in particular) helps explain a lot. Not that there haven't been some very wise posters of very young age, but still. . .

Bonotheisist said:
what's so confusing? it's not hard @ all :madspit:

what's confusing is that you started a thread asking for people's opinions on homosxuality -- we can debate the validity of having an opinion on an involuntary, unchosen characteristic later -- and people gave them to you, many employing humor, as i as a gay man did, because the soliciting of an opinion on homosexuality seems a little strange to people who know and love gay people. i don't think a single person in this thread has expressed anything negative towards you or towards any gay people -- though if you dig through the archives, you'll find that homophobia does indeed lurk in FYM -- which is why i find your anger and angry emoticons puzzling.

Got Philk? said:
I know a guy who is very against homosexuality. He actually snuck on to his housemates computer looking for evidence that he was gay.

Sure enough, he found something and this asshole guy actually kicked the kid out of the house b/c of what he found. So yah, I guess you could say some people are against it.

I've grown in up in many different Christian communities, being that my father was a pastor. I've seen lots of different views on homosexuality. Unfortunatly most have been negative most of my life. For that, I apologize. I am a Christian. But I will not judge you any different than any other person I meet in my lifetime.

So I can't answer your question with a yes or a no. But I will say that I accept you as you are.

All Christian faiths, even if they feel homosexuality is "against God" or "against the Bible" do feel that everyone should be loved and accepted. They will try to "guide" the homosexual person to the ways of God and help them become heterosexual (as if homosexuality is a choice and the person is purposely trying to eliminate God from his/her world). While their intentions are misguided, at least the religion still preaches acceptance and love.

Sadly, some people who practice these faiths often don't follow what is preached. They will do things like kick out roommates on some weak suspicions that one may be gay.

The irony is that those who are most homophobic are actually homosexual. They have so repressed this side of their personality that they feel anything remotely gay must be abolished. If I knew someone who kicked out his roommate for finding something on his roommate's computer, I would (a) be pissed at that person for such an egregious violoation of privacy; (b) think that this person was gay - for why else would he "fear" gay people so much?

On a recent episode of "American Dad" (a cartoon made by the creator of "Family Guy"), the lead figure (the "dad") wanted to be gay as this would give him a chance to give a speech at the gay Republican party meeting. His ultimate goal was really just to give a speech at a Republican convention - and when he found out he could do so by attending the gay Republicans convention, he then chose to be gay! :lol: So even though this was a married man with kids, he told his wife that he was choosing to be gay (so he could give this talk). He then described himself as a "power top" and tried to hook-up with his neighbor who is gay.

I tell this silly anectdote because as much as this character tried to be gay, he found he was not. He kept saying things like, "But I choose to be gay!", yet he found he simply had zero attraction to men. The moral was obvious - people don't choose to be gay or straight, they just are. No child or teen has "pushed God aside" to become gay - that's outrageous thinking.

What's really sad is how many gay men and women there are who do "act straight" in that they get married and have kids. Only then they either cheat on their spouses or ultimately divorce to be with the person of their own gender. In other words, even if people do try to "accept God and live a heterosexual life", it doesn't work. That's because it's NATURAL for their to be both gay and straight people in the world.

As Martha wrote, asking to be "for or against" gays is like asking a person to be for or against an Asian person or Jewish person. Sadly, that exists too.

But in my world, I am "for" it. :up:

doctorwho said:

What's really sad is how many gay men and women there are who do "act straight" in that they get married and have kids. Only then they either cheat on their spouses or ultimately divorce to be with the person of their own gender. In other words, even if people do try to "accept God and live a heterosexual life", it doesn't work. That's because it's NATURAL for their to be both gay and straight people in the world.

'Tis true, especially in conservative communities like ours (Phil and I). His aunt married a gay man and they had kids, but obviously he couldn't change. From what I know, they parted on good terms. She is remarried, he has a male partner, and both couples are friends and celebrate holidays together.

doctorwho said:
The irony is that those who are most homophobic are actually homosexual. They have so repressed this side of their personality that they feel anything remotely gay must be abolished. If I knew someone who kicked out his roommate for finding something on his roommate's computer, I would (a) be pissed at that person for such an egregious violoation of privacy; (b) think that this person was gay - for why else would he "fear" gay people so much?
I have to say this explanation has never really rung true for me. The most homophobic people I've personally known, the ones who were most intensely hostile and vulgar and poisonously contemptuous in their attitudes towards gay people, were also people who were deeply embittered and alienated and angry about a whole lot of things. The sort of person who tends to perceive the entire world as divided into warring factions all out to destroy each other, and are always working themselves into a hysterical froth about how some group or another are out to destroy civilization, incite anarchy, and drag the rest of us down into the cesspool with them. Obviously there are gradations of this sort of thinking out there (the most terrifying probably being the 'mob mentality' variant), and there's certainly nothing innately heterosexual (or innately anything really, that I can think of) about it, but if there's any kind of dreaded self-recognition underlying it, I suspect it has to do with something considerably more elusive and shadowy than sexual orientation (or whatever it is they're ranting about at the time).

But maybe it's just a question of "those who are most homophobic" calling different things to mind for me than it does for you. And of course one person can never be absolutely certain about another's sexual orientation especially if there are motives for concealment there, I wouldn't argue that. It's just that this kind of straightforward cause-effect explanation doesn't seem right to me.

Bonotheisist said:
Ok I'm done with this...start a new subject....
The War.....Democrats...thr cell phone video of the hanging...some thing else...

Start a new topic if you want to discuss that stuff... but what's with the hot/cold attitude?

Did you just make the topic so everyone could go "yay, gays we love them!" or something along those lines?

People are willing to partake in a healthy discussion in the topic, and your replies don't make much sense at all.

What do you really want us to say?

OH that reminds me. In one of my development courses, my professor insisted on using the term Homophile instead of Homosexual. Something along the lines of being inclusive of virgins I think...I can't remember exactly, I'll have to ask.

Any thoughts? I don't think I've seen that term appear anywhere else but that class! It was the first time I've heard of it.

^ i've not heard the term either.

but i'll be honest: i didn't know i was *really* gay until i did it. with a man.

and then i knew. oh yes, did i know.

Irvine511 said:
^ i've not heard the term either.

but i'll be honest: i didn't know i was *really* gay until i did it. with a man.

and then i knew. oh yes, did i know.

REALLY?! So it was the sex act that confirmed it? Hmm, that is the first time I think I've heard of that.

redhotswami said:
OH that reminds me. In one of my development courses, my professor insisted on using the term Homophile instead of Homosexual. Something along the lines of being inclusive of virgins I think...I can't remember exactly, I'll have to ask.

Any thoughts? I don't think I've seen that term appear anywhere else but that class! It was the first time I've heard of it.

The term 'homophile' was used in the late 50s/early to mid-60s by the gay rights movement. I think it was an effort to de-emphasise the '-sexual' part of homosexuality and to make homosexuality seem less deviant and abnormal. Admittedly, I know very little about it; this is all just stuff I remember from an old module on 1960s social history.

Back
Top Bottom