Homosexualty - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:06 PM
Homosexualty

Nature or Nurture?
Genetics or Choice?

This thread is not meant to start contriversy just want to discuss.

Just curious what U2 fans think about this topic.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 08:06 AM
genetics. ITs not a choice in per say some guy or girl wakes up and decides 'wow im going to be attracted to the same sex, cause im bored with the oppisite sex' i mean you choose to take that step, to act on how you feel rather then have society pressures keep you in the closet (for use of a better word) but other then that, i believe its just as normal as me desiring my boyf body as soon as he walks in the door is for me

Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:06 PM
Not even getting into it scientifically, I'm straight and I don't really care what you do. If you're a guy and you like guys then good cool keep it up, if you're a girl and you like girls cool good job.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:06 PM
definitely genetics. i stand by it, and so does the APA. most of the arguments i've heard against it didn't have a kickass backing like the APA. seriously...can't top that! theories, proof... i'm not even a rational person. but i've read a number of sexual identity development theories, and i've yet to find something strong enough to counter them.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

This should be interesting.

I'm placing the over/under at 8 pages. Any takers?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

This should be interesting.

I'm placing the over/under at 8 pages. Any takers?
do you mean before it gets locked or when people lose interest or migrate to a spin-off thread?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

The former.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 AM   #8
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:06 PM
I hope I don't get flamed, but I really can't say for sure. There are times when I think it's not by choice, but then... for example, I 've had people tell me they've known they were gay pretty much their entire lives. On the flip side, there are, say, girls who are pretty much romantically-involved with other girls, but they get defensive, saying, "Hey, no, I'm actually straight". There are so many different facets to sexuality that it gets confusing at times - and it's such a gray area - that I really can't be certain about anything. LOL.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Old 01-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #10
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceOddity
There are so many different facets to sexuality that it gets confusing at times - and it's such a gray area - that I really can't be certain about anything.
I think this is a fair statement. I feel that human sexuality is so complex that to boil it down to nature OR nurture, genetics OR choice ultimately over-simplifies the matter and probably overlooks or misses some valuable points.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

especially at the high school age I know a lot of people that seem to experiment with the idea but aren't actually sure if they're "genetically" gay or straight or what.

I agree with Canadiens though, if someone woke up and decided they were just going to choose to be gay I still wouldn't care. Good for them.

I do generally believe that it's more genetic, especially when talking about people that end up being homosexual longterm not just sexually confused high schoolers.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:54 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:06 PM
nature/genetics
Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 AM   #13
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
well sexuality is a bendy line, you can still be mostly straight and be with the same sex occasionally, its all a matter of what you feel happy with!

But as a teacher, i have seen some children who will clearly grow up to be gay, and they have brothers or sisters who are clearly straight, so this goes against nurture.

ITs really quite interesting to observe students at primary school interacing with each other. There is a boy in year 5 who is very effeminate, hangs round with the girls, wears lip gloss and sighs about how handsome justin timberlake is, and also how beautiful christina is. He comes from a family of girls so perhaps he grew up mimicing them and this is the product of that, perhaps he just has not blossomed into a boy yet, and prefers the non agressional company of girls, perhaps he is gay and suddenl;y starting to realise and still relish in being ths way before the stares and comments start in the older he gets, or perhaps he is gender confused? Either way, i think the study of human behaviour in regards to sexuality is a fascinating subject and makes me wish i studied that instead of teaching.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Environmental; I would wager that if we cloned anybody and controlled the hormone situation in utero we could control the sexual preference of the baby.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:27 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceOddity
I 've had people tell me they've known they were gay pretty much their entire lives.
When I was growing up I knew I liked the opposite sex. It wasn't a choice. It just was. I would assume it's the exactly the same for anyone else whether or not they like the opposite sex, the same or a bit of both. Like Mr Zappa says, you are what you is.

I don't see why the topic is talked about so much. I don't hear straight people wonder why the like the opposite sex but can be fascinated as to why someone is gay.