Homosexualty - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2007, 11:40 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready
I think its a combination of genetics and choice
I agree with this, but would add environment to it, too.
I'm open to the idea that there are some people born homosexual, but I also don't think everyone who claims to be homosexual was born that way.
__________________

__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #47
Neon Zebra
 
beegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: southern nevada
Posts: 10,590
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
But as a teacher, i have seen some children who will clearly grow up to be gay
I'd really like to hear this one further explained.
__________________

__________________
beegee is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus


I find "birth order" to be a rather weak hypothesis, as there are plenty of first-born gay people.


__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

I'm open to the idea that there are some people born homosexual, but I also don't think everyone who claims to be homosexual was born that way.


i'm open to the idea that there are some people born heterosexual, but I also don't think everyone who claims to be heterosexual was born that way.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #50
War Child
 
Ormus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Frontios
Posts: 758
Local Time: 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
but I also don't think everyone who claims to be heterosexual was born that way.
Ted Haggard, anyone?
__________________
Ormus is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready
I think its a combination of genetics and choice
So what would that mean exactly, that someone is born "gay leaning" and chooses to be gay or chooses to be straight or other? So then if you argue that heteros are born straight, we could choose to be gay right? That doesn't make logical sense to me. I'm just curious as to exactly how you mean that. I'm not talking about having sexual experiences with the same sex, I'm talking about being gay.

As far as I can tell the only evident "choice" could be choosing to suppress what and who you are because of how society treats you and your orientation, or because of your own personal struggles with it, or any and all combinations of both.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 06:03 AM
i apprciate the original intent of this thread -- it's an interesting scientific question, and my guess is that its an intersection of environment with a huge dose of genetics -- but it misses the main point: sexual orientation is 100% INVOLUNTARY. you cannot control who you are attracted to, therefore there is no basis for discrimination or legislation on the basis of sexual orientation.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 06:03 AM
^But you think environment is a part of it? Interesting.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




i'm open to the idea that there are some people born heterosexual, but I also don't think everyone who claims to be heterosexual was born that way.

It's funny how in the 90's it was common to hear people talk about experimenting and being adventurous sexually by doing stuff with someone of the same sex.
Now, a decade later, are you saying none of that goes on? I'm seriously just asking and not trying to start something here.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,655
Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen



It's funny how in the 90's it was common to hear people talk about experimenting and being adventurous sexually by doing stuff with someone of the same sex.
Now, a decade later, are you saying none of that goes on? I"m seriously just asking. I'm not starting something here.
Do you honestly think you could "experiment" if you weren't attracted to the person?

Come on, the 90's was the first decade where homosexuals were actually peppered into mainstream media. And how long has it been around? You honestly think it will be portrayed correctly?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 06:03 AM
Is it a matter of simple attraction or sexual adventure? People do all kinds of things sexually. Are they just born that way, or are they just "having fun?" I'm sorry, but under your logic you're saying people who have sex with animals are doing so because they're attracted to them.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
redhotswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waiting for this madness to end.
Posts: 5,846
Local Time: 06:03 AM
whoa whoa, things are getting tense now at page 4. can you all stretch this out a bit? my bet was for 11 pages.
__________________
redhotswami is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 06:03 AM
Sorry, redhot. I'm going to drop out of this now anyways. This is like the 2.5 millionth time we've had a thread on homosexuality here. I know it's worth discussing, but nothing new has been said.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
redhotswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waiting for this madness to end.
Posts: 5,846
Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Sorry, redhot. I'm going to drop out of this now anyways. This is like the 2.5 millionth time we've had a thread on homosexuality here. I know it's worth discussing, but nothing new has been said.
aww, don't leave! you can make one worded posts. like, have one page of a whole sentence.

I just don't want Dave to win!
__________________
redhotswami is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i apprciate the original intent of this thread -- it's an interesting scientific question, and my guess is that its an intersection of environment with a huge dose of genetics -- but it misses the main point: sexual orientation is 100% INVOLUNTARY. you cannot control who you are attracted to, therefore there is no basis for discrimination or legislation on the basis of sexual orientation.
My problem with this argument is that it acts as if even if it was voluntary it would be invalid; if it was or ever is a choice then it should still be legal and discrimination would still be wrong.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com