"Homosexuals. I think it's kind of gross." - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2004, 10:50 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:59 PM
What can I say baby, I am a love machine

Old 10-27-2004, 10:51 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

You can say the same thing about the people working for civil rights in the 60's too.
Saying homosexuality is gross is not depriving anyone of their rights. It is just stating an opinion. The civil rights movement was completely different. Huge difference. Read a history book to see the sort of shit blacks had to deal with...attack dogs, fire hoses, disenfranchisement, tear gas, intimidation, brutality. What a slap in the face to blacks to equate the civil rights movement with a 12 year old saying homosexuality is gross.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:05 PM   #48
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:59 AM
That robotic boob is strangely off-putting...
Old 10-27-2004, 11:10 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Re: Re: Re: "Homosexuals. I think it's kind of gross."

Quote:

Huh? You really think homosexuality is this country's biggest problem? It would be GREAT if the sexual orientation of the nations' citizens was this country's biggest problem.
sure dude
Old 10-27-2004, 11:21 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:59 AM
We'll have a big problem when the entire country turns gay.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:33 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Saying homosexuality is gross is not depriving anyone of their rights. It is just stating an opinion. The civil rights movement was completely different. Huge difference. Read a history book to see the sort of shit blacks had to deal with...attack dogs, fire hoses, disenfranchisement, tear gas, intimidation, brutality. What a slap in the face to blacks to equate the civil rights movement with a 12 year old saying homosexuality is gross.
Again, that is NOT what I was referring to. I was directly replying to your comment comparing me with a fascist. (see below) I never told you or anyone what you had to believe. But if I express my opinion, you compare me to a fascist. When you did that I merely pointed out that many people who denied blacks rights because they didn't want to drink out of the same fountain, sit on the same bus seats, use the same restrooms (many people probably thought that was gross too), probably didn't like having others opinions "forced" on them either.

Quote:
Well...forcing people into a frame of mind that they don't believe is the same thing fascists tried to do...
Old 10-27-2004, 11:35 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
We'll have a big problem when the entire country turns gay.
First, it won't.

But just for fun, let's say it will. How will that be a big problem?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:16 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I teach 12 year olds every day. They are so immature and "black and white" in their thinking it is honestly funny as an educator. That's what I need to break through, but I know that really can't happen till the students reach 14-15 years old. Freshman at age 12? What kind of school did you go to???? Most freshman are 15 years old. Students graduate as seniors at about age 18.
What kind of school did I go to???? A good one. One which allowed me to develop at my pace instead of the pace at which the "experts" said I should develop. When I was in public school I was nearly failed in 7th grade ("she simply can't do the work"), yet I very easily tested into a 9th grade college prep course at a much better private school. And you know what? I did fine. Not only was I a 12 year old freshman, but I graduated 3 1/2 months after turning 16. It's not completely unheard of.

And as far as the 8-13 year olds I know, I guess I just know an extraordinarily bright group of kids (and when I think of it...they really are wickedly smart kids -- in some ways I pity them, life will be hard for a while).

But I will give you that not all kids are able to think abstractly when they are young (some I think never will). I remember trying to convince a soon to be 16 year old freshman (I was a junior) that I would get my driver's license at the same age she would get her's (16). She never did comprehend that although she would be a freshman and I would be a senior when we got our licenses, we would both be 16 years old! If this is what you usually have to deal with...I give you my condolences.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:25 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Old 10-28-2004, 12:29 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Quote:
And as far as the 8-13 year olds I know, I guess I just know an extraordinarily bright group of kids (and when I think of it...they really are wickedly smart kids -- in some ways I pity them, life will be hard for a while).
Yep. I know an 11-year-old who is just as funky as me.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:49 AM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Now THAT'S a fun album cover!
Old 10-28-2004, 03:08 AM   #57
Refugee

Quote:

tell that to my dead cousin. He killed himself cuz he just couldnt tell his family that he was gay. It IS about civil rights. Gay people are mocked, hated and tormented in many parts of this country. AND they don't have the right to get married or have civil union benefits for their partners and in many cases gay couples are not allowed to adopt children. I know gay people who have been turned down for jobs just because they were gay...and I'm talking about jobs like flipping burgers or delivering pizzas. Not the same as the civil right's movement my ass
Old 10-28-2004, 04:29 AM   #58
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown

tell that to my dead cousin. He killed himself cuz he just couldnt tell his family that he was gay. It IS about civil rights. Gay people are mocked, hated and tormented in many parts of this country. AND they don't have the right to get married or have civil union benefits for their partners and in many cases gay couples are not allowed to adopt children. I know gay people who have been turned down for jobs just because they were gay...and I'm talking about jobs like flipping burgers or delivering pizzas. Not the same as the civil right's movement my ass
Thank you for posting that, LoveTown. I know that must be difficult for you to talk about.

That said, this thread is on its way out. I simply can't, and won't, abide any more comments in FYM about "the whole country turning gay" and how "homosexuality is gross." It won't, it's not, and if this makes me an intolerant liberal, well, then, so be it.

I'm tired of watching my gay friends and co-posters pilloried in here. Simone de Beauvoir once wrote that "No one is free unless everyone is free." Discrimination and unkindness towards my gay friends affects me too, and I won't sit by and "tolerate" it. No sirree Bob, not me.

Go discuss how gross gay people are somewhere else. FYM is no longer the place to do it.

Join Amnesty.