Homosexuals Being Executed In Iran

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay then make the legal provisions for marriage extend to gay couples, allow adoption rights and reproductive technologies so that the whole "no point without procreation" is null and void (since there is no evidence that a child growing up in a homosexual househild is at any disadvantage or in a harmful environment), cut back any incentives and rewards for straight couple and see how quickly society may change once it becomes evident this is not detrimental to society.

I think that the call about those who think of a consistent benchmark as being virulent homophobes is quite wrong and would probably tar most in the libertarian quadrant. I am fully aware that homophobes use that argument but when they do it they talk of it as the law forcing homosexuality upon the population and forcing acceptance, they are defending the status quo rather than change.

A_Wanderer said:
Okay then make the legal provisions for marriage extend to gay couples, allow adoption rights and reproductive technologies so that the whole "no point without procreation" is null and void (since there is no evidence that a child growing up in a homosexual househild is at any disadvantage or in a harmful environment), cut back any incentives and rewards for straight couple and see how quickly society may change once it becomes evident this is not detrimental to society.

I think that the call about those who think of a consistent benchmark as being virulent homophobes is quite wrong and would probably tar most in the libertarian quadrant. I am fully aware that homophobes use that argument but when they do it they talk of it as the law forcing homosexuality upon the population and forcing acceptance, they are defending the status quo rather than change.

I will agree with you, with the disclaimer that any of the above will be decried as "special rights" by conservatives here. These are the kinds of wackos we have to deal with here. Any extension of equal rights is, essentially, defamed with the label of "special rights."

Melon

melon said:

Alright. So Iran is an evil, evil bad nasty place. What are we going to do about it? Pat ourselves on the back for the fact that the U.S. openly hates homosexuals and does everything in its power to make their lives hell short of killing them?

Melon

Believe it or not you have a better quality of life as an openly gay person in this nation than you would have at the same age if you'd been born 50 or so years ago. FAR from perfect. FAR from good. But better in any case.

Perhaps that's cold comfort to you, but as someone who was very close to a gay man (born more like 80 years ago actually) I can only wish he had the same freedoms when he was your age that you have now.

Why do you think these anti gay laws are popping up anyway? It is a desperate attempt by vicious people to push back an inevitable tide. A relatively few years ago gay and marriage were not words ever used together in mainstream US. Now? It's gonna happen. Maybe not by the specific title (civil union is a more apt title I think, just because it doesn't have religious connotations), but I strongly believe gay marriages/civil unions will be legal in much of this country while you are still a young man.

It's never fun to be on the outside looking in, and no one should have to do that. But this society isn't perfect. Unfortunately it does take time to change societies and often forward progress is met with a strong backlash. It's currently a period of backlash. And sometimes you just need to get through that so you can benefit from the next period of forward progress. Life isn't fair.

I'm just going to say simply that any discrimination of any kind towards homosexuals, be it in the form of denying them the right to marry or killing them or whatever, just flat out sucks. Same goes with mistreatment of any other group of people. I just don't understand why some people are so hellbent on making others' lives miserable like that. I don't know if I ever will, either. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior.

Angela

Cant we have uniform secular laws all over the world

Cant UN ban death penality on homosexuality , drug abuse , burning religious books or any such cases anywhere in world?

For countries that gives death penalty, death penality should only be reserved for terrorists blowing up innocent civilians ( all cases) or multiple accounts of murder ( rare cases).

AcrobatMan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom