Homeschooling - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Homeschooling

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/04....ap/index.html

Know any home schoolers? Whadyathink?

Old 04-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 03:59 PM
My next door neighbors homeschool their 2 kids and they are very smart, well adjusted children. One is 11 and the other is 15. They are taught at home and also attend a homeschooling Co-op that is very much like a traditional school setting. Public schools are in trouble in this country and I don't blame them for doing it. I blame poor parenting mostly on the downfall of our society in general these days.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Enrollment has been dropping steadily as timber jobs have dried up, and Oregon's budget cuts have left Myrtle Point facing a $675,000 gap for next year. Since Oregon bases its state school funding on enrollment, every home-schooled child Myrtle Point can woo means an extra $5,000 or so. An estimated 100 youngsters living in the district are home-schooled.

Superintendent Robert Smith said the school system is also willing to adjust the curriculum -- for example, by allowing discussion of creationism in biology class, or biblical literature in English courses.

"We're not setting up a church steeple. But students want academic freedom enough to encourage different things, and that should not be stifled by relying on exclusive treatments," Smith said.

Many home-school parents are fiercely loyal to the lifestyle, and to the educational benefits they see for their children. Some want to protect their youngsters from the peer pressure and drugs they fear are rampant in public schools. Others, like the Wilsons, home-school their children in part for religious reasons.

"I like instruction where the instructor, not just the body of knowledge, is important," Teckla Wilson said. "Home-schooling allows you to work out the pace that is best for them. And, we are Christians, and for me, it is important that I teach them to think with a biblical world view."
Old 04-10-2005, 01:33 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Re: Homeschooling

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/04....ap/index.html

Know any home schoolers? Whadyathink?
My wife homeschools one of our kids as he needs special attention due to having bipolar, other 2 are in regular schools.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:12 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

My sister home schooled. Her first was taken out of school, her second never set foot in school. It's not for everybody, but I'm not against it at all. It depends on the people and their situation. However I am sorry to say I do think it's not a good thing when it's used by religious cults to stop kids from ever having contact with anyone other than their own kind, but that's my opinion. (My sister had serious issues with the school system and certain teachers, it was nothing religious or cultural at all)
Old 04-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
Acrobat

I was homeshcooled in elementary. The neighborhood was not a good place to send kids to public schools so my parents chose to keep me at home until they could afford private school. It had its good and bad aspects-fortunately I was able to teach myself many things and learned very quickly.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I think socialization is one of the most important life skills you can ever learn.

No man is an island and we don't exist in a bubble. In life you might live in dangerous neighbourhoods, deal with people vastly different from you - culturally and religiously, learn that you are just one in a million, work as a partner or a group member, be tossed into an environment with people you've never met but suddenly have to work and live with 24/7.

For that reason, I don't believe in home schooling and would not choose it for my children, save for extreme circumstances, like cardosino's example. I do understand why some elect to do it, and that's fine. It's just really not my cup of tea at all.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I do think public schools are atrocious, for the most part. We can spend hundreds of billions of dollars a pop at rebuilding Iraq, while our own infrastructure is going to shit. This nation seriously pisses me off.

Melon
Old 04-10-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
BAW
The Flower

I think it all depends on the reasons for choosing homeschooling and the personalities of the kids involved.

One of my son's closests friends is from a family of 6 kids...he is one of those kids that was constantly picked on, starting in 1st grade and continuing through middle school. His parents decided to start home schooling him his sophomore year, along with his 2 youngest brothers (who also suffered some bullying, along with slight learning disabilities). They let their second oldest daughter stay in regular high school, because she never suffered from the teasing and bullying her brothers did and seemed better equipped to deal with the typical high school stresses.

He's not missing out on any socialization because he still hangs out with my son and the other friends he's hand since grade school, just not during school hours. His self esteem seems to have improved and he's much happier.

I do think it really important to get homeschooled kids involved in sports or some other activity outside the home so they can interact with neighborhood kids and learn to deal with different personalities, etc.

It would be pretty scary to be taught at home for 18 years and suddenly thrust out into a world you aren't prepared to deal with.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
No man is an island and we don't exist in a bubble. In life you might live in dangerous neighbourhoods, deal with people vastly different from you - culturally and religiously, learn that you are just one in a million, work as a partner or a group member, be tossed into an environment with people you've never met but suddenly have to work and live with 24/7.

For that reason, I don't believe in home schooling and would not choose it for my children, save for extreme circumstances, like cardosino's example. I do understand why some elect to do it, and that's fine. It's just really not my cup of tea at all.
What's kind of weird, is that the home school kids I've met, have been some of the most socially adusted kids I've ever met. Able to hold converstaions, polite, curteous, considerate. It was amazing how up on current events and well spoken they were.

They were the kind of kids I'd have in my college or hire in a heart beat.

They didn't suffer the influence from the other deliquents and trouble makers.

Very mature, these kids. Socially mature by many years.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

homeschooling has its pros and cons. as others have said it all depends on the situation.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

We are investigating homeschooling for our 10-year old.

We've learned that many homeschoolers network, so that kids to get socialization and exposure to different teachers.

I would say it is not for everyone. It takes the right kids, and the right parents, to homeschool.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

i think it depends on the parents, both their motivations for choosing to homeschool and their abilities as teachers.

what worries me about homeschooling, is that you could, in theory, have a bunch of adults who haven't the first clue about how to educate children raising a group of kids capable of rather intense group-think due to lack of exposure to anything other than a highly regimented worldview.

on the other hand, with good parents and teachers, you could provide a child with invdividualized instruction, child-directed learning, and you aren't as held over a barrel by these awful, awful standardized tests that most teachers are forced to teach to lest the school be deemed "failing."
Old 04-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

standardized tests

thankfully i'm finally done with them!
Old 04-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #15
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:59 PM
I was home-schooled from 4th grade on through high school. My parents did it for educational reasons. I started out in a Lutheran private school, but was physically abused by a teacher. My parents tried to do the "right" thing and leave me in for another year, only to get an incompetent 4th grade teacher. She had 4 boys in the school, and would switch grades depending on what year her kid was in. Our classroom was really no better than a daycare--my mom still talks about the day she brought me my lunch and saw kids swinging from the flagpole!

I know the plan was to stick me in a regular high school, but once the time came, every high school my parents approached told them not to do it, it would be like throwing us to the wolves. I know I was supposed to go to Columbine and that turned out rather lucky. I ended up getting bored with my high school curriculum and just opting for my GED--I joke I'm basically a drop out.

When I started college, people told my parents that I would fail, that I'd been out of school too long and could never succeed in "a classroom setting." I ended up making a 4.0 my first semester, and the President's List and the Honors Society the first year. I'll graduate with honors eventually.

I would recommend home-schooling--it depends on the family and the kid for sure. I had a positive experience, though there were alot of things I missed out on and I was certainly lonely. (My sister had friends in the neighborhood, I never did, it's just the luck of the draw really.) I will certainly keep it as an option for my kids.