Homeschooling - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 04-10-2005, 01:01 PM   #16
New Yorker
Local Time: 05:56 PM
Originally posted by anitram
I think socialization is one of the most important life skills you can ever learn.

No man is an island and we don't exist in a bubble. In life you might live in dangerous neighbourhoods, deal with people vastly different from you - culturally and religiously, learn that you are just one in a million, work as a partner or a group member, be tossed into an environment with people you've never met but suddenly have to work and live with 24/7.
That is a real stereotype when it comes to homeschooling and it doesn't have a solid basis in reality.

If a parent wants to, they can shelter their school-going kid just as easily as a homeschooled parent can. I have friends who went to Lutheran school from elementary to high school. But they've never worked a real job or paid their own bills. Their parents have worked *very* hard to make sure they didn't mingle with people of different races. (They wouldn't even send their oldest to CU-Denver, because it was in downtown Denver and you know who goes *there*) Yeah, they are socialized--but with other white, middle class and upper class people.

I don't deny there are cultish homeschoolers, (I've met them and they were freaky) but social and cultural isolation can happen just as easily in a suburban high school. I am a student advisor and I meet freshmen and sophmore students daily who are completely lost academically and socially. If they are the result of real school and socialization, color me unimpressed.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:56 PM
I think it depends on the reason and how it's done. I live in a decent sized city and somehow ALL of the public schools are terrible. My parents sent us to the private schools. Unlike the public schools here, when parents are paying $6500 per year per kid, there's no lack of accountability and responsiblity of participation in the child's education process. My parents were an important factor in my learning to read even though I was never home schooled. Reading is one thing that needs to be taught well and kids are all over the place when it comes to how and how fast they learn to read. Fortunately, our school worked very closely with the parents so the parents were provided the right materials for working w/ their kids at home. I read easily at a young age, but my younger siblings were both a lot slower and needed different teaching styles and tools to learn. For example, the school loaned my parents a special computer w/ programs designed to help my brother read.

If the private schools weren't an option, I hope to God my parents would've home schooled me b/c the public schools here completely ignore the concept of parental participation.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:56 PM
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

That is a real stereotype when it comes to homeschooling and it doesn't have a solid basis in reality.
Yes it does, just not to everyone. Nothing is ever 100% true or 0% true when it comes to people's personalities.

For example, I can tell you plenty of examples where parents homeschooled kids because they felt the North American school system was worse than the one they were brought up in (true). The kids then come to college and they have a relatively limited exposure to the culture they live in. For me personally, as somebody who spent half her childhood abroad, I think there is no way I would have done nearly as well without school socialization with kids from a different culture, who speak a different language, who have different customs. I've seen it with plenty of immigrant kids who were home schooled or tutored, and it was a lot tougher for them to adjust to "real life" than the rest of us coming out of high school.

You have to choose what you think is right for your child, that's all.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was home-schooled for one year during my childhood in Indonesia (missionary parents). I was bored as hell and was very happy to go back to school where there were friends to see, events to go to, etc. Most of the homeschoolers I encountered were maladjusted and pretty narrow-minded (granted this is a special environment because we're talking about families living out in villages, isolated from anyone else from their home culture). So I am very very glad that my parents went ahead and made the decision to send me to boarding school rather than taking the homeschool route.

However in the States, I have met some who are very well-adjusted, intelligent and well-rounded because their parents made a real effort to have them involved in community events, etc. It would seem that it depends a lot on the reasoning and the method that the parents use for homeschooling.
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

Old 04-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
If someone is bullied, they are not missing out on any socialization, they are being saved from it. Not everyone functions well in a group enviornment.

Also, it's not like homeschool kids never see other kids. There are home school groups (though my sister abandoned them because they were so extreme), plus there are kids in the neighborhood (which was the most fun and most socialization I ever got, much more than school) as well as cousins, relatives and parents' friends. These kids are also sometimes into scouting or sports.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:26 AM   #21
As a former public school teacher, I don't blame anyone for wanting to educate their kids at home. I don't have children, but if I did they would go to private school or I would teach them at home.
The public school system where I live is horrible!! I think it is a combination of things including lack of discipline and low parental support. Also we have some teachers who are just collecting a pay check waiting to retire.
However there are a few kids and teachers who try their best but the bad ones just seem to take over.
Also, my district pays the highest school tax in my state and the teachers are the highest paid in the state. We have 15 schools and only 4 passed the state standardized test last year. To me this proves, the amount of money put into education is not the most important aspect of education. The teachers, parents, and students are who make the difference.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #22
War Child
Local Time: 12:56 AM
I was home schooled through elementary school and I will NOT homeschool my children. I certainly learned a lot more and was free to explore subjects that I found interesting beyond my regular curriculum. My mother did the most of my teaching. She was college educated with a degree in education. The reason I won't homeschool is because I think it is important for kids to have interaction with their peers. Hanging out with your Mom/Dad/Brothers and Sisters all day is detrimental to your confidence and social development. That being said, I realize everyone is different and it is possible that maybe home schooling would be appropriate for some children. I just don't plan on keeping mine at home.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
One of my friends is homeschooled, and he's perfectly well adjusted socially in other areas, such as sports and stuff. I wouldn't say he's the sweetest person I've ever met, he's got a sick and twisted personality sometimes (I think that's why we get along ), but you weren't asking about his personality. But he's not shy and doesn't have problems with teasing.

Still, he's not homeschooled for any reason that I know of, and I'm personally against homeschooling unless it's for a medical reason. I also agree it's not right to homeschool a child so they'll be part of some religious cult or whatever. I'd never, ever do it. But parents can make those choices I guess...

btw, I will add that the public school system where I live is above average for the US. There are plenty of by-the-book, couldn't-care-less teachers, and a majority of the kids in my school are actually slackers who have way too much control over the teachers. But there are enough honors classes with quality teachers, and enough opportunities for people that do wanna learn that you do have an option to get a quality education. I personally give a shit about my education and get pissed off when people take it for granted, so I take honors classes and am mostly with other kids who also give a shit, believe it or not!

also, the environment's pretty good. we do have a police officer, but little violence. The worst incident we have had is some kids bringing vodka to school in gatorade bottles (had to get their stomachs pumped and the whole thing). Granted, I'm in middle school, and at the high school there are plenty of drugs, but that's life. still, our schools are good enough that kids come 2 hours everyday on busses from other counties just to go here.

I just wanted to add that because when I typed my response spoiled me didn't even consider that some counties have really bad, even unsafe public schools. I can see why some people would want to homeschool in those cases. Still, as a 14-year old who's oh-so knowledgable on the ups and downs of parenting , I think it's best for kids to be "exposed to their peers" and all that.

whew, end rant
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by MaxFisher
Hanging out with your Mom/Dad/Brothers and Sisters all day is detrimental to your confidence and social development.
Actually, for me (homeschooled from first grade up until high school) spending extra time with my family created a more nurturing, more confidence-building environment that allowed me to flourish. I was smart for my age (advanced reading and writing skills), and school wasn't a good fit. My parents supplemented the home-school environment with a city soccer league and theater classes for me, while my sister (who had dyslexia) got involved in gymnastics and ballet. We were able to learn at a pace appropriate to our needs. It was actually a disappointment to have to go back to school. My wife was also homeschooled, and we're talking about homeschooling our little one.

I don't think homeschooling is for everyone; I had friends growing up who's parents tried to do it, and they weren't consistent and the kids wound up without any kind of structure. Regardless, I think as more and more kids are homeschooled, the cliche of homeschooled kids as socially inept, sheltered Quakers will start to fade away as more people realize that it's an entirely viable method of education. Hope so, anyway -- there was an absolutely revolting episode of "Smallville" a few years ago that traded on the worst stereotypes of homeschooled kids.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #25
We could probably argue about public schools in the same way. People are people regardless of where you put them. As a homeschooler, I had more friends than some of the people I ended up going to school with who were what society labels as "freaks" or "nerds". In the end there are many pros and cons to both sides.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #26
but what about the interaction with other prepare them for later in life
Old 04-12-2005, 11:39 AM   #27
Local Time: 06:56 PM
And the reason homeschoolers do so well, is because later in life, they interact with adults!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:56 PM
Originally posted by u2edgebono
It seems that the lack of interaction with other kids is the exception rather than the rule.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #29
The Fly
Given the state of many schools today, where in some cases the teachers are burned out, testing is the most important thing as opposed to teaching the child to be a well-rounded thinker, and other issues which are part of the negative aspect of public school, the option of homeschool for those who have that ability is a good option. I agree that it's not for everyone.
The lack of social interaction is an exception, not the norm. MOST homeschool families go out of their way to make sure that there is plenty of social interaction for their homeschooled children. The big difference is, many of the homeschoolers have much more interaction with adults than many public school kids do, as well as other kids. In many cases there are local homeschool networks where families gather together for interaction, sharing teaching, field trips, and much more. That is on top of the typical socialization within their own neighborhoods.
Some of the major positive aspects is that the kids learn at their own pace, they tend to learn MORE because of that, they develop research and critical thinking skills that many public school counterparts don't or can't for whatever reasons as well.
My daughter was homeschooled through her middle school years and to this day is still reaping the benefits through high school, which she chose to enter last year.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #30
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator
Originally posted by nbcrusader
many homeschoolers network, so that kids to get socialization and exposure to different teachers.

I would say it is not for everyone. It takes the right kids, and the right parents, to homeschool.
I was home-schooled for 2nd - 5th grade. We were in a homeschooler's network in our community. I wasn't crazy about it at the time, but I think it was very helpful, looking back at my entire education experience. I remember being so worried in the 5th grade about not being able to go to prom if I was home-schooled through high school I've also had the experience of private and public school - none of these environments was ideal. I have some of my most horrific memories from my private Christian school experience.

I'm not sure there is an ideal schooling situation - but my home-school experience did help me to be a better student in a 'real' school environment later on.

bonosloveslave [at]