Homes burned in apparent eco-attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
By ELIZABETH M. GILLESPIE, Associated Press Writer

WOODINVILLE, Wash. - Three seven-figure dream homes went up in flames early Monday in a Seattle suburb, apparently set by eco-terrorists who left a sign mocking the builders' claims that the 4,000-plus-square-foot houses were environmentally friendly.

The sign — a sheet marked with spray paint — bore the initials ELF, for Earth Liberation Front, a loose collection of radical environmentalists that has claimed responsibility for dozens of attacks since the 1990s.

The sheriff's office estimated that Monday's pre-dawn fires did $7 million in damage to the "Street of Dreams," a row of unoccupied, furnished luxury model homes where tens of thousands of visitors last summer eyed the latest in high-end housing, interior design and landscaping. Three homes were destroyed and two suffered smoke damage.

More>>>
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080303/ap_on_re_us/luxury_homes_fire

Last edited:
these ELF people

and some of the PETA tactics

turn people OFF to their causes

These people deserve to do some serious jail time.

They should be held criminally responsible. These tactics are completely unacceptable. It's also the reason I dislike PETA and their behaviour.

is someone looking for, say, someone who doesn't like SUVs, doesn't own a car, doesn't use plastic bags at the grocery store, washes his clothes in cold water, and does any number of things to reduce his overall carbon imprint, to somehow approve or excuse or offer understanding for criminal behavior?

that kind of thinking is only for republicans who support torture.

There have been other arsons at new condos and houses in Seattle in the past few years. Eco-terrorism was suspected, but I don't believe those arsons left a calling card.

Destruction is not the answer. Assholes.

deep said:
these ELF people

and some of the PETA tactics

turn people OFF to their causes

These people deserve to do some serious jail time.

Indeed. What makes pursuing ELF especially difficult, though, is that they are wholly decentralized. In fact, most "ELF attacks" are done by ordinary people with no other affiliation with ELF probably; they encourage people to do that who support their cause.

In other words, ELF is not a defined organization like the KKK or Al Qaeda; they are probably the only "postmodern" terrorist organization.

melon said:

Indeed. What makes pursuing ELF especially difficult, though, is that they are wholly decentralized. In fact, most "ELF attacks" are done by ordinary people with no other affiliation with ELF probably; they encourage people to do that who support their cause.

In other words, ELF is not a defined organization like the KKK or Al Qaeda; they are probably the only "postmodern" terrorist organization.

I agree Melon,

I tried a Google search on ELF a few minutes ago and did not find an official site.

I'd say they are not like PETA or Greenpeace

I think Al Qaeda is becoming decentralized these days

There is not necessarily a chain of command or even any affiliations with some groups

I should point out now that there are some theories that "ELF" is just a scapegoat, and, perhaps, these homes were burned by the developers, who were unable to sell high-priced homes in this plummeting housing market. One of the reasons offered is that there hasn't been an ELF-credited attack in nearly 10 years here, and the fact that homes like these were usually burned far earlier in the construction phase.

If it's true, I'm sure our arson investigators will figure it out. This wouldn't be the first time that someone tried to cover up their crime with an easy, stereotypical scapegoat only to be found out later. Susan Smith, anyone?

The Klan as I understand it is pretty decentralized these days. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, I could see how ELF could be a scapegoat here, they could make a real boogeyman out of them. Kind of like in Animal Farm, whenever something bad happened it was always "Snowball" who did supposedly did it(wasn't that the Trotsky pig? I always liked him).

Whats really funny is that the New York Times referred to ELF as, get this....ANTI-SPRAWLING ACTIVISTS:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Abomb-baby said:
Whats really funny is that the New York Times referred to ELF as, get this....ANTI-SPRAWLING ACTIVISTS:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

?

is this something to get outraged about? or are you just continually scouring the Times in order to find some whiff of this "bias" that everyone on the right keeps saying exists?

Irvine511 said:

?

is this something to get outraged about? or are you just continually scouring the Times in order to find some whiff of this "bias" that everyone on the right keeps saying exists?

This IS bias plain and simple. Political Correctness at its worst. And YES I am outraged that a newspaper cannot call a spade a spade and call them what they are: criminals and terrorists. If you can't see and admit the bias in the reporting, then you truly are blind. Oh, and I'm an independent and voted for Clinton twice. Don't be so quick to paint everyone in a box. I just expect the news to REPORT, not opine in their stories.

I've tried to google it, but didn't find an explanation and the German translation of "to sprawl (out)" didn't explain much, so: What is (or should be) an anti-sprawling activist?

Abomb-baby said:

This IS bias plain and simple. Political Correctness at its worst. And YES I am outraged that a newspaper cannot call a spade a spade and call them what they are: criminals and terrorists. If you can't see and admit the bias in the reporting, then you truly are blind. Oh, and I'm an independent and voted for Clinton twice. Don't be so quick to paint everyone in a box. I just expect the news to REPORT, not opine in their stories.

so you'd prefer it if the NYT better reflected your own biases? you'd prefer a fiery news report that condemned behavior you don't agree with rather than what seems to be a carefully chosen term? did the newspaper not call the activities criminal? did they excuse the actions? or does the very nomenclature of whatever group have to reflect the guilt you already presume? or, maybe, the word "activist" is a fairly neutral term -- some PETA activists do illegal things, they might be criminals as well, but they are activists first and foremost -- and doesn't connote an endorsement of the activity. i don't demand that anti-gay activists are called "anti-gay bigots" when i'm reading about them in a news article.

Irvine511 said:

so you'd prefer it if the NYT better reflected your own biases? you'd prefer a fiery news report that condemned behavior you don't agree with rather than what seems to be a carefully chosen term? did the newspaper not call the activities criminal? did they excuse the actions? or does the very nomenclature of whatever group have to reflect the guilt you already presume? or, maybe, the word "activist" is a fairly neutral term -- some PETA activists do illegal things, they might be criminals as well, but they are activists first and foremost -- and doesn't connote an endorsement of the activity. i don't demand that anti-gay activists are called "anti-gay bigots" when i'm reading about them in a news article.

Irvine again I will state I wish the NEWS to REPORT. I also hope there aren't many who condone this behavior. Calling these people ACTIVISTS gives them (in my opinion) some legitamacy, which(in my opinion) they don't deserve. It has nothing to do with whether they're guilty or not. In my opinion anyone who is doing something against the law is a criminal first, not an activist.

Abomb-baby said:

Irvine again I will state I wish the NEWS to REPORT. I also hope there aren't many who condone this behavior. Calling these people ACTIVISTS gives them (in my opinion) some legitamacy, which(in my opinion) they don't deserve. It has nothing to do with whether they're guilty or not. In my opinion anyone who is doing something against the law is a criminal first, not an activist.

thank you. you just confirmed my post.

Abomb-baby said:

Irvine again I will state I wish the NEWS to REPORT. I also hope there aren't many who condone this behavior. Calling these people ACTIVISTS gives them (in my opinion) some legitamacy, which(in my opinion) they don't deserve. It has nothing to do with whether they're guilty or not.

I think someone needs to look up the word 'activists'. Activists doesn't come with automatic legitamacy. No one here is condoning such behavior.

Abomb-baby said:

In my opinion anyone who is doing something against the law is a criminal first, not an activist.

So if you break the law trying to get your wife to the hospital, or when defending a friend, etc You are a criminal first and foremost and not a trying husband or friend. Becareful of such absolutes.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So if you break the law trying to get your wife to the hospital, or when defending a friend, etc You are a criminal first and foremost and not a trying husband or friend. Becareful of such absolutes.

Don't take my argument out of context. You are comparing apples and bowling balls. And there is a certain amount of legitamacy in the word activist. Like Peace activist or gay rights activist. It is a matter of semantics. Calling someone who burns down million dollar homes an activist legitimizes illegal activity. Our country is based on laws. No one's personal agenda should be allowed to infringe on the rights of others.

Abomb-baby said:

Don't take my argument out of context. You are comparing apples and bowling balls. And there is a certain amount of legitamacy in the word activist. Like Peace activist or gay rights activist. It is a matter of semantics. Calling someone who burns down million dollar homes an activist legitimizes illegal activity. Our country is based on laws. No one's personal agenda should be allowed to infringe on the rights of others.

Even "right wing" papers would call groups who released lab rats 'animal activists', not animal loving criminals.

You're stretching man.

Back
Top Bottom