Homes burned in apparent eco-attack - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

?

is this something to get outraged about? or are you just continually scouring the Times in order to find some whiff of this "bias" that everyone on the right keeps saying exists?
This IS bias plain and simple. Political Correctness at its worst. And YES I am outraged that a newspaper cannot call a spade a spade and call them what they are: criminals and terrorists. If you can't see and admit the bias in the reporting, then you truly are blind. Oh, and I'm an independent and voted for Clinton twice. Don't be so quick to paint everyone in a box. I just expect the news to REPORT, not opine in their stories.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:28 PM
I've tried to google it, but didn't find an explanation and the German translation of "to sprawl (out)" didn't explain much, so: What is (or should be) an anti-sprawling activist?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Abomb-baby

This IS bias plain and simple. Political Correctness at its worst. And YES I am outraged that a newspaper cannot call a spade a spade and call them what they are: criminals and terrorists. If you can't see and admit the bias in the reporting, then you truly are blind. Oh, and I'm an independent and voted for Clinton twice. Don't be so quick to paint everyone in a box. I just expect the news to REPORT, not opine in their stories.

so you'd prefer it if the NYT better reflected your own biases? you'd prefer a fiery news report that condemned behavior you don't agree with rather than what seems to be a carefully chosen term? did the newspaper not call the activities criminal? did they excuse the actions? or does the very nomenclature of whatever group have to reflect the guilt you already presume? or, maybe, the word "activist" is a fairly neutral term -- some PETA activists do illegal things, they might be criminals as well, but they are activists first and foremost -- and doesn't connote an endorsement of the activity. i don't demand that anti-gay activists are called "anti-gay bigots" when i'm reading about them in a news article.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
I've tried to google it, but didn't find an explanation and the German translation of "to sprawl (out)" didn't explain much, so: What is (or should be) an anti-sprawling activist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_sprawl
Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #20
The Fly

Quote:

so you'd prefer it if the NYT better reflected your own biases? you'd prefer a fiery news report that condemned behavior you don't agree with rather than what seems to be a carefully chosen term? did the newspaper not call the activities criminal? did they excuse the actions? or does the very nomenclature of whatever group have to reflect the guilt you already presume? or, maybe, the word "activist" is a fairly neutral term -- some PETA activists do illegal things, they might be criminals as well, but they are activists first and foremost -- and doesn't connote an endorsement of the activity. i don't demand that anti-gay activists are called "anti-gay bigots" when i'm reading about them in a news article.
Irvine again I will state I wish the NEWS to REPORT. I also hope there aren't many who condone this behavior. Calling these people ACTIVISTS gives them (in my opinion) some legitamacy, which(in my opinion) they don't deserve. It has nothing to do with whether they're guilty or not. In my opinion anyone who is doing something against the law is a criminal first, not an activist.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_sprawl
d'oh! Yes, now the term makes sense, I just didn't get to think that way. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Irvine again I will state I wish the NEWS to REPORT. I also hope there aren't many who condone this behavior. Calling these people ACTIVISTS gives them (in my opinion) some legitamacy, which(in my opinion) they don't deserve. It has nothing to do with whether they're guilty or not. In my opinion anyone who is doing something against the law is a criminal first, not an activist.

thank you. you just confirmed my post.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:

Irvine again I will state I wish the NEWS to REPORT. I also hope there aren't many who condone this behavior. Calling these people ACTIVISTS gives them (in my opinion) some legitamacy, which(in my opinion) they don't deserve. It has nothing to do with whether they're guilty or not.
I think someone needs to look up the word 'activists'. Activists doesn't come with automatic legitamacy. No one here is condoning such behavior.

Quote:

In my opinion anyone who is doing something against the law is a criminal first, not an activist.
So if you break the law trying to get your wife to the hospital, or when defending a friend, etc You are a criminal first and foremost and not a trying husband or friend. Becareful of such absolutes.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #24
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So if you break the law trying to get your wife to the hospital, or when defending a friend, etc You are a criminal first and foremost and not a trying husband or friend. Becareful of such absolutes.
Don't take my argument out of context. You are comparing apples and bowling balls. And there is a certain amount of legitamacy in the word activist. Like Peace activist or gay rights activist. It is a matter of semantics. Calling someone who burns down million dollar homes an activist legitimizes illegal activity. Our country is based on laws. No one's personal agenda should be allowed to infringe on the rights of others.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Don't take my argument out of context. You are comparing apples and bowling balls. And there is a certain amount of legitamacy in the word activist. Like Peace activist or gay rights activist. It is a matter of semantics. Calling someone who burns down million dollar homes an activist legitimizes illegal activity. Our country is based on laws. No one's personal agenda should be allowed to infringe on the rights of others.
Even "right wing" papers would call groups who released lab rats 'animal activists', not animal loving criminals.

You're stretching man.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #26
She's the One

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
No one's personal agenda should be allowed to infringe on the rights of others.
I may save this. Maybe use it as a sig.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I may save this. Maybe use it as a sig.
I was thinking the same thing...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #28
The Fly