Homeland Security--Get the Bastard!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
3 Accused of Beating Man, Believing He Was a Muslim

From Associated Press

June 26, 2003

BOSTON ? Police arrested three men accused of hogtying, beating and stabbing a pizza delivery man because they mistakenly believed he was Muslim.

Saurabh Bhalerao, 24, was attacked late Sunday while delivering pizza in New Bedford, about 60 miles south of Boston.

The suspects originally intended to rob Bhalerao, but escalated the assault because they believed he was Muslim, said Fairhaven Police Chief Gary F. Souza.

The attacks continued as Bhalerao, a graduate student at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, explained that he was Hindu.

"He pleaded with his attackers," Souza said. "They were using disparaging remarks and telling him he should go back to Iraq."

The suspects put the victim into the trunk of his own car and, during the drive to the neighboring town of Fairhaven, Bhalerao managed to loosen his ropes.

When the vehicle stopped he got out and hit one of his assailants with a hammer. The assailant then stabbed Bhalerao before fleeing, police said.

Bhalerao was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in fair condition Wednesday night.

The suspects face various charges, including armed assault with intent to murder, kidnapping, and hate-crime and civil rights violations. All three have pleaded not guilty and were being held in lieu of bail.

Police were searching for a fourth suspect.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations called for a federal investigation.

verte76 said:
This sucks. Bust these scumbags. :censored: :censored: :censored:

This does suck and I hope they enjoy their jail cells for a long, long time.

As for the title of this thread, Deep, come on now. It is pretty unfair to associate homeland security with this. The President has spoken out on many occasions about how wrong it is for people to behave in this manner, towards Muslims and others.

Maybe we can change the title of the thread since it had nothing to do with HOMELAND SECURITY, and there are many people who do put their lives on the line trying to make this a safe country. Policies aside.

Dread,

I hear what you are saying,
the attakers did say "go back to Iraq".

There is a lot of resentment of people from the mid -east and asia.

The President can say a few words here and there,
but when they round up people, hold them without charging them, well, things like this are not surprising.

The people in the States I am accquainted with do not behave this way.
Proportionately speaking, I do not think most Americans behave this way.
I certainly hope not.

What does this have to"The Office Of Homeland Security" in the USA?

Atticus.

Last edited:
deep said:
The President can say a few words here and there,
but when they round up people, hold them without charging them, well, things like this are not surprising.

No. This crap has gone on for decades and decades. Fear and hatred of those who don't look like you is nothing new. Pinning this incident on GWB stretches credibility.

Atticus Finch said:

What does this have to"The Office Of Homeland Security" in the USA?

Atticus.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the article that Deep posted. THat is why the title of this thread is pretty crummy, and insulting to anyone in law enforcement, or who works to keep this country safe from further incidents.

It should be changed.

deep said:
Dread,

I hear what you are saying,
the attakers did say "go back to Iraq".

There is a lot of resentment of people from the mid -east and asia.

And this has what to do with the title of your thread? Nothing. It has nothing at all to do with homeland security.

Wow, just like those guys think that every middle-easterner is an Iraqi and a terrorist, every American interested in homeland security is a racist.

I see your logic, 'deep.' Very insightful.

Dreadsox:

Where are those people putting their lives on the line? In the U.S.? No, I assume you are speaking about soldiers.

I am sorry, but I can?t follow you. If I was to define the term homeland security freely, I would define it as domestic security. So, the FBI or the cops may be responsible for my security in my homeland (if I am a U.S. citizen) - but the soldiers are not.

I am not following the argument which says: if soldiers fight there and there, they will protect my homeland interests in the end. Imo, this is way too FAR-FETCHED logic, somewhere around three corners.

But we do not need to lose time discussing about a new definition of homeland security, and I surely won?t.

What amazes me is how much effort you all put in trying to change the title of this thread, instead of discussing the content of the article that deep posted. Who cares about whether a title is appropriate that much?

I would really appreciate if some posters in this forum could develop thicker skin. I am not saying this out of disrespect. It just puts on my nerves extremely (and if this is planned, let me congratulate you, this is quite a fine way to piss me off) to always see those posts who take anything and everything as a personal attack. As if the title of this thread gave you a heart attack.

We are just in a forum, it is just a thread, it is all virtual. Give deep a fucking break.

Thanks for your consideration.

As to the content: Racism. I agree with Atticus, I know that most Americans would never do such bad things.

But I can also see the connection between policies and crimes like that happening. europe?s been through it all, again before of America. The extreme right was rising here. Remember burning asylants homes, or asylants getting killed by policemen, or all the racism and xenophobia against people from Nigeria who the police always tries to paint criminal, or even more racism and xenophobia against people from former Eastern Europe.

We have had all of that years ago, and I can tell you policies, arguments on TV, and extreme right wing politicians influenced what was happening on the streets pretty much. All the mood of the country got different. Fear of "the others who don?t look like you".

Last edited:
Proportionately speaking, no, most Americans don't behave in this way. I'm no fan of the Bush administration, but I don't believe they'd condone actions like this. I think the sarcasm in the thread title is pretty far fetched here-sorry, no personal offense intended to anyone.

A bunch of racist idiots don't need "homeland security" or any other rationale for their disgusting behavior.

I'm not denying that there is increased racism against Muslims and Middle Easterners, but I too question the appropriateness of the title of this thread. But what do I know anyway-I'm just a lowly ole member here :)

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Sorry, it's so hot and I'm :huh:

And dreadsox seems like a nice guy, I truly don't think he took the thread title as a "personal attack", he was questioning the title as it relates(or doesn't) to the actual context of the article.

Maybe everyone around here should cut others a little slack :)

That's all *runs away*

Well, but then I have to ask Dreadsox, what is the point in questioning the relation of a title to the context of a title?

When a journalist does this, it might be disturbing. But putting the importance of the difference between title and context over the actual meaning of the context seems unreasonable to me.

Dreadsox:

Where are those people putting their lives on the line? In the U.S.? No, I assume you are speaking about soldiers.

I am sorry, but I can?t follow you. If I was to define the term homeland security freely, I would define it as domestic security. So, the FBI or the cops may be responsible for my security in my homeland (if I am a U.S. citizen) - but the soldiers are not.

Please, if you sincerely misunderstood then fine I will clarify. I was speaking about domestic security. If somewhere I mispoke and mentioned soldiers elswhere, please forgive me. I guess based on your comments you do not believe that the Police, FBI, and the Armed Forces in the US are putting their lives on the line here in the US.

What amazes me is how much effort you all put in trying to change the title of this thread, instead of discussing the content of the article that deep posted. Who cares about whether a title is appropriate that much?

The content sucks. I do not think anyone here believes it was a good thing. It happened within 1/2 of my house and I am not happy about it.

I would really appreciate if some posters in this forum could develop thicker skin. I am not saying this out of disrespect. It just puts on my nerves extremely (and if this is planned, let me congratulate you, this is quite a fine way to piss me off) to always see those posts who take anything and everything as a personal attack. As if the title of this thread gave you a heart attack.

Since your comments were directed at me, I will say this. I do find your comments disrespectful and I find it to be a borderline personal attack directed at me. I and others have relatives and friends working in law enforcement and are involved in Homeland Security. The article posted in the thread has nothing, nothing at all to do with the jobs that these people do.

As to your nerves, don't read my posts and block them if they get on your nerves. The title of the thread is/was disrespectful to the people I mentioned above.

[Q]Thanks for your consideration. [/Q]

I will continue to post my opinions.

As to the content: Racism. I agree with Atticus, I know that most Americans would never do such bad things.

But I can also see the connection between policies and crimes like that happening. europe?s been through it all, again before of America. The extreme right was rising here. Remember burning asylants homes, or asylants getting killed by policemen, or all the racism and xenophobia against people from Nigeria who the police always tries to paint criminal, or even more racism and xenophobia against people from former Eastern Europe.

We have had all of that years ago, and I can tell you policies, arguments on TV, and extreme right wing politicians influenced what was happening on the streets pretty much. All the mood of the country got different. Fear of "the others who don?t look like you".

No one made these idiots do what they did. Massachusetts is not known for its RIGHT WING POLITIONS. It is one of the most liberal areas of the country. Barney Frank, the Congressman from this District is a known RIGHT WING POLITIAN.:sexywink:

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

Please, if you sincerely misunderstood then fine I will clarify. I was speaking about domestic security. If somewhere I mispoke and mentioned soldiers elswhere, please forgive me. I guess based on your comments you do not believe that the Police, FBI, and the Armed Forces in the US are putting their lives on the line here in the US.

The content sucks. I do not think anyone here believes it was a good thing. It happened within 1/2 of my house and I am not happy about it.

Since your comments were directed at me, I will say this. I do find your comments disrespectful and I find it to be a borderline personal attack directed at me. I and others have relatives and friends working in law enforcement and are involved in Homeland Security. The article posted in the thread has nothing, nothing at all to do with the jobs that these people do.

As to your nerves, don't read my posts and block them if they get on your nerves. The title of the thread is/was disrespectful to the people I mentioned above.

[Q]Thanks for your consideration. [/Q]

I will continue to post my opinions.

No one made these idiots do what they did. Massachusetts is not known for its RIGHT WING POLITIONS. It is one of the most liberal areas of the country.

1) Good that you clarify that homeland security is indeed domestic security. I do think the cops and the FBI do a lot to keep the U.S. safe. If it wasn?t for them, I think chaos would rule. I think most of them do a great job.

2) Fine.

3) My comments were not directed at you, but at some posters in this forum, probably including you at times, probably not, since I do not want to launch personal attacks. If you can explain me which comments are disrespectful and why, I would like further dicussions. You can PM me.

I really do not know why my comments can be personally interpreted as a "borderline attack". In no word, I have mentioned you or your friends or the jobs they do. Apart from that, I have a very good friend who works as a cop, but I do not feel personally offended when someone says bad things about cops. I do not feel perrsonally offended when someone says sth bad about people working in sales or musicians or students, and I (have) belong(ed) to all of those groups. I ONLY feel personally attacked when someone attacks ME. I guess this must be a difference between us two.

4) Fine, you are entitled to your opinions, and I would never choose to ignore you, your comments are too interesting to be ignored.

5) You have misunderstood me. I never said Massachusets was known for right wing politicians. I was trying to point out the connections between policies/ TV and the level of racism in a country, telling about an example in Europe.

1) Good that you clarify that homeland security is indeed domestic security. I do think the cops and the FBI do a lot to keep the U.S. safe. If it wasn?t for them, I think chaos would rule. I think most of them do a great job.

Cool

[Q]2) Fine.[/Q]

Cool

[Q]3) My comments were not directed at you, but at some posters in this forum, probably including you at times, probably not, since I do not want to launch personal attacks. If you can explain me which comments are disrespectful and why, I would like further dicussions. You can PM me.[/Q]

You began your diatribe with my name at the top, with no indication that you had changed to others in the forum.

[Q]In no word, I have mentioned you or your friends or the jobs they do. Apart from that, I have a very good friend who works as a cop, but I do not feel personally offended when someone says bad things about cops. I do not feel perrsonally offended when someone says sth bad about people working in sales or musicians or students, and I (have) belong(ed) to all of those groups. I ONLY feel personally attacked when someone attacks ME. I guess this must be a difference between us two.[/Q]

Nope, I do not think we are different. I do however find the title of the thread to not be fair to people in the professions we have mentioned. Not you.....

[Q]4) Fine, you are entitled to your opinions, and I would never choose to ignore you, your comments are too interesting to be ignored. [/Q]

AS are yours. I have only blocked one poster here.

[Q]5) You have misunderstood me. I never said Massachusets was known for right wing politicians. I was trying to point out the connections between policies/ TV and the level of racism in a country, telling about an example in Europe. [/Q]

I understood your post. Racism is everywhere, even in my liberal state. I am not sure I agree that the Racism here comes from TV or the Politicians, but again, I may be wrong. I am certain it is not coming from their congressman.

On a side note, the bastards that did this two are 17, one is 20. It really pisses me off.

Last edited:
Ryan Marsh, 17, who allegedly stabbed Bhalerao, was charged on Tuesday with armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a knife and probation violations. He also faces hate crime charges.

Tyrell Tavarez, also 17, was arraigned on Wednesday on a hate crime charge and charges of armed robbery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, and armed assault with intent to maim, said a spokesman for Bristol County District Attorney Paul Walsh.

Although suspect Christopher Pereira, 20, told detectives he ordered a chicken pizza from Sarducci's to set up a robbery

Boston is kind of known for the volatility of its race relations situation though...recall that picture of those kids hitting the Black lawyer with an American flag, the busing debate, and the Irish/Jewish/Black/Italian (and so on) tensions that go far far back into the history of the city and the region. As well as some Boston Latin debate from a few years ago over affirmative action...

I disagree with much of what has been done and said by the Bush administration since 9/11, but sadly, I think things like this would be happening in Boston and many other parts of the country even without these roundups. Although those types of actions are wrong, and do make it seem that the government condones such discrimination.

*sigh* It's 4 am and this world sucks sometimes.

Has anyone considered maybe this links to "Homeland security" in the Muslims living in the US have the right to freedom from racist attack?

The amount of racist propaganda against Muslims has almost certainly contributed to this horrible incident. I'm not accusing any person/tv station/newspaper in particular, but the general level of anti-Muslim feeling in the US is very disturbing to me.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Has anyone considered maybe this links to "Homeland security" in the Muslims living in the US have the right to freedom from racist attack?

The amount of racist propaganda against Muslims has almost certainly contributed to this horrible incident. I'm not accusing any person/tv station/newspaper in particular, but the general level of anti-Muslim feeling in the US is very disturbing to me.

Thank you for saying this, I was just about to post the same thing.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I agree. I am appalled at some of the stuff I read in the press. Some people are making stupid, totally uninformed statements about Islam and Moslems. It makes me really angry. :censored: :censored: :censored:

So is the Department of Homeland Security involved in the "racist propaganda against Muslims" of which you speak?

I think it is grossly unfair to categorize the US as having a "general level of anti-Muslim feeling" based on headline grabbing antidotal stories. Consider how Islam is practiced here freely when compared to the practice of other religions in Islam dominated countries.

Back
Top Bottom