Homeland Security--Get the Bastard! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Homeland Security--Get the Bastard!

Quote:

3 Accused of Beating Man, Believing He Was a Muslim

From Associated Press

June 26, 2003

BOSTON — Police arrested three men accused of hogtying, beating and stabbing a pizza delivery man because they mistakenly believed he was Muslim.

Saurabh Bhalerao, 24, was attacked late Sunday while delivering pizza in New Bedford, about 60 miles south of Boston.

The suspects originally intended to rob Bhalerao, but escalated the assault because they believed he was Muslim, said Fairhaven Police Chief Gary F. Souza.

The attacks continued as Bhalerao, a graduate student at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, explained that he was Hindu.

"He pleaded with his attackers," Souza said. "They were using disparaging remarks and telling him he should go back to Iraq."

The suspects put the victim into the trunk of his own car and, during the drive to the neighboring town of Fairhaven, Bhalerao managed to loosen his ropes.

When the vehicle stopped he got out and hit one of his assailants with a hammer. The assailant then stabbed Bhalerao before fleeing, police said.

Bhalerao was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in fair condition Wednesday night.

The suspects face various charges, including armed assault with intent to murder, kidnapping, and hate-crime and civil rights violations. All three have pleaded not guilty and were being held in lieu of bail.

Police were searching for a fourth suspect.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations called for a federal investigation.

Old 06-26-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 AM
This sucks. Bust these scumbags.

Old 06-26-2003, 09:36 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
This sucks. Bust these scumbags.
This does suck and I hope they enjoy their jail cells for a long, long time.

As for the title of this thread, Deep, come on now. It is pretty unfair to associate homeland security with this. The President has spoken out on many occasions about how wrong it is for people to behave in this manner, towards Muslims and others.

Maybe we can change the title of the thread since it had nothing to do with HOMELAND SECURITY, and there are many people who do put their lives on the line trying to make this a safe country. Policies aside.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

This is very unfortunate, but not exactly surprising.

Old 06-26-2003, 10:56 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
what a disgusting act.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:57 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Dread,

I hear what you are saying,
the attakers did say "go back to Iraq".

There is a lot of resentment of people from the mid -east and asia.

The President can say a few words here and there,
but when they round up people, hold them without charging them, well, things like this are not surprising.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:17 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 09:32 AM
The people in the States I am accquainted with do not behave this way.
Proportionately speaking, I do not think most Americans behave this way.
I certainly hope not.

What does this have to"The Office Of Homeland Security" in the USA?

Atticus.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:43 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
The President can say a few words here and there,
but when they round up people, hold them without charging them, well, things like this are not surprising.
No. This crap has gone on for decades and decades. Fear and hatred of those who don't look like you is nothing new. Pinning this incident on GWB stretches credibility.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:46 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Thank you for the clarification, Ms. Crusader.

Atticus.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:39 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus Finch

What does this have to"The Office Of Homeland Security" in the USA?

Atticus.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the article that Deep posted. THat is why the title of this thread is pretty crummy, and insulting to anyone in law enforcement, or who works to keep this country safe from further incidents.

It should be changed.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:40 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Dread,

I hear what you are saying,
the attakers did say "go back to Iraq".

There is a lot of resentment of people from the mid -east and asia.
And this has what to do with the title of your thread? Nothing. It has nothing at all to do with homeland security.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:23 AM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Wow, just like those guys think that every middle-easterner is an Iraqi and a terrorist, every American interested in homeland security is a racist.

I see your logic, 'deep.' Very insightful.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:26 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23
every American interested in homeland security is a racist.
I must be losing my mind. I do not get it.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:02 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Dreadsox:

Where are those people putting their lives on the line? In the U.S.? No, I assume you are speaking about soldiers.

I am sorry, but I can´t follow you. If I was to define the term homeland security freely, I would define it as domestic security. So, the FBI or the cops may be responsible for my security in my homeland (if I am a U.S. citizen) - but the soldiers are not.

I am not following the argument which says: if soldiers fight there and there, they will protect my homeland interests in the end. Imo, this is way too FAR-FETCHED logic, somewhere around three corners.

But we do not need to lose time discussing about a new definition of homeland security, and I surely won´t.

What amazes me is how much effort you all put in trying to change the title of this thread, instead of discussing the content of the article that deep posted. Who cares about whether a title is appropriate that much?

I would really appreciate if some posters in this forum could develop thicker skin. I am not saying this out of disrespect. It just puts on my nerves extremely (and if this is planned, let me congratulate you, this is quite a fine way to piss me off) to always see those posts who take anything and everything as a personal attack. As if the title of this thread gave you a heart attack.

We are just in a forum, it is just a thread, it is all virtual. Give deep a fucking break.

Thanks for your consideration.

As to the content: Racism. I agree with Atticus, I know that most Americans would never do such bad things.

But I can also see the connection between policies and crimes like that happening. europe´s been through it all, again before of America. The extreme right was rising here. Remember burning asylants homes, or asylants getting killed by policemen, or all the racism and xenophobia against people from Nigeria who the police always tries to paint criminal, or even more racism and xenophobia against people from former Eastern Europe.

We have had all of that years ago, and I can tell you policies, arguments on TV, and extreme right wing politicians influenced what was happening on the streets pretty much. All the mood of the country got different. Fear of "the others who don´t look like you".
Old 06-27-2003, 06:07 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Proportionately speaking, no, most Americans don't behave in this way. I'm no fan of the Bush administration, but I don't believe they'd condone actions like this. I think the sarcasm in the thread title is pretty far fetched here-sorry, no personal offense intended to anyone.

A bunch of racist idiots don't need "homeland security" or any other rationale for their disgusting behavior.

I'm not denying that there is increased racism against Muslims and Middle Easterners, but I too question the appropriateness of the title of this thread. But what do I know anyway-I'm just a lowly ole member here