Holy Terror, Batman!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
During his WonderCon panel, Frank Miller discussed his next graphic novel. Once again, Miller returns to the world of the Batman, this time with Holy Terror, Batman!. Though the title plays with Robin's classic catchphrase, the book deals with a serious subject. Gotham has been attacked by Al Qaeda and Batman sets out to defend the city he loves. The book, which Miller has inked through 120 pages, is expected to run roughly 200 pages total.

Miller proudly announced the title of his next Batman book, which he will write, draw and ink. Holy Terror, Batman! is no joke. And Miller doesn't hold back on the true purpose of the book, calling it "a piece of propaganda," where 'Batman kicks al Qaeda's ass."

The reason for this work, Miller said, was "an explosion from my gut reaction of what's happening now." He can't stand entertainers who lack the moxy of their '40s counterparts who stood up to Hitler. Holy Terror is "a reminder to people who seem to have forgotten who we're up against."

It's been a long time since heroes were used in comics as pure propaganda. As Miller reminded, "Superman punched out Hitler. So did Captain America. That's one of the things they're there for."

"These are our folk heroes," Miller said. "It just seems silly to chase around the Riddler when you've got Al Qaeda out there."

Miller gave warning on our expectations over the visual style of the book. "Be afraid," he said, adding, "I think it's some of the best artwork I've ever done." Miller's career took off
with Daredevil, a visual love letter to New York city. In some respects this is an artistic return to his roots. "Gotham City comes under attack, so it involves a lot more industrial landscapes than I've done in years."

"Emotionally, it's really raw," Miller explained. Imagine the powerful rage when someone
crosses the "passion between a man and a woman or a man and his city."

"The Greek's had their Gods and heroes," Miller said. "We have ours." And if you truly consider these characters our mythological figureheads, you have to wonder about their place and purpose in our culture. "What are they there for?" Miller asked, rhetorically. "Are they really going to be saving damned cats from damn trees?"
link

I liked The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One and I really like the sound of this.

:nerd:

But OT what do people feel about propaganda in their media, now this is probably not going the be like the old "War Comics" or the Slap a Jap campaign with Superman (check them out at superdickery).

Last edited:
Interesting. Millers following books are fantastic IMO.

Bat-man: Darknight.
Bat-man: Year one.
Daredevil: Born again.
Sin-city.

Really good stuff. His Darknight 2 book was dissapointing I believe. I'm currently reading his Bat-man and Robin comic and its improving. I'll be gald to see how he approaches this subject. :eyebrow:

Thanks for the news wanderer.

I love his artistic rationale for this graphic novel. It would make a postmodernist giddy.

Melon

A_Wanderer said:
link

I liked The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One and I really like the sound of this.

:nerd:

But OT what do people feel about propaganda in their media, now this is probably not going the be like the old "War Comics" or the Slap a Jap campaign with Superman (check them out at superdickery).

Yeah, I'm also looking forward to this just to see another Miller Batman work. He owns Batman.

But I'm definitely a little disappointed that it's outright propaganda. Sure, Superman punched Hitler on a cover once, but that was the 30s!

The best "terror/911"-related ish was Amazing Spider-Man #36. It was the first comic after 911 & had all the emotion it deserved--minus any propaganda. :yes:

V for Vendetta should be an interesting film. Totally terrorism based but from the other side. I wonder how it will be received? Fantastic comic book!!

nathan1977 said:

Not just manufactured. Fictitious.

how about non-fiction, but still manufacured -- a great way to give voice and shape and coherence to something way, way too murky for an effective soundbyte?

Back
Top Bottom