Holy Kanye! Anybody else see this? - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #121
Refugee

Local Time: 01:34 AM
I've been reading this thread and I am APPALLED.

WOULD YOU PEOPLE PLEASE STOP ATTACKING JAMILA. You know, I'm amazed none of you has even asked her what her racial profile is. With all this racial talk going on. And IMO, nobody should ask.

The last thing I think you can accuse her of is being a hypocrite. I am givng her the benefit of the doubt and thinking she is merely acting right now out of shock, pure shock that in the USA in the 21st century, there should be a 1348 situation where people are left like animals to die and lie in the streets dead for days. The Drudge Report headline says it all.."NOLA Left to the Dying and Dead,"(and that's the headline TODAY,folks...not Thursday.)Maybe she is also comparing this to the entire regions in Africa where whole villages are dying slowly, off camera, of AIDS and where are the cameras and white-hot world outrage. These days, it's all a matter of TV pictures. One thing you CAN say, is that no matter how poor and destitute the people of NOLA were and are, they don't have to put up with genocide and famine and AIDS epidemics. I think she is just afraid that we will lose sight of this. That is a legitimate concern. But I also think she does NOT mean to denigrate us in our concern for NOLA as opposed to Africa. Heck, maybe she IS African-American and if that is the case (and I am NOT asking you if you are, Jamila!) who knows what could be going through her mind right now?

I realize tempers are frayed, there is a LOT of anguish AND anger right now, there is plenty enough to go around. So I am asking that we PLEASE end this right now, because I think BOTH parties are right. And while we're at it, do you realize we've forgotten for the moment about Iraq. A couple days ago 1000 people or so died on a bridge in downtown Baghdad after a stampede that happened in a SHiite procession after the rumor a Sunni suicide bomber was in the crowd. They are suffering too. I mean, just try to think of this image...a thousand people piled up dead on a single bridge. Who are we to judge what is more important? If this is the case, EVERYBODY In this thread is "wrong."

, the world is a mess. EVERYBODY's right, OK? Let;s just say we're ALL right and ALL wrong and then bury our differences and get to the hard work of healing. The world is a harsh enough place without those who HAVE fighting. I've never lived out of a car but I've been though "poverty" spells in my life when I didn't know were my next meal was coming fromand I was faced with eviction. this spring. Don't ask me how I got my tour tickets.

Ok, Ok, maybe some people will take offense at what I've just said. Ugh, this is a jumbled post...
I think we all need to take a DEEP breath here and ask ourselves: "Who has a monopoly on suffering?" Is it the poor victims of NOLA (and ALA and MI), who have been reduced to developing-country conditions, after already being some of the poorest in the US? The people of Africa who are dying of famine and genocide and disease epidemics? The poor, poor people of Iraq, esp Baghdad? The still recovering victims of the tsunami? All other people who are physically suffering? How about the poor U.S. rescuers, and people who are suffering mentally? The "fortunate" ones, who escaped with cars and cellphones but lack homes and jobs--and money (the banks are allgone of course)? I imagine the National Guard and the Coast Guard etc have seen sights that will hant them the rest of their lives, just as if they were war vets.

Like I said, nobody is better or worse than the other. We are all God's children and no m atter if some of us are "righter" than the other, NOBODY has the right to claim a monopoly on anything. If anything, this should shake us out of our complacity and demand greater accountability from our POLITICAL leaders. THis is a call for ALL parties to shut up, allsides, and start unting....

"We GET to carry each other"

Old 09-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Okay, I think some tempers are getting a little frayed here so can we all take a deep breath and try to get this thread back to it's original subject. If the arguing about who personally attacked who and what constitues a personal attack continues the thread will have to be closed. So if you would like this thread to remain open please use it to discuss the topic it was started about. Thank-you.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #123
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:34 PM
post removed.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #124
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 08:34 AM
For the sake of undermining teta's arguement, Jamila is white, I've seen a photo of her.

I'll say nothing more on the matter, I'm going to bed. Lets leave Jamila in the past.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:34 PM
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...n/12554537.htm

This is pretty cool.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #126
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...n/12554537.htm

This is pretty cool.
Will Kanye be performing?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #127
Refugee

Here is a story from Drudge..talk about strength. A 105-yr old lady in a wheelchair was successfully evacuated today along with her 60-yr old nurse and the nurse's 5 yr old granddaughter, after they had spent 2 days trapped in an attic, 1 day camped in the festering encampment under Interstate 10, and the last 3 days in front of the convention center. What things they must have experienced and seen. And the little old lady was still able to talk and smile.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

can racism and class discrimination be so easily extracted from one another?
no they can't, and that's a good point. I was basically making the same point in reverse, that we shouldn't assume it's only racism, but also the broader issue of class discrimination.

Quote:
in the US, especially in the south, one is pretty much the same thing as the other.
see that's not necessarily true, and that's what i'm getting at. the south isn't divided into two parts: the rich white, and the poor black. there are tons of poor whites, your "white trash." poor whites aren't all that much better off than poor blacks, trust me.

I guess I'm just saying that there's some subtle racism and class discrimination. it's not one or the other, and it's not because any of these people dislike blacks or poor people, it's subconscious.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #129
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Quote:
and his message was so scatterbrained there was no way you could give it any credibility.
Or he was just speaking from his heart, trying to get out what he felt needed to be said.

Jumbled, yeah, but I thought it was refreshing to hear someone saying what they honestly felt rather than reading a canned statement someone had prepared for them.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't think it was appropriate of him at all, during a fundraiser. By making such a general statement that "Bush doesn't care about black people," he basically ruined his "credibility" if he had any before. which is a shame because he's partially right in what he said and those things do need to be discussed.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

Rice says race had nothing to do with Katrina aid By Matt Daily
2 hours, 53 minutes ago

MOBILE, Alabama (Reuters) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Sunday toured areas of her home state hit by Hurricane Katrina and disputed claims her government had been slow to respond because most of the victims were black.

Rice, the most senior black member of President George W. Bush's Cabinet, said she did not believe race had anything to do with how quickly the government reacted to Katrina, which killed thousands and displaced millions along the Gulf coast.

"I don't believe for a minute anybody allowed people to suffer because they are African-Americans. I just don't believe it for a minute," said Rice, while visiting a hurricane relief center outside of Mobile, Alabama.

"I see people across the spectrum -- Asians and blacks and whites and Latinos -- helping each other. What you are seeing is Americans are helping Americans," said Rice, who was born in Birmingham, Alabama, and often speaks about experiencing segregation firsthand while growing up in America's South.

Black leaders in the United States have accused the Bush administration of reacting too slowly to help people in New Orleans and in other Gulf areas where most of the victims were poor and black rather than rich and white.

Congressional black leaders pleaded with Bush and federal disaster relief officials to speed aid and said they were stunned by the failure to feed and shelter displaced people after the storm ripped through the region a week ago.

While defensive about race allegations after Katrina, Rice conceded the response could have been better.

"People couldn't evacuate who were poor, people couldn't evacuate who were elderly, people couldn't evacuate who were sick. We have to understand better so this doesn't happen again," she said.

En route to her home state, Rice personally defended the president. "Nobody, especially the president, would have left people unattended on the basis of race."

Rice has spoken to members of the Congressional Black Caucus in recent days to reassure them the government was doing everything it could to help hurricane victims.

On Sunday, she attended a church service in Whistler, Alabama, and prayed alongside the congregation for victims of the hurricane.

Asked to say a few words from the pulpit, Rice, a preacher's daughter, said: "The Lord Jesus Christ is going to come on time." She added: "If we just wait."

Rice visited relief centers where she packed boxes and loaded cars with food and water. She also toured a gymnasium where survivors were camped out with everything they owned.

Afterward, she drove through the bayou where shrimp boats were piled on each other and homes and stores were gutted. A sign outside one obliterated house whose residents were going through the debris read: "Looters will be shot."
Old 09-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Rice says race had nothing to do with Katrina aid By Matt Daily
2 hours, 53 minutes ago

MOBILE, Alabama (Reuters) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Sunday toured areas of her home state hit by Hurricane Katrina and disputed claims her government had been slow to respond because most of the victims were black.

Rice, the most senior black member of President George W. Bush's Cabinet, said she did not believe race had anything to do with how quickly the government reacted to Katrina, which killed thousands and displaced millions along the Gulf coast.

"I don't believe for a minute anybody allowed people to suffer because they are African-Americans. I just don't believe it for a minute," said Rice, while visiting a hurricane relief center outside of Mobile, Alabama.

"I see people across the spectrum -- Asians and blacks and whites and Latinos -- helping each other. What you are seeing is Americans are helping Americans," said Rice, who was born in Birmingham, Alabama, and often speaks about experiencing segregation firsthand while growing up in America's South.

Black leaders in the United States have accused the Bush administration of reacting too slowly to help people in New Orleans and in other Gulf areas where most of the victims were poor and black rather than rich and white.

Congressional black leaders pleaded with Bush and federal disaster relief officials to speed aid and said they were stunned by the failure to feed and shelter displaced people after the storm ripped through the region a week ago.

While defensive about race allegations after Katrina, Rice conceded the response could have been better.

"People couldn't evacuate who were poor, people couldn't evacuate who were elderly, people couldn't evacuate who were sick. We have to understand better so this doesn't happen again," she said.

En route to her home state, Rice personally defended the president. "Nobody, especially the president, would have left people unattended on the basis of race."

Rice has spoken to members of the Congressional Black Caucus in recent days to reassure them the government was doing everything it could to help hurricane victims.

On Sunday, she attended a church service in Whistler, Alabama, and prayed alongside the congregation for victims of the hurricane.

Asked to say a few words from the pulpit, Rice, a preacher's daughter, said: "The Lord Jesus Christ is going to come on time." She added: "If we just wait."

Rice visited relief centers where she packed boxes and loaded cars with food and water. She also toured a gymnasium where survivors were camped out with everything they owned.

Afterward, she drove through the bayou where shrimp boats were piled on each other and homes and stores were gutted. A sign outside one obliterated house whose residents were going through the debris read: "Looters will be shot."

Wow, there's a shocker, I thought it was even money that she was going to say it was racism.

She still didn't explain how her shopping trip earlier in the week went though. Maybe we'll here about that in upcoming article.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #133
War Child

latimes.com

CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK
The Show Didn't Benefit by Censors
By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

AS we enter the celebrity telethon phase of the Katrina tragedy, NBC's "A Concert for Hurricane Relief" stands as a blueprint for its own kind of institutional failure.

By censoring Grammy-winning rapper Kanye West's remarks critical of President Bush during its West Coast feed of the program Friday night, the network violated the most moving and essential moment in an otherwise sterile, self-serving corporate broadcast.

"It would be most unfortunate," the network said in a statement defending its action, "if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion."

Excuse me, but whose tragedy is this: NBC's or America's?

NBC may have been nervous about West's comments, including the notion that America and its president are unresponsive to the needs of the poor. But you can be sure those remarks would have been cheered more than anything else in the program by the black parents and children still trapped in the New Orleans Convention Center and the Superdome if they had been able to hear them.

The line NBC stopped us from hearing on the West Coast: "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

The puzzling thing is why NBC axed that, but allowed another provocation, potentially more disturbing, to stay in: "We already realized a lot of the people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way, and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us."

West was apparently referring to the National Guard troops who were sent to New Orleans to help the flood victims and stop the looting.

The show was aired live on the East Coast, where West's full comments were heard.

There was a several-second tape delay, but the person in charge "was instructed to listen for a curse word and didn't realize [West] had gone off script," NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks told Associated Press.

Whether we agree or disagree with West's impassioned riff on media and government racism, the network's relentless self-promotion was by far the more offensive part of the broadcast.

It started with a welcome from Bob Wright, the chief executive of NBC Universal, which was followed by thoughts from another chief executive, Capital One's Richard D. Fairbank.

Why Fairbank?

Capital One "underwrote" the telethon, which makes you immediately ask: Was his appearance part of the underwriting deal? The fact that the question comes up at all shows you how wrong that move was.

Then we had Matt Lauer, perhaps the most famous male face of NBC east of Jay Leno, host the program, and "feel-good" scenes of NBC anchor Brian Williams walking the streets with New Orleans musician Harry Connick Jr.

Surely Connick, also known for his appearances on NBC's "Will & Grace," knew his way around without Williams' help.

The censorship of West only added to the insult.

West, a black artist who is arguably the dominant creative force in mainstream popular music right now, isn't one of the thug-life rappers who might use a moment on a telethon for shock or exploitation purposes.

The most respected newcomer in rap, he has refocused interest on socially conscious themes, as did Curtis Mayfield and Stevie Wonder in R&B decades ago. There's even a spiritual undercurrent in his biggest hit, "Jesus Walks."

His provocative on-air comments come as his new album, "Late Registration," is expected to enter the national sales chart at No. 1 this week.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

u2wedge, your signature is pathetic and you should give your head a shake.

i'm actually gonna go and buy three kanye cds...one for me, and two for you and your mom.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Some of you seem to think that blacks should keep their heads down.

The same crap was hurled at Muhammad Ali in the 70's.

It looks like history repeats.