Holy Kanye! Anybody else see this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kanye is a fool. It's one thing to have an opinion but to spout it off the way he did creates hate and anger. It's things like this that actually divide blacks and whites or whoever when we should be working together. If Kanye feels that way fine but when he has the type of podium that he does to do what he did is irresponsible. How much time and effort is being wasted on pointing fingers and laying blame rather than getting out and helping. Leave the blame game till after. Obviously somthing is way out of line with why and how it could've possibly taken so long for aid to arrive but to work everyone into an uproar right now and start and all out battle between a "white" government and a "black" community is not productive. I suppose Kanye feels that the white people will also get priority aid. Then again I live in the comfy confines of Sylvan lake, Alberta, Canada so what the hell do I know.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Kanye is performing in the NFL kickoff pregame tomorrow :uhoh: :wink:

Somebody told me that he made a statement that he did not want to comment on Katrina because he did not want to take the focus off the football game....

Is this true? Has anyone seen this comment? or is it a bad joke?

Rapper West Tones Down Politics for Next Performance

Without backing off his criticism of Bush, he says his NFL show will be about entertainment.

By Geoff Boucher
Times Staff Writer

September 7, 2005

A reserved Kanye West, speaking publicly Tuesday for the first time since he lashed out at President Bush during a nationally broadcast telethon for Hurricane Katrina victims, tried to turn down the volume of the controversy.

West did not back off his previous comments but made it clear that his performance Thursday in Los Angeles as part of the National Football League's opening-week hoopla will be more about music than political message.

"This is entertainment, and a lot of times — in a time of need — we need entertainment to lift people's spirits,"
the best-selling rapper said at a brief downtown news conference that featured a panel of music acts set to perform Thursday and some retired football stars. The conference included two questions from reporters — both of them for West — squeezed in between canned questions asked by a league executive.

NFL officials appeared anxious about the political subplot and steered questions away from West's appearance Friday on the NBC telethon.
The Grammy-winning West used the broadcast to attack federal and media response to the disaster.

"George Bush doesn't care about black people" was among his comments heard in the live East Coast broadcast (NBC excised that line from the tape-delayed West Coast broadcast), and NFL officials seemed loath to rehash the issue.

When asked Tuesday whether the NFL had asked him to keep his upcoming performance away from the topics of Katrina response or politics, West said, "I can't say anything about it or wear any T-shirts that say anything about it."

But West said he planned to visit the Gulf Coast after the NFL event to lend help firsthand to the victims of the calamity.

"At this point, I'm just doing my job," the 28-year-old performer said. "Sunday I'll be able to go down to, you know, where [they need] help and do what I can."

It's been a tumultuous few weeks for West. His highly anticipated sophomore album, "Late Registration," hit stores Aug. 30 and debuts at No. 1 on the U.S. pop charts today. The release has been met with intense press coverage, including a Time magazine cover story titled "Why You Can't Ignore Kanye."

In Miami last month, he won the best male video trophy at the MTV Music Video Awards and found his name in news reports when rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight was shot at a party celebrating West's new CD. (West was not present when the shooting occurred and had no apparent connection to the incident, police said.)

"It's definitely been a storm," West said Tuesday.

No moment was more stormy than his appearance on NBC on Friday. The live forum and West's unexpected intensity made his comments a lightning-rod moment. There have been other celebrity comments — actors Sean Penn and Pierce Brosnan have criticized the Bush administration for failing to move faster, the former calling the lag time a case of "criminal negligence" — but West's tense remarks have stirred the most interest.

Music stars who make strong political statements from the microphone assume some risk. The Dixie Chicks mocked Bush at a European concert in 2003 and were punished by a near-blackout of their music on country radio stations and jeers from their Nashville peers. But radio airplay surveys by Nielsen Broadcast Data Services show West losing no steam nationally after Friday's comments. And his marketing deals with Pepsi and the Gap were intact Tuesday despite the dust-up.

More telethons are in the works. On Friday, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB and UPN will air "Shelter From the Storm," featuring Alicia Keys, Paul Simon, Rod Stewart, Neil Young and the Dixie Chicks, while cable's BET will present "S.O.S: Saving OurSelves" with West, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, Keys and Usher scheduled to appear.

On Saturday, West will jump to MTV to join the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Young and others for "ReAct Now: Music & Relief."

Howard Dean..

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/07/D8CFNMPG0.html

what exactly does this mean- do the hurricane survivors have a sense of entitlement? will opportunity appear out of thin air for them?

"Ken Mehlman, Dean's counterpart at the Republican National Committee, said he hoped Dean "will match his rhetoric with his support for reforms that replace bureaucracy and entitlement with hope and opportunity."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/09/MTFH01750_2005-09-09_07-39-29_ROB806853.html

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The stars lined up for Friday's live multinetwork primetime telethon will not be censored if they make any politically tinged comments, program organizers said Thursday.

In a conference call with reporters, executive producer Joel Gallen noted that editing would occur only if obscenities accidentally were uttered. The editing would be enabled by a 30-second time delay, standard for many live programs.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/kanye fires off again

He said, "Back in the days when it was time to clean the kitchen I would try to sweep the dust under the kitchen sink instead of really taking care of it, and if you spilled something on that floor all that dust came right up in front of your face. That's basically what the flood did.

"They have been trying to sweep us (African-Americans) under the kitchen sink and it was so in people's faces and so on TV... that they couldn't even hide it any more.

i marvel at the amount of wasted time here..trying to justify an angry/fear-filled entertainer's words..
..the manipulation by polictians' words in the quest for power so that some polictians have a fear based dependent group of people supporting them..

..i marvel at the race baiting when our bodies are only temporary suits clothing our souls..and inside of these..bodies..our souls are the same colour..

..i marvel how one soul takes food and water to his family..and feeds..his family..and..one soul decides..to loot..14 pairs of Nike Pump Air Shoes..and..when..we..say "hey..please don't..steal in a time..of..crisis"..the race baiters..come out swinging...

..i marvel at all the fear based tatics..used..by those in power..causing..hysteria and ..despair..to..those that only need..love..and..a hand up right..now.

..how i marvel..

peace,
db9

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:

No, but Chris Rock managed to blurt out "Bush Hates Midgets".:|

ha ha..even Chris sees thru the attempted mass media manipulation..and fear based tactics...perfect.:up:

db9

Yes our souls are the same color diamond, and people do need love and a hand up.

But you and I have never lived in the shoes of other people, especially minorities- we are white and privileged. If you read my previous posts, you'd see that I said to say "Bush doesn't care about black people" is extreme and that I give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. I would never believe he is racist or has a racist bone in his body unless I have solid evidence to the contrary.

But we can't sweep these issues under the rug, how will that help us become better people and a better country? These are simmering issues that come to the forefront during a time of crisis such as the hurricane, to attempt to avoid and ignore them will hurt us all in the end - and it certainly won't help the survivors of the hurricane.

Have you ever read these lyrics to his song diamond? There has to be something of some meaning and importance going on in the head and heart of a person who can write a song like this. That's just my humble opinion

We need to recruit all the soldiers
All of God's soldiers
We at war
We at war with society ,with racism, terrosism, and most of all we at war wit ourselves
(Jesus Walks)
God show me the way because the Devil's trying to break me down
(Jesus Walks with me) with me with me with me [fades]

You know what the Midwest is?
Young & Restless
Where restless [Niggaz] might snatch yo necklace
And next these [Niggaz] might jack yo Lexus
Somebody tell these [Niggaz] who Kanye West is
I walk through the valley of the shadow of death is
Top floor, the view alone will leave you breathless
Uhhhh!
Try to catch it
Uhhhh!
It's kinda hard
Getting choked by the detectives yeah yeah now check the method
They be asking us questions, harassin', arrest us
Saying "We eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast."
Huh? Ya'll eat pieces of shit? What's the basis?
We ain't going nowhere but got suits and cases
A trunk full of coke, rental car from Avis
My momma used to say only Jesus can save us
Well momma, I know I act a fool
But I'll be gone till November I got packs to move, I Hope

(Jesus Walk)
God show me the way because the Devil's tryna to break me down
(Jesus Walk) with me)
The only thing that I pray is that me feet don't fail me now
(Jesus Walk)
And I don't think there is nothing I can do now ta, right my wrongs
(Jesus Walk with me)
I wanna talk to God but I'm afraid because we ain't spoke in so long

(Jesus Walk)
God show me the way because the Devil's tryna to break me down
(Jesus Walk with me)
The only thing that I pray is that me feet don't fail me now
(Jesus Walk)
And I don't think there is nothing I can do now to right my wrongs
(Jesus Walk)
I want to talk to God but I'm afraid because we ain't spoke in so long.

To the hustlas, killas, murderas, drug dealas even tha strippers jesus walks with them
To the victims of Welfare for we living in hell here, hell yeah, jesus walks with them
Now hear ye hear ye want to see Thee more clearly
I know He hear me when my feet get weary
Cuz we're the almost nearly extinct
We rappers is role models, we rap we don't think
I ain't here to argue about his facial features
Or here to convert atheists into believers
I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathy Lee needed Regis, that's the way I need Jesus
So here go my single dawg radio needs this
They say you can rap-about-anything except for Jesus
That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
But if I talk about God my record won't get played, Huh?
Well if this take away from my spins
Which will probably take away from my ends
and i hope it take away from my sins
and bring the day that I dream about
Next time I'm in the club everybody screamin out

(Jesus Walks)
God show me the way because the devil's tryna break me down
(Jesus Walks)
The only thing that I pray is that my feet don't fail me now

so Kayne has a lot of anger and still believes in our elder brother Jesus and what Jesus did for us..

.. this is good.

do you think Jesus told Kayne to call GW a racist?

db9

MrsSpringsteen said:
come on Diamond, get real
I was.

He sings about Jesus..and his connection to Jesus.

And you and I both agree GW is not a racist, and even if GW were a racist, would Jesus want Kayne to cause division and strife among his children by labeling GW something he is not, paticularly now?

How is that going to heal anybody?

db9

Last edited:
diamond said:

would Jesus want Kayne to cause division and strife among his children by labeling GW something he is not, paticularly now?

No, but did he tell GW to ignore his brothers and sisters for 4 days? Hmm, goes both ways doesn't it?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, but did he tell GW to ignore his brothers and sisters for 4 days? Hmm, goes both ways doesn't it?

BVS-
You can't say that for certain.
After the waters have receded and the dust has settled and we find out the entire truth and details w phone calls, emails and eye witness accounts on who did what, and who sat on their hands..I would encourage not to pass judgement.

You don't have the entire truth only the media's reporting.

peace,
db9

ramblin rose said:

Chris Rock managed to blurt out "Bush Hates Midgets".:|

I wasn't paying that close attention to the show. More just had it on as background noise while playing with my kids. I could have sworn that Chris said "Bush hates n*****." Glad that is not what was said.

diamond said:

BVS-
You can't say that for certain.
After the waters have receded and the dust has settled and we find out the entire truth and details w phone calls, emails and eye witness accounts on who did what, and who sat on their hands..I would encourage not to pass judgement.

You don't have the entire truth only the media's reporting.

peace,
db9

No I think it speaks for itself. I'm not saying he bears all the burden, but he bears some. He's the leader of the free world and millions of his inhabitants are suffering and were left stranded far too long.

bvs-

you judge prematurely...

im more concerned what ppl did immediately as the ppl were drowning, one concern is while ppl drowned some chose to affix blame prematuerly..

if a large building were engulfed in flames and we knew ppl were still alive inside.. would we stand around and agrue about smoke detectors, who started the fire.. as the building burnt or would we recuse the ppl trapped inside?

db9

Last edited:
diamond said:
bvs-
you judge harshly.

db9

You're a funny man. You judged first. You judged much more harshly than I ever did. Take a step back Diamond, take off your rose colored glasses and look at the suffering of our brothers.

The Jesus I believe in and know in my heart cares about truth, and wants us to speak it. Sometimes that truth isn't pretty, or can't be saved for a more appropriate time. This isn't just about the hurricane, it's about many other issues that we need to confront. When people are angry, they don't always say the most politically correct thing. Sometimes it's tough to censor what comes from your heart, whether it's right or wrong.

I respect if you don't see it that way diamond, we all have our own truth and I respect that. But I do think maybe at this time, the truth for minorities in this country is far more important than the truth for you and I.

Mrs S.-

I have empathy for what happened to each indivual, and empathy for how each indivulal responds to a crisis.

I think Shaq's response was much more healthier than Kayne's.

2 different ppl with parallel circumstances.

All we can do in the present is:

-pray for the victims that they do not despair.
-pray for ppl to come together and help eachother.
-love everyone.

Its a lot simpler than we're making it.

db9

diamond said:

All we can do in the present is:

-pray for the victims that they do not despair.
-pray for ppl to come together and help eachother.
-love everyone.

Its a lot simpler than we're making it.

db9

Yes what Shaquille is doing is wonderful, I'm sure Kanye will do what he can to help as well. He seems angry about the situation for poor African Americans in this country and I happen to think that anger is justified.

I don't think that's all we can do, I think we can also take a good hard look at ourselves in the mirror as a country and as individuals . That is not simple, but it is necessary. Like I said, it's not just about the hurricane.

So we can do both, we can help w/ the hurricane and also work on other things

diamond said:
bvs-

you judge prematurely...

im more concerned what ppl did immediately as the ppl were drowning, one concern is while ppl drowned some chose to affix blame prematuerly..

if a large building were engulfed in flames and we knew ppl were still alive inside.. would we stand around and agrue about smoke detectors, who started the fire.. as the building burnt or would we recuse the ppl trapped inside?

db9

You may call it affixing blame prematurely, but I call it calling a spade a spade. It was obvious to a kindergartner that the government on all levels was incredibly inept at responding to the tragedy. People raising a stink about it may have finally spurred some action.

"that the government on all levels was incredibly inept "

so how does that justify calling gw a racist which is the topic at hand and more importantly how does that save or heal ppl quicker?

db9

diamond said:

so how does that justify calling gw a racist which is the topic at hand and more importantly how does that save or heal ppl quicker?

db9

Sorry, diamond, I thought we were talking about people criticizing the government in general, not specifically what Kanye said. I guess I forgot what this thread was originally about, since we seemed to have wandered off topic a bit. What I meant was who knows how long it would have taken the government to react if people hadn't asked hard questions about what was going on?

As far what Kanye said, I don't think Bush is really a racist - at least not the sheet-wearing, cross-burning kind. But you have to wonder what the heck is going on when he seems to care more about Trent Lott getting his house rebuilt than rescuing poor black people who have been living in hellish conditions for four days. Personally I think Kanye could have phrased it better, but I'm willing to cut him some slack because he seemed so shaken by what he had been seeing on TV. Sometimes when people get emotional, they don't stop to think about what they say.

Kanye West certainly does seem like a master of race relations...

"Hip-hop star KANYE WEST is advising his white counterparts that they can only use certain slang terms when they're out of style for black people.

The JESUS WALKS rapper - who recently charged that US President GEORGE W BUSH "doesn't care" about African Americans - believes that certain slang words should only be able to cross racial barriers when they're no longer in style for black people.

He says, "I think white people are allowed to say 'bling'. They are allowed to say old-school black slang, like 'hottie' and 'homie'.

"Actually, I do not think that (white people) are allowed to use slang until it is at least a year old. If you say a slang word too early, it's like you're trying to be black. So as long as the slang is a little played out, you're all good."

I look forward to hearing more of his insightful views in the future.

diamond said:

so how does that justify calling gw a racist

yo Diamond!

its free speech, and a very mild form compared to certain book-burners. thats how people express their opinion. the background is that Bush is the leader of your country, and poor people waited for four days. poor in this region means mainly Afro-American, so there you go, that´s the background. whether your estimated President holds racist or non racist personal views is totally irrelevant. fact is he has failed and there are millions of people who lost their homes. while this tragedy happens people from the same think tank like Bush (neo-liberal, conservative, so-called "Christians") go around sayin duh this is because those ppl were so sinful and NO a city of sin had to go under biblical blah-blah with a racist background.

so whether you get this in your head or not, the connection, while it may be inappropriate, is not made out of the blue. its free speech -deal with it and don´t bash those who question the efficience of your government. or do bash if you will but also this is irrelevant compared to the tragedy and the questions that American citizens naturally ask.

Back
Top Bottom