Holy Kanye! Anybody else see this? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2005, 11:06 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Abomb-baby
My point was

My point is:

Did you read the full transcript?

or

Watch the video live or on replay.

He did not walk up, raise a clenched fists

and yell

"Bush hates black people"

Your reaction seems to be to the excerpted Drudge sensationalized headline?

Old 09-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #62
The Fly

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Your reaction seems to be to the excerpted Drudge sensationalized headline?
Yes I read it and saw it, thank you. Like I said a time and place for everything. And don't make any assumptions about me. You don't know me. I don't read Drudge. I just don't happen to like the whole race card being played in this time of need.

Old 09-03-2005, 11:30 AM   #63
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
I've been to these poor sections of New Orleans. I've seen this with my own eyes. And you know, those scenes don't look all that different from the suffering in Africa, besides less desert and more urban wasteland. I would never begrudge the people who live there who are impoverished.

I have been there too. The area around the St. Louis cemetary is a classic ghetto--like something you would see in a third world country. I was shocked. I had never seen anything like it.

To begrudge these people anything is simply disgusting and shameful. Take off your ONE bracelet now, Jamila--it doesn't look like we're all in this together, after all.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Yes I read it and saw it, thank you. Like I said a time and place for everything. And don't make any assumptions about me. You don't know me. I don't read Drudge. I just don't happen to like the whole race card being played in this time of need.
It is true,
That most of us in here don't know each other by more than what we reveal in our replies and posts.

If after viewing the video
YOU label it as

playing the "race card'

I find that big a leap

I don't see it that way at all

All are welcome to make what assumptions they will
about our different conclusions.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:57 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:07 AM
can someone stop the bashing now. thats ugly

chill people. chill.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
My point was that there is a time and place for all things. That wasn't it. You don't alienate people who you are trying to get to open up there wallets. Does anyone understand that? Joe suburbia may have turned on the TV looking at a way to contribute and saw this Rant about blacks Vs. Whites or maybe he voted for Bush and thought, "what the hell!!?" and changed the channel to ESPN or something.
if someone saw all the devastation down there and decided NOT to donate based on kanye's statements, well, talk about small hearts and small minds.

yes it was inappropriate, but i think we've all said things that we regret at times where frustrations and emotions are running high. kanye was keeping it real, i guess. good on him. after watching the news coverage during the past week, i might be inclined to agree with him.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #67
Refugee

Local Time: 05:07 AM

Was just not appropriate for the effort.....that of raising donations for the victims.....not a time of personal opinion.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #68
The Fly

SO I guess saying "Bush doesn't care about black people" is keeping it real? Why didn't he just say Bush doesn't care about the south, or Bush doesn't care about NOLA? I can only assume since Bush doen't care about 68% of the black pop. in NOLA he also doesn't give a crap about the 32% of whites who live there either. Why does it always have to end up at the race issue in America? How are we ever gonna heal this divide in our country? I hate this. I just want people to realize that I don't think talking about race or poliics right now is whats best for the situation. we need to be coming together as americans instead of seperating ourselves along ethnic lines and political parties.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
My point was that there is a time and place for all things. That wasn't it.
Yes, because everybody has been doing and saying things at the "right" time this past week, right? Hell, there's probably things I've said this week at a time when I probably should not have said them. But I did. It happens. That is life.

I didn't get a chance to see this show last night, so I missed out on Kanye's speech. But really, from what I hear, it does make you wonder why those poor areas had been neglected for so long.

Also, are there poor white people, too? Absolutely. And should we help them? Definitely. We should help everyone, black, white, Christian, atheist, poor, rich, etc., etc. who have been affected by this tragedy. Nobody is arguing that.

But it would not surprise me if race were in some way a part of why some people did not get the help they needed.

*Also knows, by the way, what it's like to have virtually no money* My family, at one time, was living in and out of motels, just barely squeaking by, and once we even wound up sleeping in our car, as we couldn't find a place we could afford to stay in for the night. And while my family's living much more comfortably now than we were then, at the same time, we're still leaning more toward lower middle-class. But at least I can still say I had/have a roof over my head and a place to sleep, even if it wasn't always an ideal one. Some people can't even say that.

Angela
Old 09-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

number one

first he criticized
the media

and then

himself.

Quote:
"I hate the way they portray us in the media.

"If you see a black family it says they are looting if you see a white family it says they are looking for food.

"And you know that it’s been 5 days because most of the people are black and even for me to complain …
I would be a hypocrite because I would turn away from the TV because it’s too hard to watch. I’ve even been shopping before giving a donation and so right now I’m calling my business manager what is the biggest amount I can give.

number two

Mike Myers spoke

then K.West criticize a third party

Quote:
Kanye West: "George Bush doesn’t care about black people."

Then camera abruptly switches to another black actor
he got cut off

Then camera abruptly switches to another black actor

we don't know what he was going to say next
Old 09-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
SO I guess saying "Bush doesn't care about black people" is keeping it real? Why didn't he just say Bush doesn't care about the south, or Bush doesn't care about NOLA? I can only assume since Bush doen't care about 68% of the black pop. in NOLA he also doesn't give a crap about the 32% of whites who live there either. Why does it always have to end up at the race issue in America? How are we ever gonna heal this divide in our country? I hate this. I just want people to realize that I don't think talking about race or poliics right now is whats best for the situation. we need to be coming together as americans instead of seperating ourselves along ethnic lines and political parties.
i just meant that kanye was saying what he felt and being true to himself, that's all. i agreed with you that it wasn't appropriate to the occasion.

just so you know, i'm not american. that there seems to be some sort of racial/economic divide, is what has been startlingly apparent, to me, after watching the news for the last few days. maybe it's media bias, i don't know. but i've heard it said, that yes, this tragedy has affected the whole of the gulf coast, but there seems to be a certain segment of the population that is currently bearing the brunt of it.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

perhaps

K. West is just another black man on crack

or

Maybe his realty is different from a middle-aged white man like me,
with an net worth in the millions

I love those tax cuts

and am in the group whose assets have gone up dramatically under bush-cheney

but i am not blind - that property rates are up

productivity, squeezed out of employees, is up for employers

While wages for working stiffs
are down. neat trick

make tax cuts permanent now.

do not let all the dead in the American gulf -
killed by the terrorist Katrina - die for no reason

Honor their deaths!!

Repeal the Death Tax now!!!
Old 09-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #73
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Why didn't he just say Bush doesn't care about the south, or Bush doesn't care about NOLA? I can only assume since Bush doen't care about 68% of the black pop. in NOLA he also doesn't give a crap about the 32% of whites who live there either. Why does it always have to end up at the race issue in America?
i just had this exact conversation with someone this morning
Old 09-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

its either race or its either gay

the only two problems in america
Old 09-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

the cards that are played by the administration

as dictated by rove, the soulless scumbag,
to manage marginal election victories