Holy Kanye! Anybody else see this? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2005, 10:29 AM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 08:51 AM
NOTHING LIKE LIVE TV!!!!!!!!! Does anyone else think he just blew his chance to open for U2 on the tour...i sure hope so!

Old 09-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

yes, it's annoying when loudmouth musicians voice their opinions

Old 09-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #48
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth
NOTHING LIKE LIVE TV!!!!!!!!! Does anyone else think he just blew his chance to open for U2 on the tour...i sure hope so!
No chance, if anything he'll get more dates.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Kanye's breathtakingly arrogant, but he's rather brilliant.

all's y'alls: go download "Hey Mama" or "Diamonds From Sierra Leone."

genius, both in form and in content.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #50
The Fly

Local Time: 06:51 AM
Hmm, I want to know where all the Big name Black Sports and entertainment celebrities are. Will they be giving huge cash donations to these communities they so proudly hail as where they grew up? Venus Williams pledging $100 an Ace to hurricane relief? Thats embarrassing!!! How about $1000 or even $10000 an Ace, Venus? I have donated money and will donate more. I will also be donating my time and energy in my job. How many black artists/ sports people will be doing the same? Put your money where your mouth is, Kanye.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Abomb-baby
Put your money where your mouth is, Kanye.
Wasn't that the purpose of his performance at the live telethon?

Melon
Old 09-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #52
Refugee

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Quote:
Hmm, I want to know where all the Big name Black Sports and entertainment celebrities are. Will they be giving huge cash donations to these communities they so proudly hail as where they grew up? Venus Williams pledging $100 an Ace to hurricane relief? Thats embarrassing!!! How about $1000 or even $10000 an Ace, Venus? I have donated money and will donate more. I will also be donating my time and energy in my job. How many black artists/ sports people will be doing the same? Put your money where your mouth is, Kanye.
Did you hear his rant? He is apparently organising a dontation, and admitted his failure to help out quicker.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #53
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Wasn't that the purpose of his performance at the live telethon?

Melon
No, it appears he was more interested in drawing attention to himself than to efforts to raise money, melon. He took away from the spirit of the relief effort and probably alienated half of the country with his idiotic comments.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:48 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth
did you watch the video?

if you watch the vid
it is sincere, and heartfelt,

or are you just responding to hysterical right- leaning Drudge / Fox News reporting

spinners and liars

here is a complete? transcript

Quote:
Kanye West at the NBC Concert for Hurricane Katrina Relief

Fuller transcript from Tracy and Eric: Kanye West at the NBC Concert for Hurricane Katrina Relief:

Mike Meyers reads off prompter … switches to black singer, Kanye West:

"I hate the way they portray us in the media.

"If you see a black family it says they are looting if you see a white family it says they are looking for food.

"And you know that it’s been 5 days because most of the people are black and even for me to complain …
I would be a hypocrite because I would turn away from the TV because it’s too hard to watch. I’ve even been shopping before giving a donation and so right now I’m calling my business manager what is the biggest amount I can give.

"And just to imagine if I was down there, those are my people down there. So anybody out there who wants to help with the set up, the way that America is set up to help … The poor, the black people, the less well off as slow as possible. I mean, Red Cross is doing everything they can.

"We already realize a lot of the people that could help are at war now fighting another way and they’ve given them permission to go down and shoot us."

(Mike Meyers tries to get back on prompter, reads from script and then camera cuts back to Kanye. He pauses before

Kanye West: "George Bush doesn’t care about black people."

Then camera abruptly switches to another black actor

So the distorted HEADLINES could just as easily have read:

Kanye West a hypocrite
Shopping before giving a donation
Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #55
Refugee

Quote:

probably alienated half of the country with his idiotic comments.
Wow. If you think that then you probably have more faith in the power of his words than even him!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Why the fuck is what's happening in New Orleans any different than what is going on in Africa?! Both are situations that deserve compassion and action. I simply can't believe I've seen someone who supposedly espouts all these ideals to 'be the change in the world' so easily fold without having a Bono quote to hide behind.

In response to Kayne, I think there is definetly some grain of truth behind what was said. I'm not saying everything he said was spot on, but the man was visibily moved and emotionally charged about the situation which is more than I can say for some.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #57
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Why the fuck is what's happening in New Orleans any different than what is going on in Africa?! Both are situations that deserve compassion and action. I simply can't believe I've seen someone who supposedly espouts all these ideals to 'be the change in the world' so easily fold without having a Bono quote to hide behind.

I'm glad that my assumption many moons ago that Jamila is a nut job is being realised to an extent.

I think that we've all had our say on that matter now, lets leave it atleast until she comes back to spout off.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
No, it appears he was more interested in drawing attention to himself than to efforts to raise money, melon. He took away from the spirit of the relief effort and probably alienated half of the country with his idiotic comments.
Hardly. I really doubt people did not donate, because of him. Maybe a small minority didn't donate to NBC, but I'm sure the easily offended probably wouldn't trust a television network anyway and probably donated to one of the myriad of other options out there--secular and faith-based alike.

Melon
Old 09-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #59
The Fly

My point was that there is a time and place for all things. That wasn't it. You don't alienate people who you are trying to get to open up there wallets. Does anyone understand that? Joe suburbia may have turned on the TV looking at a way to contribute and saw this Rant about blacks Vs. Whites or maybe he voted for Bush and thought, "what the hell!!?" and changed the channel to ESPN or something. It wasn't the time. Nor is the time to start politicizing htis mess. Lets get these people some help and worry about pointing fingers later. And another thing, there are a hell of a lot of poor whites in the south also.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Hmm, I want to know where all the Big name Black Sports and entertainment celebrities are. Will they be giving huge cash donations to these communities they so proudly hail as where they grew up? How many black artists/ sports people will be doing the same? Put your money where your mouth is, Kanye.
Not all celebrities publicize their donations. Some feel the need to to set an example, some choose to bring attention to themselves and some choose to give privately. Let's not assume that just because we don't know how much Russell Simmons and Jay-Z are donating, that they are not donating.