Holy Kanye! Anybody else see this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Abomb-baby said:
My point was

My point is:

Did you read the full transcript?

or

Watch the video live or on replay.

He did not walk up, raise a clenched fists

and yell

"Bush hates black people"

Your reaction seems to be to the excerpted Drudge sensationalized headline?

deep said:

Your reaction seems to be to the excerpted Drudge sensationalized headline?

Yes I read it and saw it, thank you. Like I said a time and place for everything. And don't make any assumptions about me. You don't know me. I don't read Drudge. I just don't happen to like the whole race card being played in this time of need.

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:
I've been to these poor sections of New Orleans. I've seen this with my own eyes. And you know, those scenes don't look all that different from the suffering in Africa, besides less desert and more urban wasteland. I would never begrudge the people who live there who are impoverished.

:up:

I have been there too. The area around the St. Louis cemetary is a classic ghetto--like something you would see in a third world country. I was shocked. I had never seen anything like it.

To begrudge these people anything is simply disgusting and shameful. Take off your ONE bracelet now, Jamila--it doesn't look like we're all in this together, after all.

Abomb-baby said:

Yes I read it and saw it, thank you. Like I said a time and place for everything. And don't make any assumptions about me. You don't know me. I don't read Drudge. I just don't happen to like the whole race card being played in this time of need.

It is true,
That most of us in here don't know each other by more than what we reveal in our replies and posts.

If after viewing the video
YOU label it as

playing the "race card'

I find that big a leap

I don't see it that way at all

All are welcome to make what assumptions they will
about our different conclusions.

can someone stop the bashing now. thats ugly
genervt9.gif

chill people. chill.
smokin1.gif

Abomb-baby said:
My point was that there is a time and place for all things. That wasn't it. You don't alienate people who you are trying to get to open up there wallets. Does anyone understand that? Joe suburbia may have turned on the TV looking at a way to contribute and saw this Rant about blacks Vs. Whites or maybe he voted for Bush and thought, "what the hell!!?" and changed the channel to ESPN or something.
if someone saw all the devastation down there and decided NOT to donate based on kanye's statements, well, talk about small hearts and small minds. :down:

yes it was inappropriate, but i think we've all said things that we regret at times where frustrations and emotions are running high. kanye was keeping it real, i guess. good on him. after watching the news coverage during the past week, i might be inclined to agree with him.

Was just not appropriate for the effort.....that of raising donations for the victims.....not a time of personal opinion.

:|

SO I guess saying "Bush doesn't care about black people" is keeping it real? Why didn't he just say Bush doesn't care about the south, or Bush doesn't care about NOLA? I can only assume since Bush doen't care about 68% of the black pop. in NOLA he also doesn't give a crap about the 32% of whites who live there either. Why does it always have to end up at the race issue in America? How are we ever gonna heal this divide in our country? I hate this. I just want people to realize that I don't think talking about race or poliics right now is whats best for the situation. we need to be coming together as americans instead of seperating ourselves along ethnic lines and political parties.

Abomb-baby said:
My point was that there is a time and place for all things. That wasn't it.

Yes, because everybody has been doing and saying things at the "right" time this past week, right? Hell, there's probably things I've said this week at a time when I probably should not have said them. But I did. It happens. That is life.

I didn't get a chance to see this show last night, so I missed out on Kanye's speech. But really, from what I hear, it does make you wonder why those poor areas had been neglected for so long.

Also, are there poor white people, too? Absolutely. And should we help them? Definitely. We should help everyone, black, white, Christian, atheist, poor, rich, etc., etc. who have been affected by this tragedy. Nobody is arguing that.

But it would not surprise me if race were in some way a part of why some people did not get the help they needed.

*Also knows, by the way, what it's like to have virtually no money* My family, at one time, was living in and out of motels, just barely squeaking by, and once we even wound up sleeping in our car, as we couldn't find a place we could afford to stay in for the night. And while my family's living much more comfortably now than we were then, at the same time, we're still leaning more toward lower middle-class. But at least I can still say I had/have a roof over my head and a place to sleep, even if it wasn't always an ideal one. Some people can't even say that.

Angela

number one

first he criticized
the media

and then

himself.

"I hate the way they portray us in the media.

"If you see a black family it says they are looting if you see a white family it says they are looking for food.

"And you know that it’s been 5 days because most of the people are black and even for me to complain …
I would be a hypocrite because I would turn away from the TV because it’s too hard to watch. I’ve even been shopping before giving a donation and so right now I’m calling my business manager what is the biggest amount I can give.

number two

Mike Myers spoke

then K.West criticize a third party

Kanye West: "George Bush doesn’t care about black people."

Then camera abruptly switches to another black actor

he got cut off

Then camera abruptly switches to another black actor

we don't know what he was going to say next

Abomb-baby said:
SO I guess saying "Bush doesn't care about black people" is keeping it real? Why didn't he just say Bush doesn't care about the south, or Bush doesn't care about NOLA? I can only assume since Bush doen't care about 68% of the black pop. in NOLA he also doesn't give a crap about the 32% of whites who live there either. Why does it always have to end up at the race issue in America? How are we ever gonna heal this divide in our country? I hate this. I just want people to realize that I don't think talking about race or poliics right now is whats best for the situation. we need to be coming together as americans instead of seperating ourselves along ethnic lines and political parties.
i just meant that kanye was saying what he felt and being true to himself, that's all. i agreed with you that it wasn't appropriate to the occasion.

just so you know, i'm not american. that there seems to be some sort of racial/economic divide, is what has been startlingly apparent, to me, after watching the news for the last few days. maybe it's media bias, i don't know. but i've heard it said, that yes, this tragedy has affected the whole of the gulf coast, but there seems to be a certain segment of the population that is currently bearing the brunt of it.

perhaps

K. West is just another black man on crack

or

Maybe his realty is different from a middle-aged white man like me,
with an net worth in the millions

I love those tax cuts

and am in the group whose assets have gone up dramatically under bush-cheney

but i am not blind - that property rates are up

productivity, squeezed out of employees, is up for employers

While wages for working stiffs
are down. neat trick

make tax cuts permanent now.

do not let all the dead in the American gulf -
killed by the terrorist Katrina - die for no reason

Honor their deaths!!

Repeal the Death Tax now!!!

Abomb-baby said:
Why didn't he just say Bush doesn't care about the south, or Bush doesn't care about NOLA? I can only assume since Bush doen't care about 68% of the black pop. in NOLA he also doesn't give a crap about the 32% of whites who live there either. Why does it always have to end up at the race issue in America?

i just had this exact conversation with someone this morning

the cards that are played by the administration

as dictated by rove, the soulless scumbag,
to manage marginal election victories

I thought I'd put in my '2 pennies worth' I'm sitting here in Scotland appalled by the lack of help these poor people in New Orleans appear to be getting.

From my perspective the majority are black, fact of life. There are two things which I cannot understand:

Why, when they knew the hurricane was going to hit New Orleans the authorities didn't do more to help people get out.......which they're doing now.

Why they are spending so much resource on stopping 'looting', a means to survive as I see it, rather than helping the people more positively.

I'm not saying things would be handled better here if the situation arose but hell your authorities, with so much money and forewarning, should be ashamed.

oby said:
I thought I'd put in my '2 pennies worth' I'm sitting here in Scotland appalled by the lack of help these poor people in New Orleans appear to be getting.

From my perspective the majority are black, fact of life. There are two things which I cannot understand:

Why, when they knew the hurricane was going to hit New Orleans the authorities didn't do more to help people get out.......which they're doing now.

Why they are spending so much resource on stopping 'looting',

Bush and Rove were speaking to their base.

the people who voted for bush are more likely to worry about crime

than people who are too poor to own a car

here is the early response for the President's base

US President George W. Bush vowed "zero tolerance" for looters and other profiteers from the devastation left by Hurricane Katrina and said he would send in more troops if necessary.

perhaps,

one can start to understand Kayne's concern
"And just to imagine if I was down there, those are my people down there. So anybody out there who wants to help with the set up, the way that America is set up to help … The poor, the black people, the less well off as slow as possible. I mean, Red Cross is doing everything they can.

"We already realize a lot of the people that could help are at war now fighting another way and they’ve given them permission to go down and shoot us."

deep said:
the cards that are played by the administration

as dictated by rove, the soulless scumbag,
to manage marginal election victories

yes.

whatever gains might have been made by the reuplicans amongst african-americans in 2004 has been washed away, so to speak.

the water has receeded to reveal the grotesque, racialized line between the haves and the have-nots in america.

by saying it has nothing to do with race is merely making those who have feel better than those who have-not, who know that while it's not race, itself, it is that access to good housing, safe streets, good schools, often has much to do with one's race.

these divisions are "raced" -- and this is much to do with the weight of history.

which has EVERYTHING to do with race in this country, especially in the South.

but, hey, if calling something "playing the race card" assuages your guilt, by all means bash those who's words make you uncomfortable.

Palace_Hero said:

:love:

I'm glad that my assumption many moons ago that Jamila is a nut job is being realised to an extent.

I think that we've all had our say on that matter now, lets leave it atleast until she comes back to spout off.

This is way out of line.

Way way out of line......

For this forum.....

I agree

and would add the following to all that pounced after her one reply

most of us
have made one reply or another

that may not have articulated our thoughts clearly
or were just not popularly received

so what,

i am probably guilty of being on both sides of this issue

but, I am trying harder not to pile on

Last edited:
Yeah, this seemed like a vendetta or something :sad:

I have only respect for Jamila´s well-articulated posts.

take it easy evryone.

sheesh. Are we still picking on Jamila? :huh:

I knew this thing would be deemed a race issue.
If San Francisco finally gets the "big one" and cracks in two Im sure we're going to be saying they arent getting help because of all the gays :wink:
What if it was a primarily white area? I think it would be getting the same amount of help honestly.

The city sounds fecked to me. They should just get the people out and bury the place. its going to cost so much to rebuild it they might as well just build it somewhere thats not filled with sewage :yuck:

I am still looking for the truth in what he said.

Not one soldier has shot anyone to my knowledge...

Yet...I have heard of a soldier who was shot with his own weapong trying to stop it from being stolen.

Has the operation been run correctly...Even Bush says NO! The President says we are not doing enough.

I am stunned that people take Kanye seriously.

Dreadsox said:
I am still looking for the truth in what he said.

Not one soldier has shot anyone to my knowledge...

Yet...I have heard of a soldier who was shot with his own weapong trying to stop it from being stolen.

Has the operation been run correctly...Even Bush says NO! The President says we are not doing enough.

I am stunned that people take Kanye seriously.

never said anyone was shot

"We already realize a lot of the people that could help are at war now fighting another way and
they’ve given them permission to go down and shoot us."

US President George W. Bush vowed "zero tolerance" for looters and other profiteers from the devastation left by Hurricane Katrina and said he would send in more troops if necessary.

it may depend how you look

and what you want to find

I'm hoping Jamila's comments were just the result of stress or a bad day or something because the posts I read from her in this thread are the last thing I would have ever expected from her. :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom