Holy Kanye! Anybody else see this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jamila, get off the cross; we need the wood. And yes, I am po'. I graduated from college last December with 50k in student loans to pay off and I still can't find a permanent job despite stringent job searching and networking. I lost out on a job to some two-bit bimbo who was let go just months after she got the job. If I had gotten the job, I would still be there because, unlike the bimbo, I'm a true professional. I just finished a week long temp job helping a company move to a new location even though the job is below my abilities because I'm desperate for the money. I live in a run-down apartment with some very dodgy fellow tenants. I don't have a car which limits my job options. I've delayed my trip to NYC because I can't afford to go there. And I'm getting to the point where I'm considering selling my plasma.

On-topic: Go Kanye!!!

Jamila....I am sorry you are having hard times. But after saying that...the people from new orleans that you are being so critical of dont have homes, food, water...they are dying. You...are on the internet....at a computer...so...uh... yeah.

BonosSaint said:

There is poverty and there is survival. First we help the people survive, then we work on the poverty.

:up:

Seriously, a lot these people didn't even have water or a place to use the bathroom for 4 days! Some still don't. There are people probably still stuck on their roofs.

Right now, we're not about financial aid. We're talking about the very basics - food and shelter.

People!

How about showing a little compassion? Everyone, both sides.

The situation in New Orleans is shocking and tragic and painful and terribly, terribly disturbing. It is bringing out the best and the worst in everyone. Perhaps it would be nice for a moment to be thankful for what you have and spare a thought for those who are doing their absolute best to help in a situation where they are under resourced, probably working insane hours and have to deal with experiences that none of us will ever have to.

When people who have nothing lose everything what does that equal? Less than zero.

I agree with Kanye. Racism and the disenfranchisement of our nation's poor black population is disgusting. As a white person, I have no problem admitting this, and I surely don't have a problem fingering it as a reason why things are happening the way they are.

Is it the only reason? Hell no. It was the goverment after all who cut funding to fortify the levee system in New Orleans so that it can withstand a Cat 5 storm. The levee system protects very impoverished sections of New Orleans. It's all a circle of doubt and frustration.

I've been to these poor sections of New Orleans. I've seen this with my own eyes. And you know, those scenes don't look all that different from the suffering in Africa, besides less desert and more urban wasteland. I would never begrudge the people who live there who are impoverished.

To say that these people will be back on their feet again in 4-5 years is redonkulous. These people have nothing. They've always had nothing. These aren't the people that swagger around cities too lazy to have a job b/c they'd rather sit on the front porch. This is true poverty. This is one of the worst kept secrets in America. Who says the goverment will build housing for each and everyone of these people anyway? I thought that was one of the biggest points - what will become of all these people who now call arenas in various cities their new home now for an unknown period of time?

This is about preventable suffering, and suffering that has been going on far too long.

Kinda like Africa. Hrmmm. Where you live should not decide/Whether you live or whether you die.

Jamila said:
Please do not judge too much.

You do not know how truly poor all these "po' folks" in N.O. were.

You also do not know me.

When's the last time you were downsized from a job and had to beg food from a pantry?

Until we walk a mile in someone else's shoes, we definitely have no reason to criticize.

I AM poor and have been desparately trying to better my situation in a local eceonomy which has sucked for years.

I am in much better a situation to talk about the plight of the poor than people who have never known poverty a day in their lives.

I live in Texas and our poverty down here is also well documented. So please do not tell me about the South - I live here.

I also know a lot of folks from N.O. or with friends from N.O. and their experiences with the "poor and downtrodden" people there are much different than the saintly picture of these folks which is being portrayed in the media.

Listen - you have your viewpoint and I have mine.

But I think that's it's very judgmental and unfair for you or anyone else to dismiss the viewpoint of a person caught in poverty.

You say you care about the poor but you bash the opinions of one.

Hypocritical at best.

Now, please excuse me - I have to go make your sandwiches today at Subway while y'all sit around and bash my American right to voice my opinions.:tsk:

You are unbelievable. You have a job, you have clean water and a place to take a shower. You have a roof over your head and a computer with internet access.

Those people sleeping on the ground next to the bloated dead bodies in New Orleans can only hope to be a "po" as you someday.

And for the record, I know something about being poor as well. I grew up in roach infested motels and ate handouts from churches too. When we did have an apartment, we had to use candles for light because we didn't have electricity half the time. We used an ice chest for a refrigerator. I was clothed courtesy of Goodwill.

So please excuse me while I go make a donation to the Red Cross. And keep wishing hard enough...maybe a natural disaster will destroy what little you have someday and you can get the assistance you deserve.

And please, no one is stopping you giving your opinion. Just don't expect those who have an opposing view to hold back when they disagree.

Jamila said:
Please do not judge too much.

You do not know how truly poor all these "po' folks" in N.O. were.

You also do not know me.

When's the last time you were downsized from a job and had to beg food from a pantry?

Until we walk a mile in someone else's shoes, we definitely have no reason to criticize.

I AM poor and have been desparately trying to better my situation in a local eceonomy which has sucked for years.

I am in much better a situation to talk about the plight of the poor than people who have never known poverty a day in their lives.

I live in Texas and our poverty down here is also well documented. So please do not tell me about the South - I live here.

I also know a lot of folks from N.O. or with friends from N.O. and their experiences with the "poor and downtrodden" people there are much different than the saintly picture of these folks which is being portrayed in the media.

Listen - you have your viewpoint and I have mine.

But I think that's it's very judgmental and unfair for you or anyone else to dismiss the viewpoint of a person caught in poverty.

You say you care about the poor but you bash the opinions of one.

Hypocritical at best.

Now, please excuse me - I have to go make your sandwiches today at Subway while y'all sit around and bash my American right to voice my opinions.:tsk:

Yeah you're really poor Jamila. You were at 2-3 of the same U2 concerts I was at in Chicago. You live in Texas. Did you walk to Chicago? Sleep on the street while you were there? You also were showing off your Edun t shirt that you just bought. I can't imagine any poor person being able to afford a pricey brand name label.

These people lost everything they have but their lives and you're talking about the Subway job you have? At least you have a roof over your head and all of your belongings and clean clothes to wear and a clean bathroom. They have NOTHING. It doesn't matter if they are rich or poor there are thousands and thousands of people that are homeless and out of work and have had their lives completely disrupted by what happened last week and all you can think of is yourself and how poor you are. Nice. If you're so poor maybe you should sell any remianing U2 concert tickets you have for the tour to save so you don't have to rely on the government for help. Or maybe you should donate that money to the victims that really need the help.

arw9797 said:

Yeah you're really poor Jamila. You were at 2-3 of the same U2 concerts I was at in Chicago. You live in Texas. Did you walk to Chicago? Sleep on the street while you were there? You also were showing off your Edun t shirt that you just bought. I can't imagine any poor person being able to afford a pricey brand name label.

:up::up::up::up:

I am so confused by Jamila's posts......for months she's been posting about how she bought EDUN clothes (which are like $65-$400 a PIECE) and how everyone else should do the same and how it's totally worth it, bla bla bla and now THAT shit? If you're so poor, why are you trying to get tickets to Portland so you can fly there and see yet another concert? You have the internet right? And you went to U2 concerts in Chicago and I saw you were wearing nice clothes. WTF?

I'm not trying to be judgemental or bash you, but seriously, I'd like to know why your message has suddenly took a 180-turn for the worst....

Jamila said:
I didn't even bother to watch the darn thing....

I'm tto poor to help those other poor folks anyway.

The ironic thing is that in 4-5 years, those "poor" folks from N.O. will be on their feet in homes again, while the rest of us po' folks who haven't gone through a disaster WILL STILL BE POOR!

Is that fair to us?

:tsk:

How did you afford paying to be a "Premium" here?.....unbelievable. :down:

arw9797 said:

These people lost everything they have but their lives and you're talking about the Subway job you have? At least you have a roof over your head and all of your belongings and clean clothes to wear and a clean bathroom. They have NOTHING. It doesn't matter if they are rich or poor there are thousands and thousands of people that are homeless and out of work and have had their lives completely disrupted by what happened last week and all you can think of is yourself and how poor you are. Nice. If you're so poor maybe you should sell any remianing U2 concert tickets you have for the tour to save so you don't have to rely on the government for help. Or maybe you should donate that money to the victims that really need the help.

Absolutely brilliant!!!

Last night I was talking to my friend, Julie, and we were talking about Katrina. Both Julie and I have had a difficult 2005. She runs her own chiropractic wellness business that has faced some serious problems. I'm struggling to find a job and let's not forget that I was mugged earlier this year. Yet, we both agree that we live like queens compared to the people who are barely surviving down south. We have roofs over our heads, easy access to food and water, and closets filled with clothes. Yea, I can bitch about not seeing U2 on this tour, but it's nothing compared to a mother down in NO whose baby is living in a week old diaper and whose other children are dehydrated and scared.

ok, so Jamila probably gets the point.

So yeah, anyway...Kanye.

I would love to hear what Mike Meyers said after the camera shut off. He just seemed so baffled by the whole situation.

I've got to say, I think what Kanye did was really inappropriate. It's not like he was desperate to blurt out this secret message of truth that he had discovered. People have been saying the same things he said on t.v. and in print. I just think he should have stuck to raising money for the people in need.

As for what he said, I just disagree. I don't know what is realistic to expect in this situation. I don't konw how hard it is to get the massive kind of relief supplies necessary into a destroyed area like that. But it sounds like things really have not happened as fast as they should. Am I guessing at least some of that has to do with that fact that these are poor people suffering (yes, I know we all have different definitions of "po", but work with me here). The horrible thing is that people are just more "ok" with poor people suffering than with rich people suffering. If things didn't happen as quickly as they should have, my guess is that they would have been right on time if these were rich people that were stranded and dying. I see this as a class/wealth thing, not a race thing. Maybe I'm wrong. But either way, I think it's ridiculous to get on tv and imply that the national guard has been waiting for this opportunity to shoot black people, or that George Bush doesn't care if people of a certain skin color live or die.

am i way off?

i missed it but i saw it on the news this morning. i couldn't believe my ears when i heard him say that. he was overly emotional and just speaking from his heart and what he believes is true for him.

my poor ass was at disneyland. :reject:

Kanye's breathtakingly arrogant, but he's rather brilliant.

all's y'alls: go download "Hey Mama" or "Diamonds From Sierra Leone."

genius, both in form and in content.

Hmm, I want to know where all the Big name Black Sports and entertainment celebrities are. Will they be giving huge cash donations to these communities they so proudly hail as where they grew up? Venus Williams pledging $100 an Ace to hurricane relief? Thats embarrassing!!! How about $1000 or even $10000 an Ace, Venus? I have donated money and will donate more. I will also be donating my time and energy in my job. How many black artists/ sports people will be doing the same? Put your money where your mouth is, Kanye.

Abomb-baby said:
Hmm, I want to know where all the Big name Black Sports and entertainment celebrities are. Will they be giving huge cash donations to these communities they so proudly hail as where they grew up? Venus Williams pledging $100 an Ace to hurricane relief? Thats embarrassing!!! How about $1000 or even $10000 an Ace, Venus? I have donated money and will donate more. I will also be donating my time and energy in my job. How many black artists/ sports people will be doing the same? Put your money where your mouth is, Kanye.

Did you hear his rant? He is apparently organising a dontation, and admitted his failure to help out quicker.

melon said:

Wasn't that the purpose of his performance at the live telethon? :wink:

Melon

No, it appears he was more interested in drawing attention to himself than to efforts to raise money, melon. He took away from the spirit of the relief effort and probably alienated half of the country with his idiotic comments.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
NOTHING LIKE LIVE TV!!!!!!!!! Does anyone else think he just blew his chance to open for U2 on the tour...i sure hope so!

did you watch the video?

if you watch the vid
it is sincere, and heartfelt,

or are you just responding to hysterical right- leaning Drudge / Fox News reporting

spinners and liars

here is a complete? transcript

Kanye West at the NBC Concert for Hurricane Katrina Relief

Fuller transcript from Tracy and Eric: Kanye West at the NBC Concert for Hurricane Katrina Relief:

Mike Meyers reads off prompter … switches to black singer, Kanye West:

"I hate the way they portray us in the media.

"If you see a black family it says they are looting if you see a white family it says they are looking for food.

"And you know that it’s been 5 days because most of the people are black and even for me to complain …
I would be a hypocrite because I would turn away from the TV because it’s too hard to watch. I’ve even been shopping before giving a donation and so right now I’m calling my business manager what is the biggest amount I can give.

"And just to imagine if I was down there, those are my people down there. So anybody out there who wants to help with the set up, the way that America is set up to help … The poor, the black people, the less well off as slow as possible. I mean, Red Cross is doing everything they can.

"We already realize a lot of the people that could help are at war now fighting another way and they’ve given them permission to go down and shoot us."

(Mike Meyers tries to get back on prompter, reads from script and then camera cuts back to Kanye. He pauses before

Kanye West: "George Bush doesn’t care about black people."

Then camera abruptly switches to another black actor

So the distorted HEADLINES could just as easily have read:

Kanye West a hypocrite
Shopping before giving a donation

Why the fuck is what's happening in New Orleans any different than what is going on in Africa?! Both are situations that deserve compassion and action. I simply can't believe I've seen someone who supposedly espouts all these ideals to 'be the change in the world' so easily fold without having a Bono quote to hide behind.

In response to Kayne, I think there is definetly some grain of truth behind what was said. I'm not saying everything he said was spot on, but the man was visibily moved and emotionally charged about the situation which is more than I can say for some.

starsgoblue said:
Why the fuck is what's happening in New Orleans any different than what is going on in Africa?! Both are situations that deserve compassion and action. I simply can't believe I've seen someone who supposedly espouts all these ideals to 'be the change in the world' so easily fold without having a Bono quote to hide behind.

:love:

I'm glad that my assumption many moons ago that Jamila is a nut job is being realised to an extent.

I think that we've all had our say on that matter now, lets leave it atleast until she comes back to spout off.

Abomb-baby said:
No, it appears he was more interested in drawing attention to himself than to efforts to raise money, melon. He took away from the spirit of the relief effort and probably alienated half of the country with his idiotic comments.

Hardly. I really doubt people did not donate, because of him. Maybe a small minority didn't donate to NBC, but I'm sure the easily offended probably wouldn't trust a television network anyway and probably donated to one of the myriad of other options out there--secular and faith-based alike.

Melon

My point was that there is a time and place for all things. That wasn't it. You don't alienate people who you are trying to get to open up there wallets. Does anyone understand that? Joe suburbia may have turned on the TV looking at a way to contribute and saw this Rant about blacks Vs. Whites or maybe he voted for Bush and thought, "what the hell!!?" and changed the channel to ESPN or something. It wasn't the time. Nor is the time to start politicizing htis mess. Lets get these people some help and worry about pointing fingers later. And another thing, there are a hell of a lot of poor whites in the south also.

Abomb-baby said:
Hmm, I want to know where all the Big name Black Sports and entertainment celebrities are. Will they be giving huge cash donations to these communities they so proudly hail as where they grew up? How many black artists/ sports people will be doing the same? Put your money where your mouth is, Kanye.

Not all celebrities publicize their donations. Some feel the need to to set an example, some choose to bring attention to themselves and some choose to give privately. Let's not assume that just because we don't know how much Russell Simmons and Jay-Z are donating, that they are not donating.

Back
Top Bottom