Holy Kanye! Anybody else see this? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2005, 04:17 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:06 PM
I am so sick of the hate....

Old 09-03-2005, 04:39 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:06 PM
I didn't even bother to watch the darn thing....

I'm tto poor to help those other poor folks anyway.

The ironic thing is that in 4-5 years, those "poor" folks from N.O. will be on their feet in homes again, while the rest of us po' folks who haven't gone through a disaster WILL STILL BE POOR!

Is that fair to us?

Old 09-03-2005, 05:38 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

What are you talking about?

Fair to us? This is a natural disaster. These people were poor to start...people are trying to restore basic human needs right now (shelter and food)...something you obviously have (as well as internet to post more than 2500 posts here in the past year +). If you have that time on your hands, you can probably make a better life for yourself too.

The poverty in New Orleans (and all over Ms. La. Al. Ak.) is well documented. The aid that will be provided will not drag these people of the poverty they were in...just restore basic human needs. There will still be a lot of corruption there.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:50 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
I didn't even bother to watch the darn thing....

I'm tto poor to help those other poor folks anyway.

The ironic thing is that in 4-5 years, those "poor" folks from N.O. will be on their feet in homes again, while the rest of us po' folks who haven't gone through a disaster WILL STILL BE POOR!

Is that fair to us?

Oh my god. Wtf?

As long as you have a will, there's always a way to change your lot in life.

Maybe take a break from helping Bono and help yourself.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:59 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:06 PM
Are we misunderstanding your post, Jamila?
Old 09-03-2005, 06:01 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Please do not judge too much.

You do not know how truly poor all these "po' folks" in N.O. were.

You also do not know me.

When's the last time you were downsized from a job and had to beg food from a pantry?

Until we walk a mile in someone else's shoes, we definitely have no reason to criticize.

I AM poor and have been desparately trying to better my situation in a local eceonomy which has sucked for years.

I am in much better a situation to talk about the plight of the poor than people who have never known poverty a day in their lives.

I live in Texas and our poverty down here is also well documented. So please do not tell me about the South - I live here.

I also know a lot of folks from N.O. or with friends from N.O. and their experiences with the "poor and downtrodden" people there are much different than the saintly picture of these folks which is being portrayed in the media.

Listen - you have your viewpoint and I have mine.

But I think that's it's very judgmental and unfair for you or anyone else to dismiss the viewpoint of a person caught in poverty.

You say you care about the poor but you bash the opinions of one.

Hypocritical at best.

Now, please excuse me - I have to go make your sandwiches today at Subway while y'all sit around and bash my American right to voice my opinions.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:09 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Your point is taken, Jamila. But right now, people are dying for whatever reason. That is unacceptable--as it is in Africa--if we can stop it.

There is poverty and there is survival. First we help the people survive, then we work on the poverty.

But I agree with you. Poverty won't be a priority when all of this is over either.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:30 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I can't judge his motivations, I don't know him. I do know he likes to speak his mind and has a reputation for being arrogant, that's just his reputation, who knows? I think he has a right to be angry though, I've never been a member of the racial minority in this country so I have no idea what it's like. To say that George Bush doesn't care about black people though..well that's extreme. I have to give Bush the benefit of the doubt on that one

It's just depressing on top of what is so depressing about the hurricane already because this points out the racial divide and problems that still exist in this country, we can't ignore those.

This blog is, well interesting..and the comments as well

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randal...ns_b_6643.html

I like this comment

This fish stinks from the head down.

I can't say the President is a racist.
I can't say the President doesn't care about humanity.
I CAN say he's manifestly and dangerously disconnected from the frailty of the human condition (much of Congress is, too).

The disconnection is both intellectual and emotional. He's always had access to a family fortune, so he can't fathom the notion of a dire personal crisis for which he is unable to immediatly spend his way to, at the very least, a short-term solution. If an individual crisis is so "out of the box" for him, how can he possibly comprehend the physical and emotional toll of 100,000 such crises happening all in one place and one time?

This failing doesn't make the President a bad person. These failings do not make like-raised members of Congress bad people. These failings do make them underqualified to hold their offices. Remember this in 2006 & 2008.

now that's always one way to take some positive action, in the voting booth. Obviously that doesn't help right now, but maybe at some point in the future..
Old 09-03-2005, 06:47 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

When's the last time you were downsized from a job and had to beg food from a pantry?

I was downsized in March 2002. Prior to that I was laid off in 1999. I struggled. But I realized what I had to do to live...and I would NEVER...NEVER pull this "whoa is me" crap. I fought to where I am now, and am still paying for the down times. But I have taken personal responsibility. I have set a new course, realizing that the other one wasn't working. I have moved my way up into a better spot. ME. I did not look for handouts. And if this happens again...I will do the same.

You will not hear me complain that MY situation sucks...I deal with it and try to improve.

Again, you mention Austin, Texas. This is an OUTSTANDING area of opportunity. If it isn't for you, maybe you need to move.

Quote:

Hypocritical at best.

Yes...you are. You are bashing the "poor" in New Orleans...saying THEY are not worthy.

How can you not see YOUR hypocritical ways?
Old 09-03-2005, 07:09 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

You also do not know me.

Until we walk a mile in someone else's shoes, we definitely have no reason to criticize.

I AM poor and have been desparately trying to better my situation in a local eceonomy which has sucked for years.

I am in much better a situation to talk about the plight of the poor than people who have never known poverty a day in their lives.

I live in Texas and our poverty down here is also well documented. So please do not tell me about the South - I live here.

I also know a lot of folks from N.O. or with friends from N.O. and their experiences with the "poor and downtrodden" people there are much different than the saintly picture of these folks which is being portrayed in the media.

But I think that's it's very judgmental and unfair for you or anyone else to dismiss the viewpoint of a person caught in poverty.

Hypocritical at best.

Now, please excuse me - I have to go make your sandwiches today at Subway while y'all sit around and bash my American right to voice my opinions.

I was laid off in December 2001 and was out of work for a YEAR. I came *this* close to having it happen again just this week. So, before you think we have no idea what it's like, don't assume.

You also said we were being "hypocritical", when it's plainly obvious you're being the same way yourself. Here you are, with a job and internet access, yet those people in NOLA have nothing but the clothes off their backs, and if they're lucky, their loved ones, and all you can do is bitch that no one's been giving your "po' ass" assistance.

I think at this moment in time we all should be counting our blessings instead of bashing these people, however "small" those blessings may be. It's so wrong I can't even stand it. I'm truly disgusted.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:32 AM   #26
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Quote:

You also do not know me.

Hypocritical at best.

Perhaps you should get off YOUR COMPUTER SOMEONE (you?) PAID FOR HOOKED UP TO AN ISP WHICH SOMEONE (you?) IS PAYING FOR AND STOP COMPLAINING.

I was made redundant 4 months ago.

No one is criticising the poor.

No one is bashing your right to voice your opinions.

This is the single most weird behaviour I've seen from an Interference member, ever. So unexpected. Surely you should be waxing lyrical about how the goodness of our saviour Bono will bring salvation to the poor people affected by the tusnami.. erm sorry hurricane?

~*~ Everywhere you go you shout it We're one but we're not the same ~*~
Old 09-03-2005, 07:43 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

palace hero...you summed up my thoughts in your last statement.
Seriously. This mass disaster is not just an insurance break for the people that had to abandon their city.
Regardless of whether or not they "deserve" to start a new life, what do any of us really deserve?
It certainly is a lot less than I have in my case.

I remember having to give up my lunch money and sneak it back into my dads wallet when I was younger just so my parents could afford to pay the minimum on the credit cards. Poverty isnt confined to certain areas.
But I suppose that the poverty in Africa is more deserving of our attention because Bono cares about it
Old 09-03-2005, 07:49 AM   #28
Refugee

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Thanks U2BG.

Honestly I think Jamila having a go because these people will be getting assistance is sheer lunacy and to be honest, jealousy.

Hey, perhaps we should all prey that Jamila will recieve a natural disaster so people will help her out? Poverty is sad throughout the world and I for one am very much into keeping everything in perspective. I give as much gravitas to 9/11 as I would the killings in Ethiopia (for example). Admittedly that is little of a focus, but I atleast don't care about each disaster equally. However to resent the unfortunate in this incident because they are getting attention sounds like a petulant child whinging and crying for their parents affection, all because their sibling has cut their knee and is having it kissed better.

Jog on Jamila.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:57 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Old 09-03-2005, 08:05 AM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy
Care to add anything constructive?