Holy Kanye! Anybody else see this? - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 PM
Quote:
"Actually, I do not think that (white people) are allowed to use slang until it is at least a year old. If you say a slang word too early, it's like you're trying to be black. So as long as the slang is a little played out, you're all good."
I can't use certain slang terms until they are too old??? Kanye West doesn't care about white people.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #212
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
I look forward to hearing more of his insightful views in the future.

shall we go dig up some of Bono's quotes when he was in his mid-20s?

whatever ... Kanye is musically brilliant, i can't get enough of either of his albums, they actually thrill me with the social and political possibilities of hip-hop when you can take a sample of "diamonds are forever" and use it to link the bling on a woman's finger back to the diamond trade in Sierra Leone ... so many artistic possibilities ...

but, in any event, i wouldn't take Kanye's quote at much more than face value.

but, at the same time, he is 100% correct that the media plunders and appropriates black street slang in order to appear to have "edge" and to chase after that elusive notion of "credibility."

Old 09-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
but, at the same time, he is 100% correct that the media plunders and appropriates black street slang in order to appear to have "edge" and to chase after that elusive notion of "credibility."
I didn´t know one could plunder black street slang.

Me homies waaay sensi-ble when it come to dem motherfuckin´ mothertongue.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #214
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

I didn´t know one could plunder black street slang.

Me homies waaay sensi-ble when it come to dem motherfuckin´ mothertongue.

now, now, you've totally got it wrong.

that's West Indian Londonese (or perhaps just Ali G-eese ) you're speaking, not African-American, which varies literally from city to city.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #215
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

now, now, you've totally got it wrong.

that's West Indian Londonese (or perhaps just Ali G-eese ) you're speaking, not African-American, which varies literally from city to city.
I know.. "West Indian Londonese" haha

This is where hiphop´s Jamaican roots come in, see

However, motherfuckin refers to east side LA - West Indians would say battyboy patois instead
Old 09-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #216
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

yo Diamond!

deal but also this is irrelevant compared to the tragedy and the questions that American citizens naturally ask.
1.its free speech,

1A)Yes and free speech doesn't include slandering a person w/o having somebody defend them as well.
thats how people express their opinion.

See 1A.

2.the background is that Bush is the leader of your country, and poor people waited for four days. poor in this region means mainly Afro-American, so there you go, that´s the background.

2A) The fact that ppl waited for too many days is correct. 1 day is long enough. The other fact is NO/Louisana wasn't prepared, The Mayor /Govenor didn't evvacuate ppl..because nobody thought the levees would break.
This doesnt make GW a racist, or give anybody the right to label him one.

3.while this tragedy happens people from the same think tank like Bush (neo-liberal, conservative, so-called "Christians") go around sayin duh this is because those ppl were so sinful and NO a city of sin had to go under biblical blah-blah with a racist background.
3A) People who believe in Christ's teachings in their heart and soul that I know don't hold these sediments.
I feel sorry for those that do.
I think all of us should take this tact everyday esp in a time of tragedy:

Matt 6:3
But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth

4.so whether you get this in your head or not, the connection, while it may be inappropriate,

4A)
Kayne seems to be dealing from anger, fear.
I sense his aggravation.

Dealing from these attributes will only impede any progress for healing us and helping us become One.

love ya brother,

db9
Old 09-12-2005, 03:16 PM   #217
Blue Crack Addict

diamond, do you think Rosa Parks was angry when she refused to sit in the back of that bus? Was Dr. King angry about injustice? (before anyone says otherwise certainly I am not comparing these two great people to Kanye West in any way, shape, or form)

great things and progress can result from anger
Old 09-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #218
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...arity%20single

"He raps, "Mr President, about that cash/Policy for handling the ni**as and trash/You better off on crack, dead or in jail, or with a gun in Iraq."

The rapper also blasts rocker and humanitarian BONO, who he accuses of turning his back on the Hurricane Katrina tragedy after spending so much time and effort fighting poverty and erasing Third World debt.

He raps, "It's enough to make you holler out/Like where the f**k is Sir Bono and his famous friends now?/Don't get it twisted, man, I dig U2/But if you ain't about the ghetto, than f**k you too/Who cares about rock and roll when babies can't eat food"
Old 09-12-2005, 05:42 PM   #219
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
[url]He raps, "It's enough to make you holler out/Like where the f**k is Sir Bono and his famous friends now?/Don't get it twisted, man, I dig U2/But if you ain't about the ghetto, than f**k you too/Who cares about rock and roll when babies can't eat food"

i might not agree (Bono not being an American, i don't see how the ghettos of America are really his main concern ... but then again, he's not African either) but i appreciate the honesty and conviction and anger.

this is so far from most mainstream popular music that we should be applauding those who rap about more than women who got dumps like a truck.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #220
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
diamond, do you think Rosa Parks was angry when she refused to sit in the back of that bus? Was Dr. King angry about injustice? (before anyone says otherwise certainly I am not comparing these two great people to Kanye West in any way, shape, or form)

great things and progress can result from anger
i think rosa and dr king had a different tone than kayne and it served the cause much much better.

kayne is more like macolm x's..and i will take dr king's approach over malcom x's.

db9
Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 PM
Condoleezza Rice says in interview set for Tuesday Katrina 'gives us an opportunity' to rectify historic injustices that she personally experienced as an African American growing up in the South. 'When it's rebuilt, it should be rebuilt in a different way than it was at the time that this happened' ... there could be an effort to 'deal with the problem of persistent poverty'..
Old 09-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #222
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

i think rosa and dr king had a different tone than kayne and it served the cause much much better.

kayne is more like macolm x's..and i will take dr king's approach over malcom x's.

db9

you should read up on your history.

as i posted much earlier in the thread, Rosa Parks knew *exactly* what she was doing. her feet weren't tired; she was instigating a confrontation.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #223
ONE
love, blood, life

in the end she was dignified and peaceful, unlike Kayne.

db9
Old 09-13-2005, 01:55 AM   #224
ONE
love, blood, life

There were no white people who were poor in NO?

Poverty knows no color in that region....

And to insinuate that America has done nothing because the poor in the area were all black is wrong....
Old 09-13-2005, 06:47 AM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

db9
Love you too brotha,

but I suppose you never read the speeches of MLK or Malcolm X?

Contrary to what many Americans seem to believe nowadays, Dr. King was a very angry man. He didn´t adovocate violence, but he wasn´t a brave Uncle Tom begging for the end of racism. He could get very angry. Malcolm X (who I also respect by the way) advocated change, and if violence was necessary, right. That´s something Kayne hasn´t done.