Holding Reality TV Accountable? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2005, 01:29 PM   #16
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:17 PM

Screw the debate on reality TV in this case...I think people are just lawsuit happy. They always want someone to point the blame at. $1 million won't bring her sister back.
Besides, I highly doubt you can blame the show for her suicide. There were obviously heavier underlying issues that drove her to such an act. I also think that placing blame on another person (or persons) for somebody committing suicide is absolutely cruel. Aside from some extreme situation, nobody should ever have the finger pointed at them for driving someone to suicide. That's just wrong

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Besides, I highly doubt you can blame the show for her suicide. There were obviously heavier underlying issues that drove her to such an act. I also think that placing blame on another person (or persons) for somebody committing suicide is absolutely cruel. Aside from some extreme situation, nobody should ever have the finger pointed at them for driving someone to suicide. That's just wrong
Yes that is all very true, but you just wonder if that was the final straw so to speak. There would have/could have been another final straw of course

I agree w/ everything you said though

Old 09-20-2005, 02:19 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Suicide is much more an act of anger, revenge or control than it is an act of despair.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:04 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor

Fat ass americans.....

the average size female in the US is a size 12
average modle is 2
I know a girl who is a size 0

well,

maybe we can get that size 12 on
"extreem makeover" and lypo her down to a size 6 or 8

or if she can go up to a 16-18 we could get her on: "the biggest loser"

the size 0 sounds perfect fot:
"America's next Top Model"

perhaps the family that had the suicide can get their Home Madeover. do they have any crippled children?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:17 PM
here's some more info..apparently her sister may have had bipolar disorder

Williams said she returned to Texas devastated. Four months later, her sister killed herself.

"She knew that they could drop her at anytime, but she didn't believe they would," Williams' Houston-based lawyer, Wesley Cordova, said Tuesday.

The lawsuit said McGee suffered from bipolar disorder, but Cordova said the show drove Williams' sister to kill herself.

Williams is suing ABC and its parent company, The Walt Disney Co., for alleged breach of contract, willful infliction of emotional distress and negligence.

"The most tragic part is that Deleese is now too ashamed to even go out in public," Cordova said.

ABC said Tuesday that all participants know in advance that their makeover may not happen.

"The ABC Television Network wishes to express its sincere condolences to Deleese Williams and her family for the loss of Kellie McGee," the company said in a statement.

"In regards to `Extreme Makeover,' all participants are made aware that if doctors or producers have any concerns about a procedure, the makeover will not go forward. ... The producers endeavor to handle each potential makeover participant with the utmost care."

Williams said she applied to "Extreme Makeover" in December 2003 and was selected to meet with producers in Los Angeles.

There, Williams was videotaped recounting the ridicule she suffered as a child and her years in an abusive marriage to an ex-husband. Her lawsuit alleges that her husband and sisters were also interviewed and encouraged to make disparaging comments about her looks.

Last month, five orphaned siblings who appeared on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" also sued ABC, accusing the network of fraud and breach of contract. The siblings said the family that took them in after their parents died later drove them out of the nine-bedroom mansion that was built for them. ABC and the family have declined to comment on that lawsuit.