Hmm, transgender thread or bisexual? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
oh wait, no..I'm wrong. the homosexual thread was closed because of some awful comments. again, my mistake...big mistake.
well, there should be a appreciation thread. I can only speak for myself, but I appreciate the diversity in society. I have learned so much this quarter in my LGBT class about myself, society, and my role in society. I thought I was progressive before I took the course because I supported gay marriage/rights.
Really, the danger of prejudice is that today it's appearance can be so subtle. I've learned to face a lot of the inner-prejudices I hadn't realized I still fostered. Having a pastor as your father, thus constantly hearing homophobic messages, has had a deep impact on me.
I think it's important for us all to constantly re-evaluate our thoughts about others. As I admitted earlier, I struggle with transgender issues. It angers me that I struggle - why can't I just geniunely accept everyone?
Hopefully my comments/confessions are not seen as offensive.
I'm just being openly critical of myself.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #17
Local Time: 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Irvine511

thanks for the affirmation...i really appreciate it

great post MrsSpringsteen with the Paula Zahn story. you're right, the word "bizarre" is upsetting.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #18
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 10:31 PM
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
I actually found Feinberg's novel to be deceptively deep. On the surface she seems to be trying to just put the reader into the shoes of an individual who doesn't fit in our heteronormative society. Beneath that though, her book is actually an argument about what the "queer family" should be. I just wrote a paper on this actually - that doesn't make me an expert though, I realize this - and I think she is arguing that the "queer family" should deconstruct our emphasis on individuality, challenge heteronormativity, and embrace diversity. The differences between members in the "queer family" can actually serve as the glue that binds. I am reminded of the lyrics in the song One: We're one, but we're not the same, we get carry each other.
That is a great point, although I'm not sure I fully understand how this deconstructs individuality--it sounds, at least on the surface, more like a strong reaffirmation of it. Could you expand on that a little?

I did find that book, and several of the others I mentioned, to have some thought-provoking insights about the possibilities opened up for human relationships by surmounting heteronormativity/binary thinking. In retrospect, I probably came across in my first post like a textbook academic elitist, reducing identity issues to an intellectual discussion. Unfortunately, the reality is I haven't yet had the opportunity to know a transgender person well, so I must rely on written material for whatever understanding I can achieve. And 20+ years of academic training have eroded a lot of my patience for literature that doesn't meet the rhetorical, discursive and analytical standards I've had to internalize for my own writing.

I can really relate to much of what you say about the impact of upbringing on these kinds of perceptions as I was raised in an Orthodox Jewish community myself--not exactly a gay-friendly world, as you can imagine. And reconsidering those issues specifically was a very big part of why I no longer belong to such a community, even though I remain very observant. However, the fact is many of these attitudes pervade mainstream secular society just as thoroughly--so the process, as you say, remains largely an internal struggle, because there aren't many external footholds available from which to consider an alternative social and cultural worldview.