HIV-positive , should I use a condom with girlfriend??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:06 PM
HIV-positive , should I use a condom with girlfriend???

One priest told him no, and the other said it was a question of conscience.

Quote:

Vatican newspaper condemns ‘shameful’ expose of fake confessions

By John Thavis
1/30/2007
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) – The Vatican newspaper denounced an Italian journalist who posed as a penitent and confessed fake sins in order to write an expose on the sacrament of reconciliation.

"Fake confessions in search of a shameful scoop," the newspaper, L’Osservatore Romano, headlined a commentary condemning the cover story of L'Espresso magazine, one of the country's leading weeklies.

"Shame! There is no other word to express our distress toward an operation that was disgusting, worthless, disrespectful and particularly offensive," the newspaper said.

The commentary said the article had exploited the good faith of confessors and offended the religious sentiments of millions of people.

"It was a sacrilege, because it violated the sacred space in which a self-recognized sinner asks intimately to receive God's merciful love," it said.

The reporter made his false confessions to 24 different priests in five Italian cities, including Rome. The magazine said the idea was to see how priests handle difficult pastoral situations and whether they followed the strict norms laid out by church teaching.

The reporter, for example, told two priests he was HIV-positive and wondered whether he should use a condom when having sexual relations with his girlfriend. One told him no, and the other said it was a question of conscience, the magazine reported.

More than once, the magazine said, priests gave quite different advice on his supposed "sins," which included matters relating to homosexuality, divorce, stem-cell research, euthanasia and prostitution.

One issue that found unanimous condemnation by confessors was abortion, the magazine said.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 06:06 PM
I think it's rather awful advice, but I also think it's rather awful that the journalist went into confessionals, which is considered a sacred sacrement, and made shit up so he could write a story.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:06 PM
i agree with both statement
to certain degrees

What if it was a school teacher or councilor, giving the same advice?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:06 PM
The journalist disgusts me. I like or did when I was a practicing Catholic that there were more liberal priests. Some diversity in the priesthood is a good thing.

So the journalist was looking for animatronic priests who all quoted Vatican doctrine word for word...
Old 01-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
i agree with both statement
to certain degrees

What if it was a school teacher or councilor, giving the same advice?
If a teacher or a councilor was giving out advice like that in a public school, they should be fired. It it were a private school, I feel they should be fired, but legally they can say what they believe. The priests that the reporter went after are guilty of giving shit advice, but they have every right to give it, it is their belief.

And doesn't everyone know the Catholic churches position on contraception? And pre-marital sex? This guy was just digging for a "shocking" story.

And they one who said it was a question of conscience, I think that's preist speak for, "I can't tell you 'yes', but I hope you're not so goddamn stupid that you can't figure it out yourself."
Old 01-31-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
I think it's rather awful advice, but I also think it's rather awful that the journalist went into confessionals, which is considered a sacred sacrement, and made shit up so he could write a story.
I agree on both counts

And there certainly are more "liberal" priests who would give different advice- but it's a better story, and easier, to act as if there aren't. Doesn't make what the other priests said right, I don't agree with that and don't defend it.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:06 PM
As a practicing Catholic it upsets me that someone would do that with the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I think the first priest gave bad advice. I would tell anyone who's HIV positive to use a condom when having sex.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'd say don't have sex. Why chance it ? I
Old 01-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
That's right. A condom wouldn't be safe enough either.
Don't risk it ever.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 12:06 AM
1. That this reporter made up fake confessions in order to obtain a story is just part of investigative journalism. Without this type of activity/behaviour, no scandles would ever be exposed.

2. That "One priest told him no, and the other said it was a question of conscience" is NOT newsworthy. Two people had conflicting views/responses - so fucking what. It should never have been published.

3. The vatican newspaper ought to have really ignored this trash.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder what the reporter would have said if a priest said "don't have sex"? Spin it to fit your slant or say that is good advice for someone who is HIV positive?

I'm sure there are many people who are HIV positive who do have sex, I don't know enough about it to say what and what number of precautions would be necessary to be the most effective. I have ideas based upon what I do know. Obviously abstinence would be the only guarantee.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U

so an HIV positive person should be celibate for the rest of his/her life? are they allowed to have sex with other HIV positive people?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I just assumed we were talking about sex with someone who wasn't HIV positive, only because it wouldn't be an issue for two positive people.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

That's right. A condom wouldn't be safe enough either.
Don't risk it ever.

this is demonstrably untrue and it's statements like this that lead to HIV-phobic attitudes that lead many to conceal their HIV status.

a condom, properly used, WILL protect you from transmission of the HIV virus, especially when used in conjunction with pre-ejaculative withdrawal.

i know HIV positive people who have never once infected another person, yet they maintain active and healthy sex lives. to further stigmatize such people is to induce unhealthy, secrative behavior that may actually lead to unsafe sex.

treat everybody -- until you're in a loving, monogamous relationship -- as if they are potentially HIV positive and use a condom, every single time; and if someone likes and respects you enough to reveal to you that they are HIV positive, don't punish them for it.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this is demonstrably untrue and it's statements like this that lead to HIV-phobic attitudes that lead many to conceal their HIV status.

a condom, properly used, WILL protect you from transmission of the HIV virus, especially when used in conjunction with pre-ejaculative withdrawal.

i know HIV positive people who have never once infected another person, yet they maintain active and healthy sex lives. to further stigmatize such people is to induce unhealthy, secrative behavior that may actually lead to unsafe sex.

treat everybody -- until you're in a loving, monogamous relationship -- as if they are potentially HIV positive and use a condom, every single time; and if someone likes and respects you enough to reveal to you that they are HIV positive, don't punish them for it.
I agree with what you said about people who are HIV positive. I understand all that, and I would NEVER want to stigmatize anyone who is HIV positive or say they shouldn't have sex. That is entirely up to them and their partners. But condoms do also break, can be used incorrectly and that can cause pregnancy and other problems obviously. Maybe that's what Vincent was referring to, I don't know.