History made as gay couple marries in Toronto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'm a Catholic living in sin through no fault of my own. The Catholic Church was the one who refused me to marry in their church and have the hide to imply it is sinful. "

All Catholics live in sin, its a prerequisite. Oh, that and guilt - don't forget the guilt.

As for the newlyweds, I wish them all the joy possible, and, at the risk of talking shop in such a topic of controversial implications, a new hairstyle. For the both of them. They could have 'made history' with a little more style.

Ant.

I mean you cant legislate everything/..sometimes you ahve to live your life and understand that as long as ppl aren't hurting you you ahve to live side by side with them

Canada Appreciation Post

Canada to Allow Same-Sex Marriage

By COLIN McCLELLAND, Associated Press Writer

TORONTO - Canada will change its law to allow homosexual marriage, joining Belgium and The Netherlands as the only countries where same-sex couples can legally wed, Prime Minister Jean Chretien announced Tuesday.

Chretien said the new law would be drafted within weeks and submitted to the Supreme Court of Canada for review, then put to a Parliament vote. His Liberal Party has a commanding majority in the legislature, though the issue has caused division in the Liberal caucus.

The announcement means the government decided against appealing recent court rulings that declared the nation's definition of marriage as unconstitutional because it specified the union of a man and woman.

An Ontario appeals court last week declared that wording invalid, changing it to a union between two people.

"There is an evolution of society," Chretien said in making the announcement after a Cabinet meeting. He said the law would allow religions the right to decide what marriages should be sanctified.

An Anglican diocese in Vancouver has approved a blessing for same-sex unions, which it says is separate from marriage. The blessing ceremony, performed once so far, caused a split in the diocese with some churches dissociating themselves.

Opinion polls indicate a slight majority of Canadians favor legalizing same-sex marriages. After the Ontario appeals court ruling and similar previous ones by courts in British Columbia and Quebec, the government was under pressure to change the law or file appeals that would have left the issue unsettled.

Justice Minister Martin Cauchon said Tuesday it was time for change.

"We have decided not to appeal those rulings ... and proceeded with draft legislation that will be ready shortly ," he said. The new law would redefine marriage as called for by the courts while protecting religious freedoms, according to Cauchon.

"We're talking about essential freedoms here," he said.

Svend Robinson, a Parliament member for the leftist New Democratic Party who has pushed for same-sex marriages in Canada, praised Chretien's government for showing leadership. He rejected opposition by conservative political groups, who argue that changing the definition of marriage uproots a fundamental tenet of Canadian society.

Dozens of homosexual couples have obtained marriage licenses in the week since the court ruling, with at least one wedding taking place.

In the United States, homosexual marriage lacks full legal recognition in all 50 states. Vermont recognizes civil unions that give homosexual couples the full benefits and responsibilities of marriage but are separate from legal marriage.

"Americans now have the chance to see a society can treat gay people with respect," said Evan Wolfson, executive director of the New York-based Freedom to Marry organization promoting homosexual marriage. "Families are helped, and no one is hurt."

-------------------------------------

Yes, I can finally celebrate! To those who are opposed to gay marriage, I have only this to say: don't have one! Join a church that doesn't permit it--and I'm guessing that most of you probably do anyway. That's it! It doesn't affect your life one iota, and, hopefully, Canada will show the bigots of this world how little it affects their lives anyway. This legislation gives gay people true equality finally, and, with every step, straight people have lost nothing at all. Bitch, whine, moan all you want, but you know its the truth, just like giving women the right to vote and integrating blacks into society.

Bigots still have every right to congregate and look like the insular morons that they always have been, but that's their right. But it isn't like straight people did a great job with marriage themselves anyway. Why do gay people have to prove anything with heterosexuals having high divorce rates and trashing it in reality television? Maybe gay people will treat it better than heterosexuals, who always take things for granted. Until you know oppression, you'll never know freedom...

...and how wonderful it smells! If the U.S. doesn't shape up in a few years, I'll add to the illustrious list of dual American/Canadian citizens.

Melon

Wonderful news.

It's 2003, nice to see my country joining the new millenium. :yes:

Holy crap melon! That is exciting!! What a great way to start the new century! Wow. I'm so happy that the ball is finally rolling toward progress and equality and equal opportunity and access.

Someday our country will realise that the legal union of two people who love each other and commit to each other is no threat to anyone.

We'll have a party when that happens. I'll buy you a grape soda!

bonoman said:
Though MR. Jean is going to make it legal does not mean it will be legal in all provineces. My premier has said that he will use the not with standing clause and not alow them in Alberta. I stand behind my Premier.

Eh...it's Alberta. Who cares?

But don't expect it to happen without a court challenge.

Melon

Wow, Melon, I opened the paper this morning and thought of you at once. Looks like you beat me to posting it!

Told ya you'd love it here! ;) This is a very proud day for Canada.

:up:

bonoman said:
Though MR. Jean is going to make it legal does not mean it will be legal in all provineces. My premier has said that he will use the not with standing clause and not alow them in Alberta. I stand behind my Premier.

Ralph Klein is an asshole.

When Ontario banned Alberta beef, he went running and whining how the provinces must stick together.

Except of course, when it doesn't suit him.

I was in Detroit last night and I got to watch teh CBC News.

They did a report about couples from all over North America running to Toronto to exchange vows (U.S. and Canadian couples). At the end of the story...the anchor talked about how Toronto was quickly becoming the "Gay Las Vegas."

Well as much as you dislike Klein he is by far the best priemer in the country. He has turned Alberta into the richest terrortory in North America and stands by his feelings. I only hope more premier do the same. Simple as that.

Eh...I'm not in the mood to argue.

It's still just Alberta; give me Ontario or BC anyday. And still expect a court challenge.

Melon

Last edited:
bonoman said:
Well as much as you dislike Klein he is by far the best priemer in the country.

Oh my God. I can't even say anything else. If that's the best we've got, heaven help us.

When his competition are the likes of Ernie Eves and Mike Harris, is it any wonder?

I'll also take Ontario or BC any day.

martha said:
Holy crap melon! That is exciting!! What a great way to start the new century! Wow. I'm so happy that the ball is finally rolling toward progress and equality and equal opportunity and access.

Someday our country will realise that the legal union of two people who love each other and commit to each other is no threat to anyone.

Exactly.

I'm glad that Canada's gonna do that. Smart move on their part.

As for the guy who won't allow them in Alberta, on the other hand...time to get out of your little time warp, pal.

Angela

According to very recent polls, over 50% of Canadians favoured gay marriage in Canada anyway. I say, it's nice that Cretien listened to his country's people on this one. :up:

Last edited:
Atticus Finch said:
Iam a little old fashion. Two gentlemen lying together makes me a bit nervous.
It doesnt matter if they're Canadian gentlemen.
I have no problem with Canadians.

Atticus.

Yet two women would probably turn you on. Bit of a double standard don't you think? This isn't aimed just to you Atticus, I know many a straight men who are extremely homophobic with two men, but are turned on by two women.

This really isn't an issue of what turns us on or off. It's not about heterosexual/homosexual drives and turnoffs so much as it is about people who are in love or who simply want to get married but are refused the right of marriage - a right which is given to heterosexual couples strictly on the basis of being born a certain way, something which has always been this way and has now entered the realm of dogma.

Because this is an equality issue, and I live in a democratic country (that supposedly listens to the wishes of its people), and because this country supports this legislation, I suppose it is by virtue of being a citizen of this country that I'm involved in this issue - but that's where it ends. The fact that the idea of sleeping with men does not turn me on, specifically, really has ZERO to do with the crux of this issue, and should be respected accordingly.

Michael Griffiths said:
This really isn't an issue of what turns us on or off. It's not about heterosexual/homosexual drives and turnoffs so much as it is about people who are in love or who simply want to get married but are refused the right of marriage - a right which is given to heterosexual couples strictly on the basis of being born a certain way, something which has always been this way and has now entered the realm of dogma.

Because this is an equality issue, and I live in a democratic country (that supposedly listens to the wishes of its people), and because this country supports this legislation, I suppose it is by virtue of being a citizen of this country that I'm involved in this issue - but that's where it ends. The fact that the idea of sleeping with men does not turn me on, specifically, really has ZERO to do with the crux of this issue, and should be respected accordingly.

I agree, but wanted to point out the double standard that a lot of this society has. Why it would make one nervous is beyond me and why someone feels they have the right to outlaw others right to marry sickens me.

Why is that everyone here says they have the right to marry but it seems that i or other people dont have the right to disagree. I dont think its natural. Thats my opinion. You think it is natural. We disagree. But the only man that made this decsion is Jean (even though it had to be voted on, his word carries alot of power.) I would love to see a national vote on this issue.

And to say a recent poll said 50% of people supported it i would like to see the territorial differences of that poll. For example, Alberta is much more conservative then say Quebec. That it is my right and the right of Alberta citizens to say we dont think it is right and not to have it in our provience.

Where the hell is my hetero-pride week!

You have the right to disagree. You have the right to your own opinion. But no one can help it if almost everyone here disagrees with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom