Historic Circumstances - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 12-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:44 AM
He was also an illegitimate son whose father was Jewish. (I believe -- this is going back to high school now.)

You also can't ignore the social and economic issues tearing through Germany at the time, which certainly eased Hitler's rise to power. The country, which was going through a tremendous economic crisis and had been humiliated in the post-WWI process, was desperate for any kind of leadership.

Leaders are products of their times.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 09:44 PM
I think many of you are missing the point. I already am aware of how Hitler was brought up in factual history. I was hoping to stimulate some imagination and come up with some different historical situations.

One last try.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:44 AM
I can't really think a person like Hitler could have done similar in any other time.
I mean, the Holocaust could happen due to the technological development of that time.
Of course there could have been some genocide before, and if you think of the colonisation of the world and who Indian tribes, Aborigines and Africans were killed or even wiped out.
But that didn't happen with one leader in power, but with many people having the same goal.

And nowadays, we let shit like the Genocide in Rwanda or now in Darfur happen, but if it was to an extent similar to the Holocaust, attacking the neighbour countries, I don't think we would watch it like world leaders did in the late 1930's.

So, people will always be able to exploit their power, look at North Corea or any other dictatorship, but the extent Hitler was able to reach, I don't think this could ever be repeated, and as I said, technological development helped him very much, showing that it couldn't have happened before.