His hometown does not want him in their Hall of Fame. How Come? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 AM
His hometown does not want him in their Hall of Fame. How Come?

Moore Gets No Love From Old High School

Email this Story

Jan 15, 9:31 AM (ET)

(AP) Michael Moore, who will receive one of three Freedom of Expression awards, for his documentary...
Full Image

DAVISON, Mich. (AP) - Oscar on the shelf or not, Michael Moore is not getting much respect at his old high school. Despite his fame and many honors, the filmmaker has been rejected all four times that he has been nominated for Davison High School's Hall of Fame.

"Would you want him as a role model? Would you want your son or daughter to be like him?" asked Don Hammond, a member of the Hall of Fame selection committee. "I haven't talked to anybody yet who's for him. The word to describe Michael Moore is embarrassing. He embarrasses everybody."

Ryan Eashoo disagrees. The 1997 Davison High graduate has spent 80 hours the last two weeks and $600 of his own money trying to get Moore elected.

"We've been blacklisted," Eashoo, 25, told the Detroit Free Press. "I'm a huge Michael Moore fan. He's a great producer, great filmmaker, always sticking up for minorities. He's kind of an underdog."

So far, Eashoo has 300 signed nominations of Moore. His goal is 2,000 by Feb. 1. The committee meets Feb. 11 to choose its inductees.

Moore's film "Fahrenheit 9/11" attacked President Bush's rationale for the war in Iraq and accused him and his administration of fostering fear for political gain. Moore spent the weeks before the election traveling across the country to urge Americans to vote Bush out of office.

His "Bowling for Columbine" won the Oscar for best documentary in
He's no 'hometown' hero, how come?

db9

Old 01-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:08 AM
where is his hometown? he has a horrible accent
this coming from a southerner who can't stand yankee accents.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:08 AM
well, he's from Michigan, so he's got an upper-midwest accent (come talk to my relatives from Boston, *then* you'll get some real Yankee accents, u2democrat).

this is absurd. this is politics. the man is an Oscar Winner and a revolutionary in the field of documentary film.

note: those are two politically neutral terms ("oscar winner" and "revolutionary"). you don't have to agree with, or even like, Moore to recognize both his skill and his cultural impact.

what if a Christian filmmaker of equal stature (Oscar winner, say) were denied this?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

amen, irvine

ah michigan. no wonder his accent bugs me. though i think wisconsin accents drive me the craziest. like nails on a chalkboard.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 AM
i think he eats too many cheeseburgers

db9
Old 01-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Refugee

I think the way he tries to make his point is obnoxious.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

It's fairly obvious that he'd never win a popularity contest in his home town. But then *I* would never win a popularity contest in Birmingham if I were famous and it was known that I'm a political liberal. Of course my art isn't as political as Moore's is. I wouldn't round up too many votes around here all the same if it were known that I'd attended peace rallies.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

It's like me in my school. A little loudmouthed liberal like me sticks out like a sore thumb, therefore i get heckled alot. My fellow liberals (or closet-democrats as i call them) quietly applaud me.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Who cares? It's just like high school to let politics, popularity, or cliques get in the way of recognizing talent. High school sucks.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
It's like me in my school. A little loudmouthed liberal like me sticks out like a sore thumb, therefore i get heckled alot. My fellow liberals (or closet-democrats as i call them) quietly applaud me.
agreed w/BVS -- high school sucks.

and when you make it to DC, you'll make lots and lots of friends u2Democrat. 90% of the city voted for Kerry!
Old 01-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
Acrobat

Well, they don't have a Hall of Notoriety, but notoriety is a type of fame, so let him in
Old 01-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

i can't wait till i'm in washington. i love that city. do you enjoy living there?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

it's a great city, with some drawbacks. it's been called "a city of southern efficiency with northern charm." that sounds about right. it is traditionally stuffy, lots of lawyers and politicians. it's also traditionally very dangerous. these days, crime is the lowest it's been since 1986 (i think), the population is growing, so are rents. there's lots of diversity, it has a very international flavor, we're seening more in the way of home-grown artists, some great restaurants (and we get outstanding ethnic cuisine from traditionally underrepresented contries: El Salvador, Ethiopia, Vietnam). that said, the city is horribly mismanaged (but getting better), it gets horribly humid in the summer (when the city is crawling with interns), and traffic in the greater DC area is horrendous. it's a bit of a one-industry town -- politics -- but it's diversifying a bit in recent years (i work in television, for example, and *not* news) and will probably continue to do so.

and for some reason, we get really great sunsets that compliment the Georgian architecture in Dupont perfectly -- it can be really very beautiful in the best spots.

that said, DC will never be a world-class city like NYC, London, or Paris, but it's not a bad place to be.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Don't worry, Michael Moore still won the LGF fiskie award - only the biggest Idiotarians ever get them.

Old 01-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

funny cartoon.

yeah irvine i'm only an hour and a half from DC and so i go up there often. i know its dangerous but its no more dangerous than richmond. we have a higher murder rate than manhattan.