Hirsi Ali To Leave the Netherlands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the Dutch parliamentarian who became the target of radical Islamists for writing an Islam-critical screenplay, is planning to resign from her elected office and leave the Netherlands for the United States.

According to information obtained by SPIEGEL ONLINE, Hirsi Ali will make a public statement announcing her resignation on Tuesday. The move allegedly comes as a result of disillusionment caused by recent reports taking a critical look at her original entry into Holland in 1992. A television report aired last Thursday claimed that Hirsi Ali only received political asylum in the Netherlands because of false statements she made in her application.

According to a report in the Monday issue of the Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant, Hirsi Ali has accepted a post at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative Washington-based think tank. Since late 2004, she has been forced to keep a low profile in Holland after Islamist extremists murdered filmmaker Theo van Gogh for making "Submission," which included images of naked women with Koran verses painted on their bodies. The script for the film came from Hirsi Ali -- and she was explicitly threatened in the note found stabbed into van Gogh's chest.

When Hirsi Ali applied for asylum, she claimed she was fleeing civil war-torn Somalia. But she had already long held refugee status in Kenya -- and she faced no danger in Germany, the country through which she travelled on her way to the Netherlands. Additionally, the TV report claimed, she applied for asylum using a fake name. Her actual birth name, the program claimed, was Ayaan Hirsi Magan.

The revelations aired by the television station aren't new. Four years ago, Hirsi Ali admitted that she had falsified her asylum application in order to escape a forced marriage. "Yes, I did lie to get asylum in Holland," Hirsi Ali told the Associated Press over the weekend. "This has been public knowledge since at least September 2002." Political opponents said Hirsi Ali should be kicked out of parliament and her citizenship status revoked.

Hirsi Ali became a naturalized Dutch citizen in 1997 and has served as a member of the Dutch parliament in The Hague as a representative of the Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD) since 2002.
link

Without this atheist running about I am sure Europe will become a little less "Islamophobic", and thats a real pity :|

It must be very disapointed for her that 83 % of the people in the netherlands don`t think it is a shame that she will (need to) leave.

Well, our parliament is kicking other people out of the country for lying on their application, so I think it's only fair. Besides that, she's not being kicked out of the country, but leaving herself.

Whether I agree with it or not doesn't really matter, but I think that if you kick one person out for that reason, you shouldn't make a difference just because she's in the parliament.

Back
Top Bottom